Lady Volunteer Redemption

teacherdean

the ladies played really well tonight.Great game, great win!!! Way to redeem yourself after a tough outing in ND.

Reactions: 3 people
But Holly can't coach - we need to hire Nikki Caldwell

I promised that I would make every effort to be positive as possible and not take every opportunity to bash the coaching. A lot of us agree that Holly needs a little work to be in the elite status. She is in a tough stretch of the schedule which will be a test of her coaching ability and her skill set to keep the ladies focused. I am elated to see Carter finding her shooting ability. Our offense would be helped a lot if Graves plays the same way she did at ND. She defers to Harrison a lot when she has an open shot.

Good game against a tough LSU team.

Instead of trying to block every shot when an opposing player drives to the basket and invariably fouling that player, should the Lady Vols be taking more charges? Seems to me the Lady Tiger players were often out of control when they drove to the basket and were just hoping to get fouled. I don't want any of our players to get hurt, but trying to block every interior shot just seems to work against the team. Thoughts?

The Vols won tonight and that is great, but remember we beat a team that is barely above .500 tonight. It was at home and the team and the crowd was fired up and emotional because CPS was in attendance. So pump the brakes on this is some great win and tremendous coaching job. Time will tell.

Also, in the post game interview CHW was once again just about the worst interview I have ever seen. She looks down the whole time and fumbles her words the whole way through the inteview. If she gets that nervous in front of recruits and their families she will never be able to reasure recruits and bring in enough big time players for us to contend year in and year out.

Reactions: 1 person
Good game against a tough LSU team.

Instead of trying to block every shot when an opposing player drives to the basket and invariably fouling that player, should the Lady Vols be taking more charges? Seems to me the Lady Tiger players were often out of control when they drove to the basket and were just hoping to get fouled. I don't want any of our players to get hurt, but trying to block every interior shot just seems to work against the team. Thoughts?
Makes sense except with these officials it's pot luck on what will be called. The officiating is not good and I don't think anybody in charge cares because they keep putting out the same crappy product.

Reactions: 2 people
I give Warlick and the staff credit: this offense has improved significantly the last six or so games. Solid win, though I can't say LSU was very impressive. They were missing a starter, but seemed pretty lackluster tonight. I've never wanted Caldwell as coach; I think she's OK, maybe even an above average coach, but UT needs excellence.

Everyone was fairly solid tonight. I like Middleton's aggressiveness on offense, and wish we'd see a little more of that from Nared, who is not helping us much with her diffident play. Graves went back to playing her usual defense/rebounding role tonight, maybe because lsu played a lot of zone, but at least she didn't try to force things. Another good night for Carter, who is playing quite well on both ends of the floor.

Makes sense except with these officials it's pot luck on what will be called. The officiating is not good and I don't think anybody in charge cares because they keep putting out the same crappy product.

Agree with you on the officials. Seems like our post players barely have to bump into a defensive player and get called for an offensive foul.

The Vols won tonight and that is great, but remember we beat a team that is barely above .500 tonight. It was at home and the team and the crowd was fired up and emotional because CPS was in attendance. So pump the brakes on this is some great win and tremendous coaching job. Time will tell.

Also, in the post game interview CHW was once again just about the worst interview I have ever seen. She looks down the whole time and fumbles her words the whole way through the inteview. If she gets that nervous in front of recruits and their families she will never be able to reasure recruits and bring in enough big time players for us to contend year in and year out.

I agree with you in many ways, especially when it comes to Holly's interview skill set. I can't say it was the greatest of wins, but it was great to see the ladies not play down to the competition. They were aggressive and played good offensively. Regardless of the competition, they won as they should have and looked a lot better than the Arkansas game. Yes the crowd helped, along with the event, however, the girls responded well.

I was really impressed by the win today. I thought this game had trap written all over it since it was only 3 nights after the Notre Dame game.

If this team can handle this next stretch of games through Mississippi State on 2/1 it could really go a long way to building confidence and momentum heading into the end of the season.

Clearly some fans will never be happy regardless of how they play, if we win or not

Chris you are right, I thought I was a pessimist, but there are a few out there that have me beat. I am trying to be more positive and see the good when it is there. There are some very good things about this team, they just have to "bring IT" every game.

Not really redemption if you lose to a greater team and then beat a lesser team. You have to beat a greater team to be redeemed.

Chris you are right, I thought I was a pessimist, but there are a few out there that have me beat. I am trying to be more positive and see the good when it is there. There are some very good things about this team, they just have to "bring IT" every game.

Keep it up, teach, and you will become a PosiVol!
Enjoy your posts and admire your ability to observe and change your opinion. I think you are right; there is improvement. Holly gets some of the credit; the girls get some. Still room for more and I am optimisitic improvement will continue:clapping:

Not really redemption if you lose to a greater team and then beat a lesser team. You have to beat a greater team to be redeemed.
But if you lose to a greater team, is redemption applicable?
If you lose to a lesser team, then redemption comes into play...and you gain it by beating a greater team?
What if you lose to a comparable team...do you need redemption then?
Let's just win them all:clap:

Never is an interesting word, given that Holly has brought in a #1 recruit Russell, another #1 via transfer DeShield, a # 6 in Nared, and a #2 in Tucker. Save your typing, I know those recruits have not yet lived up to the billing. But that is not the point here. Those players had the national rep. and rankings. And just because someone is uncomfortable in a front of camera lights does not mean she is not a good communicator in more personal settings.

TOUGH CROWD!! I agree with Gail G. who said it is a test of a team to see how they bounce back from a tough loss.

The LVs came out focused, executed their game plan, and gave a great effort. Maybe redemption is not the precise word but the general spirit--not letting a loss disrupt a positive trajectory-- holds.

Also, LSU did knock off KY, a team with a coach who many on this board consider to be far superior than CHW and a team that was a pre-season favorite to battle SC and the LVs for the conference title. LSU is a dangerous team.

Last edited:
But if you lose to a greater team, is redemption applicable?
If you lose to a lesser team, then redemption comes into play...and you gain it by beating a greater team?
What if you lose to a comparable team...do you need redemption then?
Let's just win them all:clap:

If you lose to a lesser team you probably need to beat a greater team to be redeemed. ND was ranked lower than us so we probably need to beat a higher ranked team on the road to be redeemed. I think a road win at USC is in order.

TOUGH CROWD!! I agree with Gail G. who said it is a test of a team to see how they bounce back from a tough loss.

The LVs came out focused, executed their game plan, and gave a great effort. Maybe redemption is not the precise word but the general spirit--not letting a loss disrupt a positive trajectory-- holds.

Also, LSU did knock off KY, a team with a coach who many on this board consider to be far superior than others and a pre-season favorite to be battling SC and the LVs for the conference title. LSU is a dangerous team.

Not meaning to be a tough crowd I just have a higher standard for redemption.

I agree. Danielle Ballard is the real deal, but LSU (at 10-9) is a cupcake. Massey has LSU at UConn as a 38-point spread. Beating a top-five team on the road would qualify as redemption.

Last night qualifies as a win. Sometimes you just have to take the W and move on to the next game. I am looking forward to the game against South Carolina.

If you lose to a lesser team you probably need to beat a greater team to be redeemed. ND was ranked lower than us so we probably need to beat a higher ranked team on the road to be redeemed. I think a road win at USC is in order.

Always love your input:) and yes, we need to beat USC both as a statement and for confidence.

Well, stepping back a bit, I am not sure the LVs needed "redemption" after losing to ND at home. They played pretty well overall, though it could have been better (as has been discussed ad nauseum). Losing to a good team is not a sin. I suspect that ND is better than their #7 ranking.

lets no forget the importance of this game,it was a Back Pat game and I thought they played the way CPS would have liked em to play,of course i do miss her and the Evil Eye

We all know she would be chewing players out,in a win and it was great to see the turn out and the way the crowd was into the game

VolNation has your back Pat

VN Store

Back