OT: your favorite concert memory from Thompson Boling, neyland stadium or stokely

boxerpupsrcool

So my favorites I went to see were George jones in '93 at Thompson Boling, KISS and aero smith both in '99. I understand Elvis played several shows at the old stokely athletic center and Michael Jackson played at neyland in '84. Would have loved to been at both those shows.

Eagles in November 2013. Still amazing considering their ages. Going to see Fleetwood Mac in March. Can't wait!

So my favorites I went to see were George jones in '93 at Thompson Boling, KISS and aero smith both in '99. I understand Elvis played several shows at the old stokely athletic center and Michael Jackson played at neyland in '84. Would have loved to been at both those shows.

Snuck in back door of Stokely in 71 and got to see women throw panties and bras onstage at Tom Jones .Not my favorite concert but the comment about Stokely reminded me of it

Kenny Chesney in 98 at halftime of a game surprised John Ward at midfield with "Touchdown Tennessee"

First time performing the song, everybody erupted and John Ward cried. Amazing

Reactions: 2 people

The Eagles at Stokley, 1979 for "The Long Run" tour. I swear the vast majority of people there were on-campus students. My entire section was filled with familiar faces, and as I was leaving, it seemed most everyone was heading back to the dorms and frat houses. In the following weeks, it seemed a day did not pass I didn't see at least 4 or 5 students around campus wearing t-shirts bought from the show. Best show there in my memory.

Reactions: 1 person
Seen Matchbox 20 and Everclear opened for them. Everclear blew their doors off. Don't remember the year. The Eagles last year was up there as well.

Bobby Brown, New Edition, and Al B. Sure back in the early 90's at TBA. Good times.....

Kenny Chesney in 98 at halftime of a game surprised John Ward at midfield with "Touchdown Tennessee"

First time performing the song, everybody erupted and John Ward cried. Amazing

I'll NEVER forget the Mose Phillips td run at South Carolina that is referenced in the song. I mean a full back making all those sweet moves..I'll never forget that run. I believe it was '93 because I remember being there as a kid and that they were filming parts of 'the program' with James Cahn at halftime. Wow, I do miss john ward Johnny majors AND fulmer. The good ol days with spurrier and fulmer battling it out on cbs

Reactions: 1 person
Stokley Rolling Stones 1972. Sticky Fingers. People all the way up on Cumberland were getting contact high:)

Only been to one concert at Thompson. It was a country show with the wife jason Alden and Eric church. Eric church was ok but Alden sucked but I dont like country music so what can you do. Not very good sound for an arena either that's why not a lot of rock acts go there and the high tax it is to play there.

If you want to see good concerts in knoxville. The Bijou and The Tennessee Theater is the way to go. Saw plent of great concerts there.

The Police Synchronicity Tour, November 5, 1983 at Stokely. It was a big deal, because it was supposed to be their last tour ever (they reunited about 25 years later). I missed class and camped-out all night to get tickets. I was a big fan and it was a great show. The Fixx was the opening act and they were great, too.

Knoxville Coliseum - January '89

Opening Act: Queensrÿche - Operation Mindcrime

Headliner: Metallica - ...And Justice For All

Eagles in November 2013. Still amazing considering their ages. Going to see Fleetwood Mac in March. Can't wait!

I have a friend who is a diehard Fleetwood Mac/Stevie Nicks fan. During the mid-80s, she saw Stevie Nicks perform at Stokely (from what I gather, this was a solo tour). She says it was a fabulous concert, although the wonderful Ms. Nicks did manage to fall off the stage at some point during the performance. Or maybe she just fell down while on the stage . . . regardless, I think it heightened the entertainment value significantly. :)

Never saw a concert in Knoxville, but my most memorable was Hendrix in '69 in the North Hall of the old Ellis Auditorium in Memphis.

Since the Knoxville Coliseum was mentioned somewhere, Eagles Hotel California tour-1977.

VN Store

Back