What would you rather happen scenario

Volngeorgia

So, I'm watching some of the men's games Thursday (loved all the exciting endings) with a couple of Tennessee fans when the subject turned to the LVs.

One guy who is just a casual women's hoops fan looked at my women's bracket and said, " whoa, I hope we don't make it to the final four and get blown out by Uconn in the semifinals. That would really set UTs program back."
I said that that is a distinct possibility but that hanging another final four banner would be good and that playing Uconn would show us just how far we need to improve.

So, what do you think? (If these are ur only 2 choices).
Would you rather lose a one pointer in the Elite Eight or win in the elite eight and lose by 30 to Uconn in the final four semis?

So, I'm watching some of the men's games Thursday (loved all the exciting endings) with a couple of Tennessee fans when the subject turned to the LVs.

One guy who is just a casual women's hoops fan looked at my women's bracket and said, " whoa, I hope we don't make it to the final four and get blown out by Uconn in the semifinals. That would really set UTs program back."
I said that that is a distinct possibility but that hanging another final four banner would be good and that playing Uconn would show us just how far we need to improve.

Would you rather lose a one pointer in the Elite Eight or win in the elite eight and lose by 30 to Uconn in the final four semis?

We will likely lose by 30 because Harrison is lost for the season. But with her, we would still lose but not by such a large margin.
Hell, let's play UCONN and lose.

U.T. vs. UCONN is like Manning vs. Brady.

FFs should be the goal every year for the LVs.

Reactions: 2 people
They need to make the Final Four...PERIOD!

Yes, it would suck to lose to Geno again, but the players on this team need to know what it feels like to play on the biggest stage, and also what it takes to get there.

One of the reasons UConn is so successful is that their players know what it takes to win. Same with Notre Dame. They have been to many consecutive Final Fours, and that experience can be passed down to new players every season. Tennessee hasn't had that luxury since Candace & Co left. Look at the players left: Alex Fuller, Bjorklund, Cain, Smallbone, & McMahan.

Alex couldn't teach those younger players by herself, and Bjorklund was the only one from the NC besides Fuller to get a lot of playing time, but she was only a Sophomore. The 2009 Baby Vols were destined to fail from the beginning, simply because they didn't have the leadership that freshman need when coming into a perennial power. They were thrown into the fire in their first game and it never let up. They weren't given the option of learning from seasoned veterans, and that has continued through the players we have now.

The players need to get back to the Final Four, more than Holly does. Holly knows what it takes, but it's up to the players to get there.

Reactions: 1 person

I say bring 'em on. If Stanford can beat them, we've got just as good a shot as any.

This isn't even a debate, the goal EVERY year is to make the Final Four...

The Goal is to win the Final Four Every year.. And it starts with recruiting the number1 class in the country every year.. Its what Pat did.

At this point it is make the final 4 period! that would be a good step..... and playing UConn would be a good thing regardless of outcome..... in a single elimination game anything can happen..... and cannot fear the competitor..... as Herb Brooks said before the Americans faced the Soviets at Lake Placid "You go up to the tiger, you spit in his eye, and then you shoot him!!"

Uaconn right now has the best coach in woman's basketball. And he said it best before the reveal show. If you look at your bracket and cry. Why even play. You have alread lost. Anything can happen. UConn is beatable. Maybe not by UT this season. Lady Vols are one to two players away from being a damn good team. Harrison injury proved that. We need post help. Or our guards need to be hot.

I would hope for the final four, but if we have to lose, anyone except UCONN. I think we are only a year away from standing toe to toe with anybody.

How much cred will Ucon get for beating a team with four players sitting on the bench and unable to play, including their leading scorer and rebounder?

Reactions: 4 people
How much cred will Ucon get for beating a team with four players sitting on the bench and unable to play, including their leading scorer and rebounder?

None here,FP,except from the UConn trolls that infest this board. However,their boards would be rampant with grandiose rhetoric and no mention of injured would be made.

Reactions: 4 people
When the coaching staff starts demanding the best and pushing our players to extreme measures in practice we will see different results. I have great respect to this day for everyone in my life that pushed me to work harder than the next…
Good article on ESPN:“(During last year's college basketball season, Rebecca Lobo watched in person a number of Connecticut's practices. And during one of these afternoons, the former UConn star and current ESPN analyst noticed something strikingly familiar: coach Geno Auriemma running ragged one of the team's best players. Lobo also instantly recognized the drill: one-on-one from the wing, the emphasis on defense. The players form a line at each wing. First player in line is the defender; next one has the ball. If the defender gets a stop, she rotates to the back of the opposite line; if she gives up a bucket, she immediately runs to the opposite wing to try again -- against a fresh offensive player. The thing about this drill: Each repetition is exhausting. So if you don't get a stop within the first two attempts, the likelihood of ever getting one plummets. After successive reps against fresh teammates? Might as well wave the white flag. Except, of course, a white flag doesn't exist at UConn. The day Lobo watched, then-sophomore Breanna Stewart found herself caught in the middle. She failed to get a stop on either of the first two attempts, and things quickly deteriorated from there. Auriemma stood on the sideline, watching, relentless in his scorn. On her third try, Stewart fouled the offensive player -- an act of surrender, really.
The star forward stood, chest heaving, legs burning. But Geno didn't care. "Go again!" he called. Again, Stewart had to foul to stop the offensive player from scoring. From the sideline came calls of encouragement. Teammates Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson yelled, "You got this, Stewie, stay focused!" (Both players had empathy. They had found themselves caught in the middle -- literally and metaphorically -- more times than they cared to remember.) "Go again," Auriemma said. He wanted his young forward to find a reserve she didn't know she possessed. Figure out a way to win. Eventually, someone missed a jumper and Stewart beat the drill. After practice, Lobo asked Auriemma about the moment. "That's the Taurasi drill," he said, referring to former UConn star Diana Taurasi. "She used to do the same thing -- just foul the hell out of people because she knows she's too tired to stop them." Sometimes players will explain a demanding coach's behavior by using the phrase "breaking point." As in, "Geno Auriemma knows Breanna Stewart's breaking point." The assumption in that statement is that coaches won't push their players past that point. In Auriemma's case, that's a lie. "He doesn't care what anyone's breaking point is," Lobo says. "He pushes you to where he needs you and if you break before then, that's on you. There are a handful of people who transfer, and that's almost always why."
Lobo speaks from experience. As a UConn sophomore -- this was back in 1993 -- Lobo was miserable. Auriemma was on her every day in practice. If she made a mistake more than once, he would stop practice and ridicule her in front of the team. "He's not into pulling anyone aside," she says. Needing to change something about the dynamic, Lobo went into his office to talk. He pulled out the media guide, flipped to her page. "Says here that you want to play on the Olympic team," he said. "Yes," Lobo responded, cautiously.
"Well, some days in practice, you're good," he said. "Some days, you're terrible. You have what it takes to make the Olympic team, but if you don't make it, it's because I failed you." Lobo could work with that explanation.”)End
Can you guess how many times this happens in UT practice? It’s not for everyone not even the soft so-called lady vol fans only the strong will survive…

VN Store

Back