Andy Landers retiring

mtsuraider06

Seth Emerson‏@SethEmerson
Big news in Georgia athletics: Longtime women's basketball head coach Andy Landers is retiring. UGA just announced.

HUGE opening with tons of in-state talent. If the new coach can close the borders, Georgia would scary good.

Georgia wont spend big money for a Women's Basketball coach because nobody gives a dayamm about Women's Basketball at UGA. UT has nothing to worry about and hopefully Holly can grab a lot of Georgia talent now that UGA will probably have a nobody who was hired on the cheap

Given how long he has been coaching and that his last string of teams have underachieved, it is inevitable that he move on. But I'm going to miss him!

He certainly coached some great players in his day.

Reactions: 1 person
Georgia wont spend big money for a Women's Basketball coach because nobody gives a dayamm about Women's Basketball at UGA. UT has nothing to worry about and hopefully Holly can grab a lot of Georgia talent now that UGA will probably have a nobody who was hired on the cheap

People said the same thing about South Carolina before Staley.

Georgia will get a really good coach, because the SEC is the premier conference in the country. With exposure, and the talent level in Georgia, if Georgia doesn't go after a good name, they are crazy!

Reactions: 2 people
Several of the boarders guessed that his "retirement" was possible after his remarks about not going to the WNIT.

The response of getting a "great coach" is an interesting statement when it comes to defining great. VA hired a great coach, Duke has a great coach (?) Two of the SEC commentators are women who have taken teams to a championship. Alabama hired a name great coach who achieved at one school but not at another. Staley was IMO a given to succeed but I don't know many other ex-players who have her name recognition. Southern Cal and UCLA have a similar attempt. La Tech's previous coach was as close to Staley as anyone I could name and a former player there but couldn't achieve. I noticed that Ohio U won there conference and tourney -something that a former LV (Boo) never had a winning record there. Kelly wasn't able to recruit at the ACC required level at NC State. It will be an interesting hire.

People said the same thing about South Carolina before Staley.

Georgia will get a really good coach, because the SEC is the premier conference in the country. With exposure, and the talent level in Georgia, if Georgia doesn't go after a good name, they are crazy!

The SEC and ACC are neck and neck(with maybe the ACC having a slight lead) in women's college basketball.

I always liked Andy. I know, I'm crazy. His players always spoke well of him and for some reason I always felt a little badly for him that he always had Pat and Tennessee to contend with and usually could never win.

The SEC and ACC are neck and neck(with maybe the ACC having a slight lead) in women's college basketball.

In WBB yes, I would agree. In terms of the conference as a whole (football, MBB, WBB, soccer, softball, baseball, etc.) and the exposure the SEC Network offers with ESPN, it isn't close. The SEC is the premier conference in the country.

I always liked Andy. I know, I'm crazy. His players always spoke well of him and for some reason I always felt a little badly for him that he always had Pat and Tennessee to contend with and usually could never win.

Andy will have a nice retirement riding around on his tractor.

Andy at the 2015 tournament: "Nobody said this was a 3 minute deal. It's a 40 minute deal. They had their run, now let's go create one of our own". Listening to him was always funny. He got his butt handed to him in his last game.

He would have to take a pay cut more than likely but if I were Matthew Mitchell I would take a long hard look at this job.

His tenure at Kentucky seems to be in neutral a little bit with several disappointing seasons in a row. The most glaring reason to me is his inability to land elite elite level talent. Much bigger pool to pick from in Atlanta and although Stegeman isn't Thompson-Boiling, it isn't Memorial either.

Last edited:
He would have to take a pay cut more than likely but if I were Matthew Mitchell I would take a long hard look at this job.

His tenure at Kentucky seems to be in neutral a little bit with several disappointing seasons in a row. The most glaring reason to me is his inability to land elite elite level talent. Much bigger pool to pick from in Atlanta and although Stegeman isn't Thompson-Boiling it isn't Memorial either.

He would be better off at Kentucky because there's more interest in women's basketball at UK than at UGA. If I were UGA I might give Chattanooga's Jim Foster an interview.

Would Tyler Summitt ever consider moving to Georgia? Would they take the risk on a young man still learning the craft?

Strictly based on our previous head football coach, I think hiring someone into a SEC coaching position based on his parent's success as an SEC coach would be a mistake. Just sayin'.

Reactions: 2 people
No doubt Foster is a good coach, but I wouldn't hire him if I were the AD. Foster is in his late 60's and I don't see him being able to attract the in-state GA talent. GA needs to do what SC did - find a 30-something African-American female former player who can pull the recruits in. Kyra Elzy comes to mind.

No doubt Foster is a good coach, but I wouldn't hire him if I were the AD. Foster is in his late 60's and I don't see him being able to attract the in-state GA talent. GA needs to do what SC did - find a 30-something African-American female former player who can pull the recruits in. Kyra Elzy comes to mind.

Do you know if any of those players from the mid-late 1990's are in the coaching ranks? It might be one of them.

Teresa Edwards is a possibility. A little older but I think she is an asst. with the Atlanta Dream...

La'Keshia Frett played at Georgia and is asst. at Virginia. She was HS POY once upon a time. Katie Abrahamson-Henderson played a couple of years at Georgia before transferring to Iowa. She is current coach at Albany.

VN Store

Back