South Carolina Run Rules Lady Vol Softball

Putbacks

...or is that Tennessee Softball???

Erin Gabriel: from no hitter to no glitter.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I expected a loss but not a run rule. That surprises me. I expected the bats to be silent because it's a young LV lineup and they haven't seen enough quality pitching - and Blue for SC is very tough. However, Gabriel's performance is a surprise. I guess it's 2 steps forward and 1 step back on her road back to being a top pitcher. I am very impressed by how she has handled a very serious injury. Good luck and keep working at it, Erin.

What's happened to all these top ranked recruiting classes that the Weeks have supposedly brought in???? Oh well... looks like another Spring sport flop.

What's happened to all these top ranked recruiting classes that the Weeks have supposedly brought in???? Oh well... looks like another Spring sport flop.

This was a weak efford by the Weeks but hopefully the next game will be better

This is what happens when you strike out on evaluating pitching talent and do not promptly correct it. Don't get me wrong, the Weekly's have done a ton of things right, but the mismanagement of the pitching staff is gonna take its toll of this team.

SEC is tough this year. Would not shock me if they ended up with a sub .500 conference record.

Tough: Just when it looked like Gabriel was healthy and gaining confidence and living up to her billing coming to UT, she gets shelled by a mid-pack SEC team. Not good at all. AND we get shut out. I had a feeling this could be a tough year--and this is about the worst conference start you can have. I think the Weeklys were looking for one of the pitchers to grab the no. 1 pitching role, and now we have to say that Gabriel is not ready for it.

Now...keep yur drawers on. It ain't over yet. Way to early. :yes: :salute:

GO LADY VOLS!

The LadyVols should sweep bottom feeders like the LadyCocks.

The LadyCocks aren't quite bottom feeders anymore. They have a pretty good team and we'd better be ready to play them. That coach has done a pretty good job building that program.

Reactions: 4 people
we have the worst "fans" in the SEC.

My ignore list is going to expand to infinity.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
When the Lady Vols preseason ranking of 8th in the conference was unveiled, many shrugged it off with disdain. South Carolina was picked lower than that. We knew pitching was suspect, but taking into consideration the highly acclaimed batting beef that's been harvested by this program, a run-rule loss is glaring.

I believe the last time UT didn't host a regional in the NCAA tournament was more than a decade ago. This team may jeopardize that streak. If this pitching staff can't hold South Carolina, wait until it gets a load of Georgia, LSU, Alabama, and Kentucky.

I think they've been recruiting and building to come out strong next year when they are just Volunteers softball. It's kind of like the Braves rebuild for the new stadium.

I believe the last time UT didn't host a regional in the NCAA tournament was more than a decade ago. This team may jeopardize that streak. If this pitching staff can't hold South Carolina, wait until it gets a load of Georgia, LSU, Alabama, and Kentucky.

Lets see it was a shutout by SC -- they were supposed to be hitting heavy this season

When the Lady Vols preseason ranking of 8th in the conference was unveiled, many shrugged it off with disdain. South Carolina was picked lower than that. We knew pitching was suspect, but taking into consideration the highly acclaimed batting beef that's been harvested by this program, a run-rule loss is glaring.

The batting beef has been kind of slow to get going this year. I believe part of it is due to the weather they've had to deal with. They haven't faced very many good pitchers and when they have the games have been tight.

What was interesting about the game yesterday is those two pitches that the leadoff hitter hit out were not bad pitches. They had movement and one was a good change-up. That girl was just amped up and has been hitting well this season. One run was due to our outfielder missing a pretty easy fly ball. And, the one three run homer, the girl should have been called out on a third strike for the third out. It was a great pitch by Gabriel right on the edge of the plate and that idiotic ump called it a ball. Then the next pitch Gabriel threw a rise ball out of the zone which was also a good pitch and the girl swung at it anyway and jacked it over the fence. Also, none of our hitters performed well at all so it was kind of a perfect storm for Gabriel.

The thing that Gabriel has to learn and the Renfro's did so well is that if the umpire is not giving you calls, like that idiot yesterday, then you don't compensate by throwing it over the heart of the plate. She just has to keep working the edges and demanding the ump give her the calls. Yesterday there was some home cooking because that stupid ump was not giving her the calls he should have.

Folks, it's a young team. Six freshman and six sophomores. That's two-thirds of the team. Only two seniors - one of which didn't play last year and the other not playing much this year. Be patient with them and you will be rewarded.

VN Store

Back