Mercedes Russell

Volfan2012

Looking a lot bigger and stronger after sitting out a year. Impressed how her upper body has developed still a summer to get even stronger.

CA5XMjWXEAEYYb1.jpg

Reactions: 6 people
I've seen photos in the last 2 months of her easily jumping to touch rim. At 6'5, I'd think it would be pretty simple. They seem to point this out as if she wasn't able to do this last year because of injuries????
#ready4herreturn

Reactions: 2 people
Deadly lineup if we have 6'3'' shooting guards that can run the floor. Diamond will add a new dimension to our offense.

I want to see Lockwood teach Russell, Graves and Jones (next year) BASIC BACK TO THE BASKET LOW POST SCORING MOVES! You establish good position deep in the low post, you catch the pass, you turn strong one way or the other and go up strong for a shot. Or: jab-step fake in one direction--and then, with the defender out of position, go up strong the other way. No dribbling, no driving--no turnovers! It is low-post basketball 101--and yet I did not see Russell do this ONE time last year! It amazed me. Maybe I missed it. I don't think I've ever seen Graves do it, as she is not comfortable with her back to the basket--much prefers facing the basket. Good paint scorers have a sense of where the closest defender is and thus which way to turn with the ball.

Of course it is easer for a player with Russell's size to score from the low block with a back-to-basket move--but Graves could do it too, with her size--use your leverage and go up strong and QUICKLY, Bernard King style. Don't overcomplicate things--they lead to turnovers.

If we had had Russell this year, we'd have been formidable with a front-line of her, Graves and Burdick, with Reynolds and Carter at guard. Mass off the bench. We are going to miss the spot-up shooting of Burdick next year--pretty badly, I'm afraid. Nared and Graves and maybe Jones will try to fill the role--Nared, ideally, which would keep both Russell and Graves closer to the basket for rebounding.

Reactions: 1 person
If we had had Russell this year, we'd have been formidable with a front-line of her, Graves and Burdick, with Reynolds and Carter at guard. Mass off the bench. We are going to miss the spot-up shooting of Burdick next year--pretty badly, I'm afraid. Nared and Graves and maybe Jones will try to fill the role--Nared, ideally, which would keep both Russell and Graves closer to the basket for rebounding.

Nared shoots the ball pretty well when she decides to shoot. And by her being a good rebounder Holly will keep her on the wing. And as Burdick i will disagree we are not missing much she had her time to shine.

I want to see Lockwood teach Russell, Graves and Jones (next year) BASIC BACK TO THE BASKET LOW POST SCORING MOVES! You establish good position deep in the low post, you catch the pass, you turn strong one way or the other and go up strong for a shot. Or: jab-step fake in one direction--and then, with the defender out of position, go up strong the other way. No dribbling, no driving--no turnovers! It is low-post basketball 101--and yet I did not see Russell do this ONE time last year! It amazed me. Maybe I missed it. I don't think I've ever seen Graves do it, as she is not comfortable with her back to the basket--much prefers facing the basket. Good paint scorers have a sense of where the closest defender is and thus which way to turn with the ball.

Of course it is easer for a player with Russell's size to score from the low block with a back-to-basket move--but Graves could do it too, with her size--use your leverage and go up strong and QUICKLY, Bernard King style. Don't overcomplicate things--they lead to turnovers.

Yes, it is low post basketball 101. No let's turn it around. Let's say a post player is dominating the team. Would you not be demanding that Dean L. teach our players defensive post play 101.

See that's right. OTHER TEAMS know teach their defenders to not be so easily beaten by these basic moves. There are also other considerations. Some players are better going one direction than another and scouting reports reveal that so teams will force them to the weak side with double teams or overplaying. Teams can front up so it is harder to get low post position; fouls can lead a player to not be as aggressive in posting up.

Players like Graves, or Nicky Anosike before her, are strong and athletic but can't jump three inches off the ground. So, they can up as strong as they want but they are still vulnerable to taller shot blockers.

Given that we know Russell had serious foot problems last season, her foot work (key to post position) and jumping ability was seriously compromised, which would explain her general ineffectiveness. Hopefully, she will be able to dominate the paint next season.

Last edited:
Yes, it is low post basketball 101. No let's turn it around. Let's say a post player is dominating the team. Would you not be demanding that Dean L. teach our players defensive post play 101.

See that's right. OTHER TEAMS know teach their defenders to not be so easily beaten by these basic moves. There are also other considerations. Some players are better going one direction than another and scouting reports reveal that so teams will force them to the weak side with double teams or overplaying. Teams can front up so it is harder to get low post position; fouls can lead a player to not be as aggressive in posting up.

Players like Graves or Nicky Anosike before here, are strong and athletic but can't jump three inches off the ground so, they can up as strong as they want but they are vulnerable to taller shot blockers.

Given that we know Russell has serious foot problems last season, her foot work (key to post position) and jumping ability was seriously compromised, which can explain her general ineffectiveness. Hopefully, she will be able to dominate the paint next year.

Well said and you are correct about Nicky Anosike athletic but can't jump. But what made her special her ability to defend anyone on the court at 6-4 anyone.

Reactions: 3 people
Nared shoots the ball pretty well when she decides to shoot. And by her being a good rebounder Holly will keep her on the wing. And as Burdick i will disagree we are not missing much she had her time to shine.

I wasn't a big fan of Burdick's her first 3 years, but she's been a very, very good player for Tennessee this year. Thankfully, it's not Nared that will be counted to replace her...Diamond will fill the gap left by Burdick (and then some) quite effortlessly.

I want to see Lockwood teach Russell, Graves and Jones (next year) BASIC BACK TO THE BASKET LOW POST SCORING MOVES! You establish good position deep in the low post, you catch the pass, you turn strong one way or the other and go up strong for a shot....No dribbling, no driving--no turnovers! .

I understand your point but that is not Graves' game. If she gets the ball in the low post against South Carolina and turns to shoot she will have her shot blocked every time. Russell, yes, perhaps, but not Graves.

understand your point but that is not Graves' game. If she gets the ball in the low post against South Carolina and turns to shoot she will have her shot blocked every time. Russell, yes, perhaps, but not Graves.

Most of us have recognized how more offensive Graves has been after Izzy's injury. An earlier poster mentioned post players learning low block moves. Izzy was outstanding in splitting defenders half hooks with either hand - which is why she was on her way to be an All-American. Graves worked between and among the taller Pitt players as she is doing with little post help these days. South Carolina's game plan was to draw fouls on her as I believe most teams have similar desires. And to continue the belief that women can and should jump as do men in both shot blocking and rebounding. It is not the same.

Diamond is a great mid-range shooter 49 percent at NC. Her three point shooting wasn't so good giving her overall about 43 percent. She shot around 30 from the three

Diamond is a great mid-range shooter 49 percent at NC. Her three point shooting wasn't so good giving her overall about 43 percent. She shot around 30 from the three

True but 30 percent is enough to respect her shot so you can't cometly lay off of her.

True but 30 percent is enough to respect her shot so you can't cometly lay off of her.

Plus she could definitely be better than that because she was better in high school. I think she got to NC and about mid-season started thinking what have I done? I'm thinking around the 35 percent mark for Tennessee.

I'm glad this thread was started.....honestly what are you all's expectations of Russell next year? I'm quite optimistic she will no doubt be a threat for us both defensively and offensively just due to her height alone. However, I have been thinking, she is coming off of foot surgery which is quite significant for a tall post player who no doubt will have to deal with constant beatings in the SEC next year, what will she really be able to do....what are you all's thoughts. Will she be a double double machine? Will she lead the teams in blocks? Will she be a legitimate scoring option in the post for us? Will she play soft, will she play hard? If Bashaara keeps her incredible feat of offensive performances throughout the tournament going, one can only imagine how much that will help her confidence going into next year, will she go back to deferring cause we have another legitimate post on the floor?

I feel expectations are really high for not only Diamond next year but for Mercedes as well and I think she knows it. I know Diamond will most definitely help us get back to "ELITE" status but a lot, a lot depends on Mercedes Russell and how she develops over the summer and into next year. If Mercedes can come in and give us 12-13.0 points per game and 6-8.0 rebounds......I'm ever so hopeful and full of confidence that we'll be singing high high praises to this team next year.

Yes, and its comes at time where there are going to be some talented centers in the game the next five years.

Russell has to be good, but Diamond is a better bandaid than any player we've had since Parker, she can mask a lot of offensive inefficiency. We need to become better shooters for the four and five offense to really be potent and average high 40s fg%.

Teams with string centers:

MD
Uconn
FSU
Baylor
Txam
USC
ND
Minn

Just looking at the progress she has made in upper body strength I think she will be a legitimate double double player. She could have been that as a freshmen with more playing time. If you look at her stats if you double her minutes she was a double double player. I believe the player we'll see next season will be like night and day. I expect her to be All SEC next season.

Yes, and its comes at time where there are going to be some talented centers in the game the next five years.

Russell has to be good, but Diamond is a better bandaid than any player we've had since Parker, she can mask a lot of offensive inefficiency. We need to become better shooters for the four and five offense to really be potent and average high 40s fg%.

Teams with string centers:

MD
Uconn
FSU
Baylor
Txam
USC
ND
Minn

Of those teams we will get to see her go up against Coates (USC) I'm assuming you're referring to Mitchell and Hillsman for (TxAM) and Turner for (ND).....I'm not sure we have any games going with MD in the coming years but they do have a great post in Brionna Jones I believe. UCONN will have that transfer Butler, which I'm assuming we won't see until the Championship game. :) but Russell will have some legit test throughout the season with USC, TxAM and ND. I'm also not sure if we play Texas again next year. Mercedes will certainly get a test with Mghee-Stafford and Lang in the post. I'm anxious to see what she does against those oppenents next year.

Just looking at the progress she has made in upper body strength I think she will be a legitimate double double player. She could have been that as a freshmen with more playing time. If you look at her stats if you double her minutes she was a double double player. I believe the player we'll see next season will be like night and day. I expect her to be All SEC next season.

I also believe she had a pretty good field goal percentage as a freshman as well which will only help if she can maintain that aspect of her game. Her rebounding had already picked up in the second half of the season her freshman year as well. With her already noticeably getting stronger upper body wise, you're right, I expect her to be a double double machine as well. She at least as the tools to be one.

VN Store

Back