Tennessee Falls Apart at ND

teacherdean

Before we bury Holly, no team can win when your team misses a ton of easy lay ups. Lloyd was almost unguardable. If Izzy had made the easy shots she missed we would have seen a different outcome. Another issue is we simply do not have a Jewel Lloyd. I still believe that Middleton has the ability to be a difference maker. If we want to admit it or not we were not as fundamentally sound as was ND. In reality, the defense went to sleep in the second half. The backdoor stayed opened all night long. We are close but not quite there yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Stop with the PS silliness. In case you missed it, we weren't very good over the last several years that PS coached.

Warlick made a big mistake playing man defense for most of the game against ND. You can't do it. They make us look silly with their passing and cuts. ND has made about 100 layups against our man defense in the last three games. Play Zone and at least make it a little harder for them to score.

Reactions: 1 person
Making layups is about being fundamentally sound, plain and simple it is the first shot you practice when you join a team. A team that is fundamentally sound is well coached. We are NOT fundamentally sound. We are not well coached. It is what it is. Get over it folks, Holly is not a good coach.

Odds are that we will always be bad as long as CHW remains coach of the Vols. She will do for womens basketball what Dooley did for the football team.

Reactions: 2 people
Stop with the PS silliness. In case you missed it, we weren't very good over the last several years that PS coached.

Warlick made a big mistake playing man defense for most of the game against ND. You can't do it. They make us look silly with their passing and cuts. ND has made about 100 layups against our man defense in the last three games. Play Zone and at least make it a little harder for them to score.

Would Pat have stayed in man?

Tennessee does not handle starts that overshadow the team as a whole well. The back door cut was there for Jewell Lloyd all night long she simply got it whenever she felt like, the over all defense tonight was acceptable offense was to. The thing that will hurt Tennessee is in the long run will be the ability to take away the go to player and make someone else step up. It was just too easy for Jewell Lloyd tonight!!!!

They blew our Defense up and again we missed too many layups. Just sad to see. This team could be so good.

But isn't the head coach responsible for making changes as is dictated by the situation? Lloyd owned us but we never really came up with a defense to stop her. We have to find a way to stop a team's best player or we will never be a consistent top 5 team. ND's plan was to stop Izzy and they did everything to make it work, however, in the end Izzy missed to many makable lay ups.

Tennessee does not handle starts that overshadow the team as a whole well. The back door cut was there for Jewell Lloyd all night long she simply got it whenever she felt like, the over all defense tonight was acceptable offense was to. The thing that will hurt Tennessee is in the long run will be the ability to take away the go to player and make someone else step up. It was just too easy for Jewell Lloyd tonight!!!!

It's a "Teaching Moment" for March!

Would Pat have stayed in man?

We played right into McGraw's hand playing man. They are a great passing team, great shooting team, great offensive team that thrives on backdoor cuts, pick and rolls. Look at how many points we gave up. You can't score on backdoor cuts and pick and roll, really, when your opponent is playing zone. We did an admirable job of keeping pace with ND in the first half--it was great to see us scoring as we did--but there wasn't much chance we could keep it up because we could never stop ND. Had Harrison not fallen apart to start the second half, it would have been closer--but we were playing ND's game. A good test and we will learn from it.

The Lady Vols will never be the same again without Pat

I'm seeing a little bit of improvement with Holly's coaching. Hope she keeps it up. She was a track girl who became an all American basketball player so she has the determination.

True true....... that game of course..... Turner did not play.... as I recall..... in addition.... UC played good 4 and 1 defense on Loyd after the first few minutes

The box in 1 might have worked better. Would have stopped all the switching. Would have worn out Carter though.

We played right into McGraw's hand playing man. They are a great passing team, great shooting team, great offensive team that thrives on backdoor cuts, pick and rolls. Look at how many points we gave up. You can't score on backdoor cuts and pick and roll, really, when your opponent is playing zone. We did an admirable job of keeping pace with ND in the first half--it was great to see us scoring as we did--but there wasn't much chance we could keep it up because we could never stop ND. Had Harrison not fallen apart to start the second half, it would have been closer--but we were playing ND's game. A good test and we will learn from it.

Yeah but we give up too many three's in zone. Mabry would have put a stop to that.

Making layups is about being fundamentally sound, plain and simple it is the first shot you practice when you join a team. A team that is fundamentally sound is well coached. We are NOT fundamentally sound. We are not well coached. It is what it is. Get over it folks, Holly is not a good coach.

Odds are that we will always be bad as long as CHW remains coach of the Vols. She will do for womens basketball what Dooley did for the football team.
If you think they don't practice layups, then you are just fundamentally clueless.

If you think they don't practice layups, then you are just fundamentally clueless.

I am not clueless and I KNOW they practice layups, that is exactly my point. It is the first shot you practice when you are on some youth league or Upwards team and they have shot thousands of them by this point in their lives. Consistantly missing layups at this point in their careers is just being lazy in your form, not focusing on the basket and following thru on shots. That is on the coach to correct those issues. Why have a coach if not to correct the mistakes. Just go out there and play street ball otherwise and see how it plays out if you are not going to coach them. You are just a CHW lover who can not admit she is not capable of coaching on this level. She would make a decent high school coach, maybe?

I am not clueless and I KNOW they practice layups, that is exactly my point. It is the first shot you practice when you are on some youth league or Upwards team and they have shot thousands of them by this point in their lives. Consistantly missing layups at this point in their careers is just being lazy in your form, not focusing on the basket and following thru on shots. That is on the coach to correct those issues. Why have a coach if not to correct the mistakes. Just go out there and play street ball otherwise and see how it plays out if you are not going to coach them. You are just a CHW lover who can not admit she is not capable of coaching on this level. She would make a decent high school coach, maybe?
So you know they are not practicing layups correctly and the coaches aren't correcting them. Just how do you know this? How many practices have you been to? I support Holly because she is our coach. She wasn't my first choice but I support her and think she has done a decent job. Not great, but decent. You are just blinded for your dislike of her for some reason and do not appear to be objective when it comes to CHW.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back