Dear Coach Warlick...

armchair

I think it is time for you to stop playing man defense against ND. How many backdoor layups are you going to give up to McGraw's team before realizing this? The next time you play ND, think ZONE. At the least, you won't give up 40 points on ND layups--and will force them to take more outside shots. Playing man defense against that team is futile. Good luck.

Reactions: 7 people
Dear Coach Warlick,
When are you going to do the right thing and take one for the team and resign? IMO and it is JMO of course, but you stand no chance to ever win here and you are destroying the program. It is a sad state of affairs that you have brought us too. GBO, go Holly go, go away.

Reactions: 10 people
... When is Jannah going to get some quality playing time?? You talk about getting her legs back under her & working her back into the game, but she has been in two games & played less than five minutes. How is that working anybody back to the game. P.S. we need some more options on the offensive end

To believe we can't stop the back door in the man is wrong. We can, we and we did. We just have to react quicker to what they're doing and we didn't.

Reactions: 2 people
Last year we played Zone and got blizted from the outside....this year we play man and Llyod destroys us one on one! What to do ?

this was a winnable game need outside shooting badly give dunbar a crack at it

Last edited:
Dear Coach Warlick,
When are you going to do the right thing and take one for the team and resign? IMO and it is JMO of course, but you stand no chance to ever win here and you are destroying the program. It is a sad state of affairs that you have brought us too. GBO, go Holly go, go away.

Idiotic post. As great as Pat was, she coached in a less competitive time. She spurred the growth of women's basketball into what it is today, which is a far more balanced field of teams. If you expect Holly to live up to Pat, or any coach to live up to Pat, it isn't going to happen. Pat was a pioneer of the ladies' game.

That doesn't take away from Holly. She's far more Volunteer than you'll ever be. And I guarantee she takes each loss worse than you ever will. But she has to put them behind her, try to learn from them, and coach her team to win the next game. I have no doubt she will put the pieces together in the next few years and compete for a title.

Reactions: 11 people
I see the usual blame-Holly-for-this-loss crowd is out tonight. Funny but I didn't see Holly or the other coaches miss a single layup or foul shot during this game.

Reactions: 3 people
This is not a can Holly post. This is a post for any LV coach to adjust their D for the backdoor, pick and roll, and spot up 3 point shooters when play ND. Same thing happened with Pat. It happened with UConn back in the day. It is the style of help D both coaches run in man that leaves them open to the backdoor. They play a pressing, double team style. They do not match up physically inside and feel they need to. That is fine, but the backside defender needs to move into the passing lane when they do (rotate). It is frustrating because it is continuously happening every time they play each other.

Just face facts HW can not coach. Maybe as an assistant but when she is forced to make the final calls, she gets a big fat fail.

Reactions: 3 people
I don't think Holly is doing more than an average job based on the talent and university she has. However, maybe she will learn and get better at her job. I think she will win enough games to keep it.

Reactions: 1 person
Did I miss something in the past? I didn't realize Pat's teams spent 300 weeks in a row ranked number 1 and went undefeated for 10 years straight. I must have slept through all those wins because I swear I thought she lost some games. I may be wrong. I guess I need to pay more attention.

Reactions: 7 people
I see the usual blame-Holly-for-this-loss crowd is out tonight. Funny but I didn't see Holly or the other coaches miss a single layup or foul shot during this game.
Holly or not we lost for three reasons, Izzy missing a ton of lay ups, which by the way if she had made a few of her misses, we would be singing another song. The second reason is because Jewel Lloyd was unstoppable and man to man just did not work. The third was the backdoor was left wide open and unguarded. We just did not look fundamentally as sound as ND. Keep in mind that we were playing a young team coached by a better coach. We are just not there yet.

Based on my observation of Pat's last three years, she would not have won the ND game either. IMO Holly needs to keep what Pat did well and learn what it takes to beat today's best women' college basketball team. ND, Stanford and Conn have already gone there.

Holly or not we lost for three reasons, Izzy missing a ton of lay ups, which by the way if she had made a few of her misses, we would be singing another song. The second reason is because Jewel Lloyd was unstoppable and man to man just did not work. The third was the backdoor was left wide open and unguarded. We just did not look fundamentally as sound as ND. Keep in mind that we were playing a young team coached by a better coach. We are just not there yet.

I agree with your first two points, but what are you basing your future expectations on? This is a senior team and UT is not burning the recruiting trail up.

this was a winnable game need outside shooting badly give dunbar a crack at it

We can't hit layups so we should play some of those freshmen who can hit from outside. Also, how many turn overs did we have trying to get the ball inside so we could miss the short shots?

We must have given up 15 backdoor layups.

Last year we played Zone and got blizted from the outside....this year we play man and Llyod destroys us one on one! What to do ?

I'd try and get Llyod to transfer to UT...and Breanna Stewart while we're at it. That should do it...:crazy:

I find it so funny for the last 7 games I didn't see any of the Jokers post, now they come out of wood work!!! Really!! Pat didn't win em all. Gee give it a rest!!! GLV!!! GBO

Based on my observation of Pat's last three years, she would not have won the ND game either. IMO Holly needs to keep what Pat did well and learn what it takes to beat today's best women' college basketball team. ND, Stanford and Conn have already gone there.

We need to remember that Pat was also having dementia issues. Some times dementia can take a while before it is actually realized by the affected person. It is just not right to measure what Pat did the last 3 years of her coaching against her prior years of success. In all honesty her later years may have been affected by her onset dementia issues. Holly has the talent on paper it just does not seem to measure up to the possibilities. Just maybe the stars does not fit the talent. We do have Middleton and Nared who played in all star games with freshmen who are starting and producing very well at the D1 level. Both were successful in high school and all star games but seem to be over trying and only achieving limited success.

When is Volnation going to wake up and realize that the Lady Vols are not going to win a championship ever again if they do not get a superstar caliber player in the program. Hopefully Diamond is that girl, but the Lady Vols have never and will never win a title without a premier player. All the players we have now are very good,we are just missing that superstar player we last had with Parker. These players are good enough to lead us to another elite eight or possibly final four and that is it. The difference tonight was not coaching, it was not the arena, it was the fact ND has one player heads above the rest. That is why Tennessee will not beat them, or UConn etc...if Holly and the rest of the staff continue to lose the top players like Wilson to South Carolina and others then we will never win again. We all know this is the one sport at UT where finishing in the top 8 or even 4 is simply not good enough. Get superstar players like Holdsclaw, Catchings, Parker, etc and you win titles...simple as that!!!

VN Store

Back