Winning without Jasmine Jones

madtownvol

It is true that injuries are part of the game but this game, like ND, was one where JJ athleticism, strength, and defensive prowess really would have been huge assets. And on a good night, she can be an offensive threat.

The silver lining to her injury is that Nared is being pushed into that role. She looked much more confident on the floor against KY than she had in past games (though she showed positive signs against GA). She made two excellent offensive plays at clutch moments, got some boards and steals and her mistakes were cases of being aggressive and trying to impact the game.

And last but not least, a quick tip to Izzy who had a big game against a team that plays chippy, physical defense. She did not let it bother her and she came up BIG down the stretch.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
Nared is a fluid athlete with skills. She has spent most of the year floating around looking overwhelmed but last night she was more aggressive and just played basketball. If you can play, then play--sports is not for the faint of heart. She could be a good 3 spot player for us. She has the potential to be a lot better offensively than Jones though not as good defensively. We'll see--but an encouraging performance. Sadly, I think Jones is done for the year. There are only four weeks left in the regular season. We have really been stung by some freaky injuries and circumstances the last couple of years. All the more reason for Nared to step up.

Reactions: 2 people
I think Nared need some physical strength and hopefully that will be her goal over the summer. She seems to be a player that could be beneficial to the team at the four position. She is a fluid athlete needs a little more bulk and strength to reach another level of ability.

We could be facing the same scenario with Jasmine as we did with Ariel last season. Missing the entire second half of the season. Concussion.

Truth be told, I've never felt good about Jasmine when she's in the lineup. She always looks lost on offense and turns the ball over too much. Her basketball IQ seems really low and symbolic of the struggles we've had as a team in the recent past.

I do like her athleticism and she's a decent defender but I don't think it makes up the deficit in the other areas.

We were not watching the same games or something. Jas was way better than she was last year the beginning of the season. From her ball handling to her aggressiveness of offense it all showed signs of improvements. Her turnovers has been down this season avg. about 2 a game her highest was 6 against Rutgers. So she really wasn't hurting the team at all when she was playing.

Reactions: 3 people
We were not watching the same games or something. Jas was way better than she was last year the beginning of the season. From her ball handling to her aggressiveness of offense it all showed signs of improvements. Her turnovers has been down this season avg. about 2 a game her highest was 6 against Rutgers. So she really wasn't hurting the team at all when she was playing.

I was thinking the same thing! Jasmine had been doing much better this year than last! The thing I noticed most was her aggressiveness on the offensive end. She was already a pretty strong defender but her foot speed seemed to be quickier this year than last as well. She was playing with much more control....she had scored 16 at one point in the year. We need JJ if we're too make a run at the FF this year.We need her defense if not anything else!.....IMO!

Reactions: 1 person
It does look like her season may be over...

The girl gives a max effort every time she plays...Her offense was getting better....Next season look out.

Hope that Jaime Nared takes advantage of the situation, gets some more meaningful PT, and develops into a solid contributor on this year's team. She's just a smooth looking silky fluid athlete and easy on the eyes. :) Future is very bright for that young lady.

Regarding turnovers, below are the stats in terms of average minutes elapsed to commit a turnover from worst to best (the lower minutes the worst meaning they commit them more often). As I suspected, Jones has been the worst guard on the team and 3rd worst on the team. And, even when she's not turning it over, I just don't feel like she understands the flow of the game. Basketball IQ is very important.

I will concede that she is doing better and IS much improved than last year. She even won a game for us when she was shooting hot, but overall, I just think we are a better and more CONSISTENT on both sides of the ball with the other players we've had.

Minutes/Turnover Player
9.19 Moore,Nia
9.48 Harrison,Isabelle
10.69 Jones,Jasmine
11.40 Burdick,Cierra
12.44 Middleton,Alexa
13.88 Massengale,Ariel
17.25 Graves,Bashaara
19.10 Reynolds,Jordan
20.38 Nared,Jaime
25.67 Carter,Andraya
95.00 Dunbar,Kortney

Regarding turnovers, below are the stats in terms of average minutes elapsed to commit a turnover from worst to best (the lower minutes the worst meaning they commit them more often). As I suspected, Jones has been the worst guard on the team and 3rd worst on the team. And, even when she's not turning it over, I just don't feel like she understands the flow of the game. Basketball IQ is very important.

I will concede that she is doing better and IS much improved than last year. She even won a game for us when she was shooting hot, but overall, I just think we are a better and more CONSISTENT on both sides of the ball with the other players we've had.

Minutes/Turnover Player
9.19 Moore,Nia
9.48 Harrison,Isabelle
10.69 Jones,Jasmine
11.40 Burdick,Cierra
12.44 Middleton,Alexa
13.88 Massengale,Ariel
17.25 Graves,Bashaara
19.10 Reynolds,Jordan
20.38 Nared,Jaime
25.67 Carter,Andraya
95.00 Dunbar,Kortney

Yes, Jas has been known to be turnover prone and a real head scratcher at times, but her improved offense and her defense has been missed while she has been out. Nared will be a special player if she works on her defense and foot speed, but her/our weakness really showed against Miss. St on Sunday. Although we did a better job of covering Vivians in the second half, Nared struggled to guard the faster foward and picked up two quick fouls because she lacks the necessary foot speed to guard most of the elite players, same with Middleton. Both ladies are talented offensively and can put the ball in the hoop (loved the reverse lay-up in the second half by Nared) but neither could guard anyone last night. I kept wondering why Holly kept going with Middleton instead of Reynolds. I hope Jas can come back for the SEC tourney and pick up where she left and not try to shoot her way back on the team. If she can come back and be our defensive leader we might surprise a lot of teams. It looks like we're trying to finally click. I just wished Holly had a little more fire under her sometimes. Get in the ladies faces and stare them down when they make a mistake. Slowly but surely we're showing improvements.

Last edited:
Yes, Jas has been known to be turnover prone and a real head scratcher at times, but her improved offense and her defense has been missed while she has been out. Nared will be a special player if she works on her defense and foot speed, but her/our weakness really showed against Miss. St on Sunday. Although we did a better job of covering Vivians in the second half, Nared struggled to guard the faster foward and picked up two quick fouls because she lacks the necessary foot speed to guard most of the elite players, same with Middleton. Both ladies are talented offensively and can put the ball in the hoop (loved the reverse lay-up in the second half by Nared) but neither could guard anyone last night. I kept wondering why Holly kept going with Middleton instead of Reynolds. I hope Jas can come back for the SEC tourney and pick up where she left and not try to shoot her way back on the team. If she can come back and be our defensive leader we might surprise a lot of teams. It looks like we're trying to finally click. I just wished Holly had a little more fire under her sometimes. Get in the ladies faces and stare them down when they make a mistake. Slowly but surely we're showing improvements.

Offense doesn't run as well when Jasmine is in the lineup at the wing. She overthinks. Burdick has been the perfect complement to the post players and Ariel's outside shooting. If they leave her open and the shot's within her range, she looks to shoot. She's also a good enough ball handler that she can relieve the guards if the other teams press, and her court vision is good enough that she can find open teammates. Jasmine is not a the ball handler nor the midrange shooter that Cierra is. She'll try to drive into traffic trying to score, and that will just draw more defenders into the paint. If she had a drive and dish move it would be different...but I haven't seen it yet.

She may be best suited as a sub for Bashaara at the high post, and if Cierra is on the court with her, then let JJ guard the wing and Cierra guard the high post.

I think Nared has defensive potential. She seems to be pretty athletic and mobile, but her defensive instincts need to be sharpened. I think she has the tools to be a very good player for this team.

If I'm Warlick, I make Jones my sub at the 4 for Graves when she returns. Jones started the year playing outside in the 3 spot, I believe. That, IMO, is not as good position for her as she is not great ball handler and she is not a good decision-maker with the ball. She'd be more effective offensively, IMO, posting up or getting in the paint, then turning and shooting. She's got size, big hops and length: Just catch, turn and shoot. The less she has to do with the ball, the better.

Nared has offensive skills, to be sure. She will be a good player if she keeps working hard on all aspects of her game. She will be a starter next year.

Nared has offensive skills, to be sure. She will be a good player if she keeps working hard on all aspects of her game. She will be a starter next year.

At what position? Carter, Deshields, Graves and Russell are all pretty much locks to start. Reynolds will probably start as well. The only way I see Nared starting is if Russell is not ready to go, and Bashaara starts at the low post and Jaime at the high post.

At what position? Carter, Deshields, Graves and Russell are all pretty much locks to start. Reynolds will probably start as well. The only way I see Nared starting is if Russell is not ready to go, and Bashaara starts at the low post and Jaime at the high post.

First, it really does not matter that much who starts. Fans tend to overweight the importance of being a starter. Players want to play so getting minutes in any capacity is the more important factor.

Second, no one is a lock to start. Massengale would have seemed like a lock as well. I could easily see for example Graves or Carter being used as the sparks off the bench. Next season will have a way of sorting itself out, you know next season.

Offense doesn't run as well when Jasmine is in the lineup at the wing. She overthinks. Burdick has been the perfect complement to the post players and Ariel's outside shooting. If they leave her open and the shot's within her range, she looks to shoot. She's also a good enough ball handler that she can relieve the guards if the other teams press, and her court vision is good enough that she can find open teammates. Jasmine is not a the ball handler nor the midrange shooter that Cierra is. She'll try to drive into traffic trying to score, and that will just draw more defenders into the paint. If she had a drive and dish move it would be different...but I haven't seen it yet.

She may be best suited as a sub for Bashaara at the high post, and if Cierra is on the court with her, then let JJ guard the wing and Cierra guard the high post.

I think Nared has defensive potential. She seems to be pretty athletic and mobile, but her defensive instincts need to be sharpened. I think she has the tools to be a very good player for this team.

I agree with you 100% but I also believe the entire team has improved offensively. At the begining of the season Burdick wasn't playing as well as she has been so that's why I think Holly tried JJ out at the 3. I also think JJ is best suited to back up Bash at the 4 because 1. We'll be thin in the post next season and JJ is a legit 6'2 and 2. JJ is one of our best defenders. Although CB is playing some of her best bball of her career, she's not a better defender than Jones at either position. If Jones can come back and back-up Graves and continue to play great defense we should be in good shape. If the offensive continues to flow and the ladies continue to move the ball, push the tempo and limit offensive boards, having Jones back up Graves and playing alongide Burdick and Harrison would be an added bonus. I think because we're playing well and winning people forget how important JJ really is. If she was playing against Miss St. Im not sure Vivians goes off like that; and while a little erratic sometimes, we also miss Jones' rebounding, we gave up too many offensive rebounds! All in all i am still impressed with our ladies and Holly. Wished Tucker and Jones were available. Anyone know what's up with Tucker? Is she not 100% yet? Will she be a sophomore next season. I just cant stop thinking about next season and how good our pressure defense would be with Tucker, DD, Cooper Carter and Jones. Not to mention Reynold and Jackson (If she can crack the line-up) Despite our lack of height the future looks bright. I still think we can make some noise in the NCAA tourney though. #Time2Surprise

Truth be told, I've never felt good about Jasmine when she's in the lineup. She always looks lost on offense and turns the ball over too much. Her basketball IQ seems really low and symbolic of the struggles we've had as a team in the recent past.

I do like her athleticism and she's a decent defender but I don't think it makes up the deficit in the other areas.

whateva.

Jasmine Jones, the only fighter on the team in big games but now she cant play and the offense is better without her. whateva. smh haters. haters.

Jasmine Jones will be a better pro than anyone on our team, prolly other than Izzy and D.D.

Get well J.J. and she wanst the reason why our offense wasn't working, she always was in attack mode.

She's a late bloomer, but mane I love the way the staff is,was developing her game, her handles were better this year. Nice job Kyra.

Last edited:
Jones is not going to be in the WNBA. She doesn't really have a natural offensive position, and makes too many mistakes with the basketball. She was improving, slowly, and it is unfortunate that she's basically lost another development year.

VN Store

Back