If Pitt and UT played again tomorrow...

LVJeff

If Pitt and UT played again tomorrow who would win and what would the margin of victory be?

Would Holly play a zone instead of man defense?

Would the defense aggressively double team the ball handler on the screen-and-roll and send a 3rd player to cover the screener?

Would the officials allow Graves to be mugged and the UT perimeter players to be pushed, bodied, and shoved without calling fouls?

Would Graves miss 5 or 6 point blank layups?

Would Ariel miss two free throws at the start of the game?

Paraphrasing an ancient Chinese curse: May these three officials live in interesting times.

Who really cares, the fact is we won when it counted. What if all of UCONN's players were ruled academic ineligible and the top 3 under classmen transferred to Tennessee and were immediately eligible? Then we win 3 straight National Championships. If you are going to dream, what if, go big or stay at home.:eek:lol:

Last edited:
If Pitt and UT played again tomorrow who would win and what would the margin of victory be?

Would Holly play a zone instead of man defense?

Would the defense aggressively double team the ball handler on the screen-and-roll and send a 3rd player to cover the screener?

Would the officials allow Graves to be mugged and the UT perimeter players to be pushed, bodied, and shoved without calling fouls?

Would Graves miss 5 or 6 point blank layups?

Would Ariel miss two free throws at the start of the game?

Paraphrasing an ancient Chinese curse: May these three officials live in interesting times.

I'll play.

Keisel got away with murder. You could see Massengale and Carter getting frustrated because the refs were letting Keisel hand check and body check with impunity while any touch on Keisel was being called a foul.

And apparently Graves has inherited the open season slot formerly held by Izzy.

But it is not the first time nor will it be the last time that the refs give a small aggressive guard a license to steal while letting our post players get mugged.

The LVs will need to adapt to this scenario. And here the absence of Izzy's shot blocking presence is a problem. Guards are going to drive the lane on the LVs which means our perimeter players have to do better in denying the ball and keeping opposing guards out of the lane. But that is a BIG challenge when the game is called like this one.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I'll play.

Keisel got away with murder. You could see Massengale and Carter getting frustrated because the refs were letting Keisel hand check and body check with impunity while any touch on Keisel was being called a foul.

And apparently Graves has inherited the open season slot formerly held by Izzy.

But it is not the first time nor will it be the last time that the refs give a small aggressive guard a license to steal while letting our post players get mugged.

The LVs will need to adapt to this scenario. And here the absence of Izzy's shot blocking presence is a problem. Guards are going to drive the lane on the LVs which means our perimeter players have to do better in denying the ball and keeping opposing guards out of the lane. But that is a BIG challenge when the game is called like this one.

I thought Holly stated after Harrison went out that she would have to play zone. Unless I am mistaken she played no zone tonight. Maybe I missed it but if not, why didn't she? (Which was the point of my totally misunderstood thread).

On the season Pitt shot 196-628 from 3-point range which is 31.2%. Keisel and #24 were 34% and 35%, respectively, which is good but not great. By contrast UT was 162 of 467 or 34.7%. I suppose you are correct, but I don't see Pitt as being particularly good from beyond the arc.

Zone all night and box-in-1 on their only scorer. Her game was drive and hope for a foul. The refs helped her to her best game of the year. A zone would have kept her outside and a hand in the face would have kept her below 34% from beyond the arc

Playing man-to-man was fine for most of the game--but when Keisel started killing us with drives to the basket, Warlick perhaps should have switched to a zone for a bit in the last 10 minutes of the game. Changing defenses often takes teams out of their offensive rhythm--that's a big reason why you do it. This is what worries me about Warlick. One of our problems for several years has been an inability to put the hammer down on inferior teams--an ongoing issue. Almost every game, we have this stretches fo bad basketball that keep games closer than they should be. Our players have to recognize when Graves has got space, and is defended by one player--and when she is not. And Graves has got to recognize when she has space--and when she doesn't she needs to kick the ball outside and not hold it and not try to muscle up a shot through four outstretched arms--as she tried to do multiple times in the second half last night. After the first 10 minutes, Pitt started collapsing on Graves--and yet our team did not recognize this.

Also, when you've got an open 8 foot shot, it is generally a good idea to take it and not try to get four-feet closer to the basket. We passed up a lot of easy shots around the foul line.

Reactions: 2 people
I thought Holly stated after Harrison went out that she would have to play zone. Unless I am mistaken she played no zone tonight. Maybe I missed it but if not, why didn't she? (Which was the point of my totally misunderstood thread).
Zone press in the first half. It made others handle and make decisions instead of Keisal. That is also what the did on that last possession that Pittsburgh coughed it up.

Last edited:
If Pitt and UT played again tomorrow would we have to hear the announcers say Keisel about 500 times.....I sure hope not cause I got tired to hearing it last night.

They hit their max in that game last night. I doubt Pitt could get that kind of play out of their team again.

Lady Vols please stop the turnovers and trying to force the ball into such a small window....if you all hustled like Carter and Graves....this would be such a better team.....you have enough talent on the team to make the final 4 but we won't if you keep playing the way you are....missing layups and having wide open shots and then try to make the impossible pass that turns into turnovers....Us and UConn use to be the best in the women's game but we have taken 2 steps back.....UConn would kill us the way we are playing....player and coaches both need to get there act together and fix this problem while we are still in it don't we will be setting home watching the final four and wishing we was there........please get back to the old Lady Vols I miss watching them!!!!!

Most of our turnovers are a matter of bad decision making and AMass getting the ball stolen from her. I do hope that next year's team produces a real point guard. One would think that we would be a better thinking team at this point. Also we pass the ball far too much when we have an open shot. Graves can shot the 10 to 15 footer, so why put the ball on the floor for a closer look or make an ill advised pass? As one poster stated why try to power a shot over and into a mass of arms. Did Pitt mug Graves and get away with it, and no fouls were called, yes they did, however, when there are three people sagging in on you feed the ball out.

Carter made two outstanding dribble drives to the basket and scored, why is it we don't see that but every now and then? We seem to have the parts for an amazing team, however, we just do not seem to bring it all together consistently. Yes I know we win anyway, and I am happy for that, but bad decision making is a potential road to disaster.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back