Is Middleton's Playing Worse Then Before?

teacherdean

Is it just my imagination or does Middleton appear to be playing worse lately than before? Nared seem to be playing better.

Is it just my imagination or does Middleton appear to be playing worse lately than before? Nared seem to be playing better.

Middleton hasn't changed from the beginning of the season. Her competition has.

Nared, I agree, has started coming into her own lately.

Both should be solid players, though I anticipate that Nared will probably see significantly more playing time than Middleton.

Reactions: 1 person
Please let's not have another "Middleton is no-good" thread. Unfortunately, we already had one of those. She is a freshman and plays freshman-like against good competition. She had 3 years to improve. Leave the poor girl alone.

Reactions: 5 people

Teacher dean,Middleton is going through some growing pains that all freshmen go through. Despite being a good 3 point shooter,she knows that a shorter shot is higher percentage. She just has not learned that you don't pass up an open 3 pointer to dribble into the teeth of the defense to try a short shot. As I recall,Ariel went through the same thing as a freshman as she continuously tried to drive into traffic before she learned to pick her spots.

Coaching decisions relate to Middleton's issue. It was a coaching/roster issue to play her more minutes earlier than others. Coaching could fix the over driving instead of spot up jumper issue. If that has happened it is on her. We don't know if that is happening or not. But all freshmen that play significant minutes hit the wall this time of the season. Nared played less minutes earlier in the season and has been able to ease into more playing time. As a result she is improving faster. Which is good now that Harrison is hurt.

She is at present trying to do things she is really not capable of doing. Her game should be the outside shot and assisting inside players with great passes. Team not doing a lot to help her get off open shots. I think if she could get some open threes she would make a good percentage of them.

Please let's not have another "Middleton is no-good" thread. Unfortunately, we already had one of those. She is a freshman and plays freshman-like against good competition. She had 3 years to improve. Leave the poor girl alone.

My intent is not to castigate the young lady because I think she has potential. As I have seen on this site,I do not want her thought of as not being good because I believe that would be a mistake.

Holly does not emphasize the three-or it at least appears that way. Pat did not emphasize the three. She emphasized defense and rebounds. That is one area where Holly really needs to look at in the future is working on the skill set for her team for shooting threes. Having good three point shooters is not just about practicing shots from behind the arc. It is about developing specific skills for shooting the three. For instance-catch and shoot. Two or three times during the game they passed out to Middleton but instead of going up with a three immediately she chose to penetrate. I think this is because Holly has been emphasizing getting the ball into the paint. Carter is another one who could take more three point shots because she has been pretty effective for most of the season after her early season drought. Also, wish she would get Dunbar in more to take some threes. But, Middleton will be OK. Her game in the future will be to shoot threes and to drive for pull up jumpers. Don't think she will ever be very effective at driving into the paint. Also, Nared, she is going to be outstanding.

Holly does not emphasize the three-or it at least appears that way. Pat did not emphasize the three. She emphasized defense and rebounds. That is one area where Holly really needs to look at in the future is working on the skill set for her team for shooting threes. Having good three point shooters is not just about practicing shots from behind the arc. It is about developing specific skills for shooting the three. For instance-catch and shoot. Two or three times during the game they passed out to Middleton but instead of going up with a three immediately she chose to penetrate. I think this is because Holly has been emphasizing getting the ball into the paint. Carter is another one who could take more three point shots because she has been pretty effective for most of the season after her early season drought. Also, wish she would get Dunbar in more to take some threes. But, Middleton will be OK. Her game in the future will be to shoot threes and to drive for pull up jumpers. Don't think she will ever be very effective at driving into the paint. Also, Nared, she is going to be outstanding.

If Massengale is open for three, she will use it. They will also set screens from time to time so she can fire one off from behind the arc. Dunbar is another one that will fire away when she gets an open look from behind the arc.

Carter, Reynolds, Nared and Burdick won't shoot off a three as quickly as Massengale. Carter is getting more comfortable with the catch and shoot from behind the arc. Jordan still hesitates.

The issue with Middleton IMO is not Holly's marching orders, but that Alexa has absolutely no faith in her outside shot, so that's why she keeps trying to drive instead. She needs to do what Andraya did early in the season and just keep taking the shot until she's comfortable doing so in games. She's a decent outside shooter, so she should start notching a few makes to get her confidence up.

Reactions: 3 people

Dead. Middleton will be fine.

Reactions: 2 people
yes...she is not an sec level talent...bottom line..for about the 3rd time already...if she sees an increase in playing time until possibly her senior year then the lady vols are in deep trouble...nothing against her...you can tell she knows the game..but her athleticism is severely lacking at this level...it has been a long time,maybe ever honestly, that a lady vol has looked so out of place...she basically looks like a walk on most times

Never under estimate a hard worker. I think this young lady will reflect on this season and work the areas she needs to work on to become a better basketball player.

And if she is not able to contribute it wont be because her lack of not trying but other players on the roster are simply better.

Meme is going to be a project. So, don't expect her to be all world her freshman year; be prepared.

She learning the lil nuances like angles or run to spots to cut off rather than straight lines against athletic players. I think she will figure it out, to play at the level we need her to play is unrealistic and unfair.

As time goes by in a season teams usually play better and harder. She's having to adjust to this because it isn't high school BB anymore. The schedule is also longer than what she is used to. I think she will adjust and with more training she'll be a great BB player for the LVs. Hopefully, she's gotten an idea on what she needs to do better from getting some playing time this season. I'm also hoping that she'll work hard this summer and be much better next year.

I'd like to see Dunbar play more as well. Maybe she'll get some playing time in the game against Ala. If she does, it'll be great to see her knock down some 3s.

Midleton and Dunbar need to prove themselves in their remaining games this season because next year the numbers will be far worse. 3 seniors graduate but we bring in DeShields, Cooper and Jackson plus Russell and Jones who are sitting the rest of this year out. And who knows what will happen with Tucker. If all are healthy that will be 3 more players than we have right now. It's time for both Middleton and Dunbar to show what they can do.

I saw Alexa play in high school. She is a gamer. She is working hard and I think she will be a great player with more game experience. The competition is just so much better than what she saw in high school. All will be good.

VN Store

Back