UConn vs South Carolina Pre Game Report

doggydaddy

Here is a link to my blog. I'm not sure how much you want to read about this game, but I have lots of stats and a breakdown of the players on both teams.

I'm sure you folks will have an opinion. Maybe a South Carolina fan can link in on their boards?

DoggyDaddy's Den

Here is a link to my blog. I'm not sure how much you want to read about this game, but I have lots of stats and a breakdown of the players on both teams.

I'm sure you folks will have an opinion. Maybe a South Carolina fan can link in on their boards?

DoggyDaddy's Den

Thanks for the link doggy. I'm going to check it out a little later. I hope it can be a competitive game though. I think wcbb needs a good tight 1-2 matchup which doesn't result in a big time blowout. I know espn is hypin it up big time and I'm a fan of neither team, but I'm excited to watch nonetheless.

Thanks for the link doggy. I'm going to check it out a little later. I hope it can be a competitive game though. I think wcbb needs a good tight 1-2 matchup which doesn't result in a big time blowout. I know espn is hypin it up big time and I'm a fan of neither team, but I'm excited to watch nonetheless.

I am a Dawn Staley fan, since her Temple days. This will be a good measurement of how far she has brought USC's program. It will also have some indication of just how good the SEC is as a whole. It will more than likely be a preview of the NCAA Championship game.

DoggyDaddy's Den

Good analysis, although I think that Welsh deserves a bit more credit. She has a nice 10-15 foot jumper that is almost automatic. I agree that to start it's essentally 2 1/2 (Ibiam being the 1/2) vs 5 on offense. Makes me wonder if Dawn will start A'ja in place of Dozier to make sure that UConn doesn't get off to a fast start.

Cuevas vs. Sessons is going to be a challenge. Their offense runs better with Sessons at the point, but she's not a scoring threat. SC's best chance is to turn this into a defensive grind-fest and hope they can wear out Stewie and shut down Tuck/KML. They have the size and physicality to do that, so put the scoring burden on UConn's guards.

Good analysis, although I think that Welsh deserves a bit more credit. She has a nice 10-15 foot jumper that is almost automatic. I agree that to start it's essentally 2 1/2 (Ibiam being the 1/2) vs 5 on offense. Makes me wonder if Dawn will start A'ja in place of Dozier to make sure that UConn doesn't get off to a fast start.

Cuevas vs. Sessons is going to be a challenge. Their offense runs better with Sessons at the point, but she's not a scoring threat. SC's best chance is to turn this into a defensive grind-fest and hope they can wear out Stewie and shut down Tuck/KML. They have the size and physicality to do that, so put the scoring burden on UConn's guards.

I'll have to watch a few more minutes of SC games to watch Welsh shot. I haven't seen it. You are correct in what SC has to do to win. I'm not sure they can.

USC will just have to stay out of foul trouble, That will be very hard playing at UCONN, they will get home cooking.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree with the grind-it-out comment, which is why I'm predicting USC 64 UCONN 61. If Cuevas plays point more, though, the Gamecocks could score a lot more. She's been playing very well in the last few games and a New Yorker will not be intimidated by the environment.

DoggyDaddy's Den

The only reason South Carolina is still unbeaten is that they have yet to play the Lady Vols and we all know how that will end...So let's not get too excited about SC because after tomorrow's UCONN mauling they will come back to earth and take their rightful place behind Tennessee and probably Kentucky when the SEC tournament kicks off. :eek:k:

Reactions: 1 person
The only reason South Carolina is still unbeaten is that they have yet to play the Lady Vols and we all know how that will end...So let's not get too excited about SC because after tomorrow's UCONN mauling they will come back to earth and take their rightful place behind Tennessee and probably Kentucky when the SEC tournament kicks off. :eek:k:

I would love for USC to beat UCONN in UCONN's house and the rest of your prediction to come true. If we win the rest of the way a one seed would be a guarantee. That would assure us a first round game at TB Arena. That would be outstanding. Road trip to Knoxville!!!!!!!

UConn will drill them. The SEC plays a style of ball that does not give Geno's teams any trouble and the officiating will dictate that it does not become the typical rugby scrum we see in the SEC where the team that wins is the one whose players still have some flesh attached to their bones at the end of the game.

One thing I thought was interesting from looking at the stats is that UConn shoots a full 10% better than UT does right now and SC is 5-6% better. Both of those teams have better shooting percentages than any team UT has had in recent memory, if ever. And our current team is one of the worst shooting ones we have had. The last team we had that shot as poorly as this one is shooting lost 11 games IIRC.

So, while I could see us knocking off SC, UConn is (and has been) in an entirely different league than us. As to which of them wins when they play each other? Who the hell cares?

I think everybody knows how THAT matchup will end this year. Some just don't want to admit it yet.

don't really think that will be the score but hope so...lol

If that is the score the UConn girls will have to go without food and water for a week. No way they lose by that much and have to face Geno the next day.

I'm happy for South Carolina fans. They def should feel good about their team. Dawn has built this team into a national title contender very very quickly. They might not win it all this year, but next year watch out.

Wish SC would wipe the floor with them. Know it won't happen though. UConn will go up early and stay there. You don't beat UConn on Big Monday on ESPN. Especially not @ UConn. Way too much home cooking. Watch for some really shady officiating until UConn gets a comfortable lead then you'll see the usual makeup calls to help even out the final stats after that. Prediction UConn 85-SC 67.

Who's calling the game tonight? Can't wait to hear them gush over UConn for 2 hours.

Reactions: 2 people
It's going to be tough for USC to pull out a win against UCONN at home. The officiating will resemble the Rupperees from the men's side if things go as they normally do up there.

I'm always for the LVs and anyone who is playing against UConn. So, I will be cheering on USC tonight. Dawn is a class act as well and I hope her team wins. I don't care much for Geno. I think USC will have a hard time winning on the UConn home court though like a lot of people here have said.

VN Store

Back