Why doesn't Tennessee have a gymnatics team?

They had gymnastics at one time but it never really took off and I think with the river here and some of the rowing competitions they had here they thought they could capitalize on it.

I've often wondered why UT doesn't have a gymnastics team. I know I'd watch those girls w/their tights on jumping around. I wonder if Kortney Dunbar could try out for the team? :)

At work I have t put up with how dominant the gym dawgs and equestrian dawgs are. 5 more days and I start new job in tn

At least lady vols won today.

I think they only fund enough to meet Title IX requirements. IIRC soccer was the last one added; a pretty "cheap" sport to fund comparatively speaking, since the field could be dual purpose and the gear, except fot the keeper, is relatively minor. Also, I think rowing got some pretty good funding/perks from the local community...and the river is free:)

Several years ago, a graduate assistant who had been a gymnast at a D1 school in undergrad, said it was because Jenny Moshak claimed there were too many injuries in gymnastics and used her leverage with Coach Summitt to keep gymnastics out of UT.
True?
Who knows, but with Dave Hart as AD, there's absolutely no chance now.

Reactions: 1 person
Several years ago, a graduate assistant who had been a gymnast at a D1 school in undergrad, said it was because Jenny Moshak claimed there were too many injuries in gymnastics and used her leverage with Coach Summitt to keep gymnastics out of UT.
True?

You are sure right your the last sentence:)
We had a good friend who worked for the WAD when the decisions were being made and my understanding was it was economics and numbers...how to get the most women in a sport for the least expenditure of money. I never heard gymnastics mentioned or anything about Jenny having any input. BUT, and it's a big but, Jenny was very respected and if she had an opinion about anything they very well might have factored it in their decision. The WAD department was a very different thing than what they have "supporting" women's athletics now. Joan and Pat had a lot of influence since it was not under the control of the Men's AD...and I chose that expression intentionally.

True?

I know (or really knew) Jenny Moshak and will guarantee that story to be bogus. She would have never argued against denying women athletes opportunities to compete and I would be shocked if Pat Summit would not want to take every opportunity to grow women's athletics at Tennessee.

You can look at every major Div.1 school (on the men's and women's side) and see that very few (if any) field teams in all possible sports. For University of Wisconsin, no men's baseball team. Schools make decisions about a mix of sports based on cost, recruiting considerations, anticipated fan support and myriad other reasons. The LVs have 10 varsity sports for women. Georgia has 12 (gymnastics and equestrian being the additions); KY has 11; Bama has 9; LSU has 10 (including sand volleyball!). Tennessee seems to be on basic par with other SEC schools in terms of number of teams. What is harder to discern from the basic comparative numbers is how much support and what kind of facilities do each of these teams have. I suspect that Tennessee might be setting the curve there, even with Hart in the AD role.

the attendance at that Fl/Ala gymnastics meet was better than any Lady Vols bb game this season....

Bring the sport to UT. $0.o2

the attendance at that Fl/Ala gymnastics meet was better than any Lady Vols bb game this season....

Bring the sport to UT. $0.o2

I think watching little girls running around in skin tight outfits would surely draw a lot more than rowing has.

Gymnastics is another money losing minor sport

All sports at UT lose money other than football, men's basketball, and women's basketball. I have been told softball is getting close to being self supporting...I don't know how many dollars equals 'close'.

Women's sports are primarily funded due to Title IX requirements...want to have a football team, you will have women's sports.

Why other men's sports are funded I do not know: history, college atmosphere, whatever reasons. If all at once the AD decided to drop the baseball team, for example, I believe there would be a public outcry...losing money not a consideration.

With all of that said, all sports at UT other than the two basketball teams are primarily funded by the AD (football), some doners, some entry fees.

I believe gymnastics would get much more attendance than rowing, but I do not know what the difference in costs would be or the number of athletes participating. If costs were the same, and one had a higher number of athletes, that would give it a more favorable chance of being funded.

I doubt community interest was a strong factor in any decision as to what team to fund.

And yes, madtown, you are correct. I knew Jenny too. If she expressed a concern as to injuries it would have been as information to be considered in determining what UT needed to do to protect its athletes in a given sport. Jenny was impressive; her leaving was a real loss to the well being of our athletes.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back