Lady Vols A Would-Be No. 1 Seed

Nice, yes I think both Maryland and Baylor are good teams. I like MD better tho, I feel they are a better team. I do feel they are playing good b ball but they both haven't played anyone, and our worse lost, so we thought Chattanooga,who is now ranked aint so bad after all but still losing to UTC. ugh. Finish strong ladies, and remember SC is led by a freshman point guard.

I do not like our chances of advancing to the Final Four IF we are a #2 seed in a Regional with UConn, SC or ND. Therefore, it is imperative that the LV's keep a stronghold on the last #1 seed (or captures the #2 seed that does not play one of the three teams above). I like our chances to do this provided our only losses the rest of the way are to SC.

Reactions: 1 person
Nice, yes I think both Maryland and Baylor are good teams. I like MD better tho, I feel they are a better team. I do feel they are playing good b ball but they both haven't played anyone, and our worse lost, so we thought Chattanooga,who is now ranked aint so bad after all but still losing to UTC. ugh. Finish strong ladies, and remember SC is led by a freshman point guard.

SC's point guard is a junior. Cuevas comes off the bench.

Would love to see Kim Mulkey's face when she heard about this coming out. lol.
While I agree Baylor is a F4 contender program this year, the NCAA is CLEARLY sending a message out to programs. Play some competition, you will NOT be rewarded for cupcakes!

I applaud the NCAA for sending out this message. :)

Reactions: 3 people
While I agree Baylor is a F4 contender program this year, the NCAA is CLEARLY sending a message out to programs. Play some competition, you will NOT be rewarded for cupcakes!

Right! and a few games that we lost were without our best player. Plus we play in one of the hardest conferences. Maybe they should just but Baylor and Tennessee in the same bracket to let them determine who's the real #1 seed.

What am I missing? It does not look like cupcakes to me.

RPI Through games of Sun., Feb. 8, 2015

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - The Rating Percentage Index (RPI) is used by the NCAA women's basketball committee to supplement the selection of at-large teams and the seeding of all teams for the NCAA basketball tournament.

Rank Team W L SS Rk RPI
1. Tennessee 20 3 .6548 2 .6931
2. Baylor 22 1 .6215 16 .6930

Baylor's schedule isn't filled with cupcakes (although there do appear to be several) but it isn't nearly as difficult as TN and I'm surprised to see their RPI is so good. Baylor has played one team in the top 10 and that team (Texas) is currently not ranked in the top 25. Of the current top 25 teams, I believe they've only faced two: Syracuse (#19 then, #23 now) who they beat by 2 and Kentucky (#13 then, #10 now) who they lost to by 10.

TN has played 6 teams in the top 10 and won 4 of them. Both of the losses were road games and one of them our best player couldn't play due to injury. We are scheduled to play two more teams in the top 10 and could play two more depending on how the tournament pairings and results shake out.

Baylor's schedule isn't filled with cupcakes (although there do appear to be several) but it isn't nearly as difficult as TN and I'm surprised to see their RPI is so good. Baylor has played one team in the top 10 and that team (Texas) is currently not ranked in the top 25. Of the current top 25 teams, I believe they've only faced two: Syracuse (#19 then, #23 now) who they beat by 2 and Kentucky (#13 then, #10 now) who they lost to by 10.

TN has played 6 teams in the top 10 and won 4 of them. Both of the losses were road games and one of them our best player couldn't play due to injury. We are scheduled to play two more teams in the top 10 and could play two more depending on how the tournament pairings and results shake out.

Currently UT is 6/1 vs. Top 10 and Baylor is 1/1 vs. Top 10. SOS jumps around depending on whom is doing it, but Baylor is consistently @10 spots or more lower than UT. And, as said, two of the losses were w/o Izzy; @ND we had no excuses. I can understand why the Baylor people are upset (although why they are mad at UT doesn't make sense), and at the same time I can understand the current rankings too. Bottom line is: nothing matters until the final seedings...and even then, a #2 might be more beneficial than a #1.

My orange colored glasses predict no favors will be given to UT from the committee.

Last edited:
What am I missing? It does not look like cupcakes to me.

RPI Through games of Sun., Feb. 8, 2015

INDIANAPOLIS, INDIANA - The Rating Percentage Index (RPI) is used by the NCAA women's basketball committee to supplement the selection of at-large teams and the seeding of all teams for the NCAA basketball tournament.

Rank Team W L SS Rk RPI
1. Tennessee 20 3 .6548 2 .6931
2. Baylor 22 1 .6215 16 .6930

Baylor Competition =
KY (tenn plays twice, already won the first game, Baylor lost)
Syracuse (very good program, has played Duke, ND, UNC, Louis ... Baylor won by 2, neutral floor)
Michigan State (current record 12-13)
Ok State ( zero ZERO wins against any top 25 program this year)
Texas (playing without it's senior leader, and leading center, no longer a top 25 program without her)

I will give Baylor credit for it's win against Syracuse, that team is tough and has the making for a deep run in the tourney. Outside of that. Who is Baylor playing against? Cancelled Tennessee, Cancelled UCONN, Cancelled ND, Cancelled UCLA.

#dropsthemic

Sources:
Baylor Bears Official Athletic Site - BaylorBears.com - Women's Basketball Cowgirl Basketball Schedule - Oklahoma State Official Athletic Site Michigan State Official Athletic Site Syracuse University Athletics - 2014-15 Women's Basketball Schedule http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bay/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/release/release.pdf

Their lead guard or alpha guard is Cuevas, Sessions, Roy and Dozier are kinda like our Ariel and Draya.

Sessions plays 22 minutes per game to Bianca's 16. Sessions has a better ATO ratio, more steals and is a better defender.

Between the two, Sessions is fiestier, has more attitude and is a better PG. Cuevas has more offensive potential, but in the games I've seen Sessions does a better job of running the offense.

Not sure what you mean by comparing Roy and Sessions to Ariel/Draya. Those two are Tennessee's best guards. Tina Roy doesn't fit in.

I wouldn't be shocked with Tennessee, Baylor or Maryland in that last #1, but I note that Tennessee does well in the "wins vs the committee's top 20" category.

By the time the regular season ends, both Tennessee and South Carolina will have played each other (at least once) and one of the two (or both) will have lost. If Maryland and Baylor both run the table, one of the two will replace one of the SEC teams for the fourth spot.

Baylor Competition =
KY (tenn plays twice, already won the first game, Baylor lost)
Syracuse (very good program, has played Duke, ND, UNC, Louis ... Baylor won by 2, neutral floor)
Michigan State (current record 12-13)
Ok State ( zero ZERO wins against any top 25 program this year)
Texas (playing without it's senior leader, and leading center, no longer a top 25 program without her)

I will give Baylor credit for it's win against Syracuse, that team is tough and has the making for a deep run in the tourney. Outside of that. Who is Baylor playing against? Cancelled Tennessee, Cancelled UCONN, Cancelled ND, Cancelled UCLA.

#dropsthemic

Sources:
Baylor Bears Official Athletic Site - BaylorBears.com - Women's Basketball Cowgirl Basketball Schedule - Oklahoma State Official Athletic Site Michigan State Official Athletic Site Syracuse University Athletics - 2014-15 Women's Basketball Schedule http://grfx.cstv.com/photos/schools/bay/sports/w-baskbl/auto_pdf/2011-12/release/release.pdf

Everything you say is correct, but the committee seems to have its own rating system, and I think the RPI is heavily weighted in it. I'm not disagreeing with you; it just seems the committee can pick and choose whomever it wants to go wherever it wants to send them. (Remember UT having to play Baylor in Des Moines? No way we were the number 4 number 2 seed, but...) I doubt the committee could care less whom Baylor has canceled. Only UConn is a lock-in since they have no remaining games against a top team and should remain with just one loss. So, Baylor has enough cred to be the last 1, or MD, or.......

Best case, is just win all our remaining games:rock:

Everything you say is correct, but the committee seems to have its own rating system, and I think the RPI is heavily weighted in it. I'm not disagreeing with you; it just seems the committee can pick and choose whomever it wants to go wherever it wants to send them. (Remember UT having to play Baylor in Des Moines? No way we were the number 4 number 2 seed, but...) I doubt the committee could care less whom Baylor has canceled. Only UConn is a lock-in since they have no remaining games against a top team and should remain with just one loss. So, Baylor has enough cred to be the last 1, or MD, or.......

Best case, is just win all our remaining games:rock:

I agree. Winning will help us and guarantee and prove we are deserving :)

Seriously if you take a look at the top teams and who they have played, in and out of their conference, Tennessee could easily be ranked 4th. Yes we did have some cupcakes to start the year, but playing in the SEC yields few cupcakes. Is there a conference as tough as the SEC? I think not. Really Maryland has won a lot of games in an easy conference of bottom feeders. In the Big 12, where Baylor resides, you have Texas, which continues to fall, and Oklahoma, which is okay but at best a top 25 bottom feeder team. I would rank ND ahead of Tennessee only because they beat us. I still believe that we have a team that can beat ND. Time will tell but I truly believe the ball is in our court.

Seriously if you take a look at the top teams and who they have played, in and out of their conference, Tennessee could easily be ranked 4th. Yes we did have some cupcakes to start the year, but playing in the SEC yields few cupcakes. Is there a conference as tough as the SEC? I think not. Really Maryland has won a lot of games in an easy conference of bottom feeders. In the Big 12, where Baylor resides, you have Texas, which continues to fall, and Oklahoma, which is okay but at best a top 25 bottom feeder team. I would rank ND ahead of Tennessee only because they beat us. I still believe that we have a team that can beat ND. Time will tell but I truly believe the ball is in our court.

I don't follow all of the reasoning, but on the Baylor site they have their conference as the toughest in the nation. It may just be like "who's the top four teams" - pick your criteria by whomever you want to be 1-4, so anyone could prove either conference is stronger. I would like to see an unbiased comparison of the conferences and also the UT vs. Baylor SOS. I think we have our cupcake tonight as far as the SEC goes.

Don't want to flame or anything, but ... SEC has Georgia on an epic down spiral, LSU that is playing a bit better but ... KY that is always over ranked and under-achieving, TA&M which has struggled all year and Miss State that ran up a gaudy OOC against nobody and is now trading wins and losses with the above. TN and SC are taking care of business and TN has played a much better schedule to date, but like most of the power 5 conferences, beyond the top 2 or sometimes 3, it gets pretty mediocre very quickly.

And before anyone says anything ... the AAC is definitely bad, but USF and Tulane are not very different from those mid-level SEC teams. Uconn has slammed them, but they have slammed ND, Duke, and SC as well so that is not really very telling.

Don't want to flame or anything, but ... SEC has Georgia on an epic down spiral, LSU that is playing a bit better but ... KY that is always over ranked and under-achieving, TA&M which has struggled all year and Miss State that ran up a gaudy OOC against nobody and is now trading wins and losses with the above. TN and SC are taking care of business and TN has played a much better schedule to date, but like most of the power 5 conferences, beyond the top 2 or sometimes 3, it gets pretty mediocre very quickly.

And before anyone says anything ... the AAC is definitely bad, but USF and Tulane are not very different from those mid-level SEC teams. Uconn has slammed them, but they have slammed ND, Duke, and SC as well so that is not really very telling.

Don't see any flames:), just some facts and some opinion. Georgia is looking very weak, don't follow them enough to have any idea why. In fairness to LSU, their star player was suspended for a long time. Since she has come back, they have played much better. Ky beat Baylor (at Ky) and almost beat us. I wouldn't say over rated, but don't know yet. They could win the SECT, hope not. Miss St is funny, undefeated for so long...were all their OOC games cupcakes? SC looks good; the uconn game was brutal for them, but it will be interesting to see how they fare in their next BIG game. They had never "been there before"; I do not believe we will beat them twice and there goes any #1 seed for us. The other conferences confuse me now; I can't remember who is in what:blush2:eek:r what conference standings are. Uconn stands alone until someone takes it from them, and a loss to Stanford, first of season, at Stanford doesn't qualify. They have been there before! But...until tournament games nothing counts. We lost 10 games one year and won the NC (and Pat would not allow their record to be engraved on the rings!).

Thanks for your response. I still hope there is a statistician out there who will post re RPI, SOS, rankings, etc.:crossfingers:

Don't see any flames:), just some facts and some opinion. Georgia is looking very weak, don't follow them enough to have any idea why. In fairness to LSU, their star player was suspended for a long time. Since she has come back, they have played much better. Ky beat Baylor (at Ky) and almost beat us. I wouldn't say over rated, but don't know yet. They could win the SECT, hope not. Miss St is funny, undefeated for so long...were all their OOC games cupcakes? SC looks good; the uconn game was brutal for them, but it will be interesting to see how they fare in their next BIG game. They had never "been there before"; I do not believe we will beat them twice and there goes any #1 seed for us. The other conferences confuse me now; I can't remember who is in what:blush2:eek:r what conference standings are. Uconn stands alone until someone takes it from them, and a loss to Stanford, first of season, at Stanford doesn't qualify. They have been there before! But...until tournament games nothing counts. We lost 10 games one year and won the NC (and Pat would not allow their record to be engraved on the rings!).

Thanks for your response. I still hope there is a statistician out there who will post re RPI, SOS, rankings, etc.:crossfingers:

Try these 2. Sagarin and Massey

The Jeff Sagarin/CBN Women's College Basketball Ratings | RPIRatings.com

Massey Ratings - CBW

SmallVol - the best OOC for Miss St was against an at the time #17 WV that has proceeded to go 5-7 in the Big12 and disappeared from any ranking (not even in the also receiving votes category.) Most of the teams they played I don't even recognize the ESPN abbreviations.

How dare you use logic and reason here.

For several years now the SEC has been living off the reputation of its past glory. Until the conference starts sending teams back to the Final Four questions remain even about the strength of the top. South Carolina didn't do us any favors but not even putting up token resistance against UConn....

Thanks! Just been reading the Sagarin, (first I had to learn a new language and then overcome severe eyestrain) and it looks, IMO, like Maryland should have had the 4th number one. I was surprised. Their Top 25 and SOS is impressive. Couldn't figure out how their conference compares. Not had the courage to go to Massey yet:)

Hopefully at end of season the top 4 and next 4 will be clear and there won't be a bunch of ravings on different sites. Right now, a lot on the Baylor site are :machgun:at UT, if they are an example, I hate to think of what the MD site is saying.

SmallVol - the best OOC for Miss St was against an at the time #17 WV that has proceeded to go 5-7 in the Big12 and disappeared from any ranking (not even in the also receiving votes category.) Most of the teams they played I don't even recognize the ESPN abbreviations.

Thanks, UCM. It appears they were no where near as good as they sounded when undefeated.

Appreciate your logic, intelligence, and politeness. That is becoming a rare commodity on some of the boards I read:cray:, glad to have you on VN.

Edit: did you know if you go to the Around NCAA Forum you can request a school badge from Freak?

Last edited:

VN Store

Back