SEC WBB coaches' salaries

I suspect Holly would be paid more if Pat wasn't still on the payroll. There is only so much to go around.

I think it is really hard to justify a lot of these salaries when none of these programs are making money and there is really no prospect that they ever will. The Lady Vols were breaking even for a while but I suspect that is no longer the case since we are carrying an extra position and revenues are likely down a bit for various reasons. Since a lot of the separate functions have been folded into the AD as a whole it would be harder to parse it out now without seeing the books and making some judgment calls.

Reactions: 1 person
We are way over paying for CHW. Dawn Staley is a steal, we need to open the check book and go after her or another good coach for the Vols. Don't feel sorry for KY, the men's basketball team makes so much money they just spread a little around to the womens coach.

We are way over paying for CHW. Dawn Staley is a steal, we need to open the check book and go after her or another good coach for the Vols. Don't feel sorry for KY, the men's basketball team makes so much money they just spread a little around to the womens coach.

You're an embarrassment to the human race.

Reactions: 5 people
Kentucky getting the shaft.

If you want to get paid for a subpar performance UK is the place to be. He doled out a half million raise to Mark Stoops solely based on recruiting success (which btw is still only good for 10th in the SEC at best). Re-read that and ponder how absurd that is.

Given what he's getting I doubt he will leave but I've argued for a year or two that Mitchell needs to leave the SEC if he wants to be a championship coach. Memorial Coliseum is a dump that will never enable him to attract top elite talent and there are no plans in the next 5 years to really renovate or move the games to Rupp.

If you want to get paid for a subpar performance UK is the place to be. He doled out a half million raise to Mark Stoops solely based on recruiting success (which btw is still only good for 10th in the SEC at best). Re-read that and ponder how absurd that is.

Given what he's getting I doubt he will leave but I've argued for a year or two that Mitchell needs to leave the SEC if he wants to be a championship coach. Memorial Coliseum is a dump that will never enable him to attract top elite talent and there are no plans in the next 5 years to really renovate or move the games to Rupp.
I put that because I don't like Mitchell.

Did you intend to use blue font?

I think it is really hard to justify a lot of these salaries when none of these programs are making money and there is really no prospect that they ever will.

Sorry but that is not how the college athletics' business model works. Revenue is not just about ticket sales. That is just one income stream. Other revenue comes from alumni donations, royalties from rights fees and sponsorships, and distributions from lucrative television contracts. And TV revenues are a major revenue stream.

WCBB has a significant fan and alumni following which creates a market; schools want competitive programs to tap into all these resource streams. And so that means there is demand for quality coaches. If South Carolina were to say to Dawn Staley, for example, "we can't justify your salary so here is a big pay cut," lots of other programs would quickly make large bids for her services. These salaries are justified by the market.

Among the potentially overpaid in this set, when Nicki took the LSU job. she was one of the highest demand coaches going, coming off her success as a UT assistant, her positive changes in the UCLA program, and not to be overlooked, providing a very attractive face for any program. I am not at all sure she could command the same salary today as when she signed with LSU becasue she has not delivered on the projected potential.

Dollar for dollar, Holly is looking like a good value for the program.

Last edited:
Apparently Melanie Balcomb whose salary isn't shown blows everyone away-

The Tennessean: "The second-highest total at Vanderbilt went to woman's head basketball coach Melanie Balcomb, at a little over $2.2 million. Men's basketball coach Kevin Stallings had $2.2 million in salary and benefits."

That's probably salary & benefits, not her base. When Balcomb was hired, Pat was still coaching and making over $1M. Geno got his salary raised to something similar to Pat's. WBB coaches all over the country were then getting their salaries raised relative to these 2 hot coaches. And Vandy wbb was still one of the successful programs. Balcomb's salary benefitted from all of these conditions, at the time. Could she command that salary today? Like Caldwell, probably not. Different market, and their reputations are going in the wrong direction.

VN Store

Back