Observations

teacherdean

I spend a lot of time watching Women's basketball just to see what might be coming the Lady Vols way in March. The Lady Baylor Bears have certainly improved since the beginning of the season. I do not believe they face the same conference competition as the SEC but they will be a tough out. Their center Agbuke is very good. With an excellent 2015 recruitment year, I believe Baylor will be a challenge for the NC next year, and might come close this year.

I still believe that the LV's will be heavy in the mix with what we could possibly have on the floor in 15-16. We still need to find at least one big girl. It might be a developmental project, like McCowan or a JC project. We will need improvement in our coaching and playing to be an NC threat.

As I look at other women's teams around the Nation, especially the power 5 conferences, this is not grandmother's old basketball game. There are some very good players out there who were not considered superstars in high school. I believe that the tournament should be posed for the possibility of close basketball games and maybe a surprise upset or two.

The women's game has improved and made itself more relevant in the last few years. I still wonder what the game would be like without the vision of Pat Summitt. Her hands are forever imprinted on this game. We owe Pat a lot for making the game what it has become and will be in the future.

Reactions: 2 people
We will go to the sweet 16 and then home.

Pretty much my opinion as well TP. With a favorable matchup and some luck we might, MIGHT, get to the round of 8. But things would really have to go our way or things are really going to have to change with this team and coaching staff in the next few weeks.

Reactions: 1 person
Pretty much my opinion as well TP. With a favorable matchup and some luck we might, MIGHT, get to the round of 8. But things would really have to go our way or things are really going to have to change with this team and coaching staff in the next few weeks.

Really, one player is the key right now. She needs to get her head straight. (Harrison)

Reactions: 2 people
I agree Harrison has to let the game flow to her. She was forcing shots against Notre Dame and it showed. She has been mugged all year, so I suspect she felt like she had to get her shots up quickly ultimately leading to the bad game against the Irish. I still think this is a final four team with the possibility of great heights but, Pat was a tournament coach which comes with experience of being there. Pat had some trouble winning the big prize to begin with and I'm sure Holly will as well.

We will go to the sweet 16 and then home.

I think we are better than Duke, however, they were beat the other night I believe by either Pitt or BC. Pitt has two pretty good players in a freshman center and a grad student who went from volleyball to basketball for her last year eligibility. BC just flat out shoots the threes. In fact I think they beat Duke on a 3. Not a bunch of house whole names but never the less both are decent teams. Like they say on any given day. There can be trap games in the tourney when you play like LV does on occasions. I see us as sweet 16 for sure and possibly elite 8. I agree that a lot will depend upon Izzy and the shooting of Massengale and Carter if she continues to prove that her shooting eye is back. If that happens Izzy can be a major force in the paint. Graves and Berdick's shooting can also play a major part on offense. In my estimation they pass on open shots to feed the rock to Izzy. Sometimes they pass the rock inside when Izzy is covered like flies on smelly stuff. When Izzy is on the bench Graves comes alive and reminds you of her freshman year. We also need reasonable production from our bench on both sides of the game. We need atleast two bench shooters who can give you quality time for 10 to 15 minutes a game. I think Middleton is one of those shooters although it has not yet shown to be the case. I believe that if she has one good offensive game, she will gain her confidence and will be ready to roll.

Really, one player is the key right now. She needs to get her head straight. (Harrison)

I agree that Harrison is key and fortunately, she has been more on than off since coming back from her knee injury.

I think an equally important problem to resolve is getting Izzy and Bashaara going in the same freakin' game. BG was fantastic against ND while Izzy laid a proverbial egg. Then against LSU, Izzy was awesome and Graves was close to being a non-factor.

To compete for a final 4 spot, the LVs will need quality play from both of these players in the same game; this tag team approach is not a recipe for tournament success.

I am waiting to see f the coaching staff can solve this puzzle.

Last edited:
The problem isn't Izzy. It's Holly trying to find the right chemistry (players) to play around Izzy. It's been tough for Holly but she'll figure it out. Also, maybe we're not as great (talent-wise) as we would like to think. If this year doesn't do it for you there's always next year. Players who were hurt will come back and just wait till DeShields suits up. She'll change everything...seriously.
It will be a completely different team. But, I'm going to enjoy this year and ride the wagon all the way to the barn.

GO LADY VOLS!

It amazes me the hours that some spend on here talking about what the Lady Vols CAN'T do when they are 17-3.
I for one hope you prove me wrong, I am as Orange as they get. Problem with me is, I don't see what you see. The competition has not been stellar in that 17-3!

It amazes me the hours that some spend on here talking about what the Lady Vols CAN'T do when they are 17-3.

It is not so bad that fans have varied opinions because that is what being a fan is all about. Fans are not necessarily bad because they sometimes have negative viewpoints of their team, however, when they have nothing but negative opinions that is an issue. Because no matter how bad the Lady Vols have played at times, they are still 17-3. No one can stand up and say we are a great offensive team, but the main positive is our defense. The D has saved our butts more than anything else.

It is not so bad that fans have varied opinions because that is what being a fan is all about. Fans are not necessarily bad because they sometimes have negative viewpoints of their team, however, when they have nothing but negative opinions that is an issue. Because no matter how bad the Lady Vols have played at times, they are still 17-3. No one can stand up and say we are a great offensive team, but the main positive is our defense. The D has saved our butts more than anything else.

I think what people are trying to say is, we have a very good team which sometimes seem not to play anywhere near its potential. They see things which seem obevious where the team could and should be improving. When things happen, there these things cost victories and don't seem to be corrected during the game. We all want to win every game and support the team. Some of the people who notice these things know a lot about basketball and I see no problem in letting them express their opinion. I also realize that many of these people don't know a thing bout basketball and just enjoy criticizing everyone.

Reactions: 4 people
A big win at Kentucky Thursday will change a lot of people how they thank.

I think what people are trying to say is, we have a very good team which sometimes seem not to play anywhere near its potential. They see things which seem obevious where the team could and should be improving. When things happen, there these things cost victories and don't seem to be corrected during the game. We all want to win every game and support the team. Some of the people who notice these things know a lot about basketball and I see no problem in letting them express their opinion. I also realize that many of these people don't know a thing bout basketball and just enjoy criticizing everyone.

Well said because before we criticize something know something about what you are criticizing. I do not think that a single LV fan on this site want the ladies to lose. Knowledgable or not, when fans are not totally happy, they have to get it out of their system. Yes we are 17-3 but the highway has not been smooth getting there. For fans to always want to hear nothing but positive comments, or never hear negative comments, is insane because it is not going to happen.

I have seen a boat load of freshmen that are making major contributions to their basketball teams, for example Wilson, White and Cuevas of USC, Nurse and Edwards of UCONN, Turner of ND, Ortiz of Oklahoma and Vivians of Miss State. Is it our system or coaching philosophy that limits our freshmen from being big contributors? I was glad to see several of them on the floor at the same time against Georgia. I would like to see Dunbar more. She looked good on that 3 shot. I would have to say that overall they mostly played well.

four or five trips up the floor (not even unbroken trips at that by way of fouls, time outs or various stoppages) and Dunbar was dragging back on D. Not impressed with her yesterday at all except she did make 1 three...

I have seen a boat load of freshmen that are making major contributions to their basketball teams, for example Wilson, White and Cuevas of USC, Nurse and Edwards of UCONN, Turner of ND, Ortiz of Oklahoma and Vivians of Miss State. Is it our system or coaching philosophy that limits our freshmen from being big contributors? I was glad to see several of them on the floor at the same time against Georgia. I would like to see Dunbar more. She looked good on that 3 shot. I would have to say that overall they mostly played well.

Nared and Middleton are steadily working their way in to the rotation. Nared looked much, much better against GA. than her other conference appearances.

Middleton is pretty solid and I think she is going to be a really good player if she puts in the work on conditioning and development. She could be a Zolman type player.

Dunbar, she is a longer term project. She has good size and a nice shot but she is too slow of foot laterally and not physical enough. Even when she has position in the lane, she can't hold other players off the board. She really needs a season or two of off season development (strength and conditioning) before she can become a consistent contributor.

She is a case where ranking can sometimes be misleading. She clearly has talent and size and I am sure she was able to feast on weaker high school comp. When you get the best conference in Div. 1, the level of comp. is ramped way up.

Well said because before we criticize something know something about what you are criticizing. I do not think that a single LV fan on this site want the ladies to lose. Knowledgable or not, when fans are not totally happy, they have to get it out of their system. Yes we are 17-3 but the highway has not been smooth getting there. For fans to always want to hear nothing but positive comments, or never hear negative comments, is insane because it is not going to happen.

teacherdean, I not positive I'm reading you right, but if you're saying people should feel free to criticize here even when they don't know what they're talking about, I'm behind you 100%. The best service these boards provide is giving frustrated sports fans a place to spout off, especially when the people in their lives are sick and tired of hearing about it! Every time I am cut off in traffic, I figure it is some poor sports fan who has no message board to go vent on. For the sake of a civil and orderly society, in no way should we be required to know what we're talking about when we criticize on here.

Reactions: 3 people
teacherdean, I not positive I'm reading you right, but if you're saying people should feel free to criticize here even when they don't know what they're talking about, I'm behind you 100%. The best service these boards provide is giving frustrated sports fans a place to spout off, especially when the people in their lives are sick and tired of hearing about it! Every time I am cut off in traffic, I figure it is some poor sports fan who has no message board to go vent on. For the sake of a civil and orderly society, in no way should we be required to know what we're talking about when we criticize on here.
:rofl:eek:h gosh, that is so good.

I have seen a boat load of freshmen that are making major contributions to their basketball teams, for example Wilson, White and Cuevas of USC, Nurse and Edwards of UCONN.

Sadie Edwards left UConn before Christmas (if I remember correctly) because she was playing fewer minutes than the two walk-ons. I think she is now enrolled at Southern California (USC).

VN Store

Back