Am I the only one

miatenn5

Am I the only one who still has faith in Holly as a coach? From seeing some posts on here I am beginning to feel not very many people agree with me. She can only do so much before some blame has to go on the players. The team missed many easy shots against Auburn in the first half last night. There is nothing Holly can do about that. As much as they want to practice that that is all on the player. I still have faith in her and this team to make it to the Final Four. I think we have the talent to do it and the leadership to do it.
Hope there are still some fans out there who believe in Holly and this team as much as I do.
GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!

Reactions: 13 people
Some people just don't get it. Miatenn5

The people who complain are always going to complain. They 'think' it is 1998 every year. Nothing wrong with having expectations of having a dominate season. The people complaining would complain at ANY coach who replaced Pat.

You don't replace a legend, you just carry on the tradition. Believe me that the team's practice in the next couple days are going to suck. They've been out rebounded and you better believe Holly will not put up with that at all.

I'm SOOO impressed with our defense though. Looks great. Offense will come. People are double and tripling our post right now because they are our offensive weapons. The guards are starting to step up. Things are coming together. First comes defense then comes offense has always been the strategy for Tennessee. If people think it is going to change, then they need to find another team.

Reactions: 6 people
Remember all the people who wanted Fulmer gone thinking brighter days were ahead? We have a top 10 team. Everybody should just enjoy it while we got it.

Reactions: 2 people
Am I the only one who still has faith in Holly as a coach? From seeing some posts on here I am beginning to feel not very many people agree with me. She can only do so much before some blame has to go on the players. The team missed many easy shots against Auburn in the first half last night. There is nothing Holly can do about that. As much as they want to practice that that is all on the player. I still have faith in her and this team to make it to the Final Four. I think we have the talent to do it and the leadership to do it.
Hope there are still some fans out there who believe in Holly and this team as much as I do.
GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!
These same people probably complained about CPS too.

Reactions: 4 people
I have faith in Holly and the players. Auburn played a hell of a game. Geez, do people think we're gonna win every game by 30. There's talent in this league and we happen to have our share. Just look at the rankings. People...get real. :thud: :)

GO VOLS!

I have faith in Holly and think this team is starting to gel. They are tough.
We are #6 in the country people.

SC the #1 team barely beat Mizzo last night They barely scored 50. Wonder if SC fans are calling for CDS head?

I want to see what we look like after Monday's game with ND. This will tell us where we are as a well coached Holly team. Do you have faith that this team will not be slobber knocked into next weekend from the ND game? I hope Holly pulls a miracle out against Notre Dame somehow just to shut the haters up for the time being.

There are several players who are just not good shooters. And they have not really improved because the competition is so much better than what they faced in high school.

When we see three point shots that don't touch the rim, or bricks thrown up from inside the paint that don't have a chance of going in, just remember that they are doing what it takes to (maybe) learn how to make those shots.

Practice is one thing, doing it in a game is different.

TN is relying on being able to get a rebound, and put that in the basket.

The team is doing what needs to be done. It's just plain ugly at times ....

I think Holly has given the players a system for success. The defense is playing very well. The offense is what it is because players can't make easy shots. We missed about 8 layups last night. On most of the possessions were moving the ball and getting a good shot. We still have a player or two who still feels it is necessary to force a pass or try to make a play one on one. At least that is at the minimum now.

GO LADY VOLS!!!!!!!!

The offensive scheme has been effective in getting the LVs decent shots. You are right (particularly in the first halves of the Ark and Auburn), they have been shooting bricks.

But, they are staying together as a team and fighting hard. Whatever Holly is selling, the team is buying.

Were not #1 but we are not unranked either. Another posters comparison to Fulmer is apt, the grass is not always greener when changing coaches.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Remember all the people who wanted Fulmer gone thinking brighter days were ahead? We have a top 10 team. Everybody should just enjoy it while we got it.

Along those same lines, everyone around me seemed to complain about Jeff Fisher with the Titans and every time I would say, "I dunno ... we're making the playoffs most of the time. Look at all the teams that don't make the playoffs year after year."

Sure enough, we git rid of Fisher and it has been downhill ever since. This season we finish with 2 wins tied with just one team for dead last in the entire league. I could live with Jeff Fisher and 10-6 seasons making it to the 1st or 2nd round of the playoffs if that's the alternative.

Unfortunately, the Lady Vols are a shell of their past. It pains me to see how far we have fallen, especially when compared to UConn. Truthfully, I don't know the answer. Can Holly return us to glory? I do not know, but I sure hope someone can return us to where we once were.

I have faith in Holly and think this team is starting to gel. They are tough.
We are #6 in the country people.

SC the #1 team barely beat Mizzo last night They barely scored 50. Wonder if SC fans are calling for CDS head?

They have zero national titles. They have zero pedigree. When you hear people talk about how other teams "barely beat Missouri" or whatever, it shows that the expectations of many fans have dropped a bit after a stretch of several years when we haven't been very good and UConn has stolen our title as best program in women's basketball. Let me repeat that: UT was the best program in women's basketball for, what, a decade, 15 years? Now UConn is the best--has been for a few years--and we're kind of drifting around with a group of other teams in the second tier, eating UConn's dust, and of course have not even been to a Final Four in 7 years. I find that more than a bit frustrating.

Importantly, we are still a player when it comes to recruiting--but at the same time we've lost some mojo; we're not the recruiting powerhouse we once were; we have to compete a lot more now because we haven't been in the national title conversation for quite a long time. So Warlick either cranks it up now or we will have even more issues with recruiting and winning--as the competition is just getting tougher. Your pedigree will only carry you through a rough patch for so long; you stumble around for too long and the top recruits only know you as a team that used to be good, a long time ago. And then you don't get top recruits, and then we would be in trouble.

Also, this is a veteran team: 3 of our best 4 players this year are seniors. We NEED to make a statement this year, because we will likely regress next year, losing Harrison, Massengale and Burdick, even though we'll be adding DeShields, Russell and some freshman. UT has one of the best defensive teams in the country this year--all good. But the only way we will get back to the top is to keep playing good defense AND improve the offense, which has been consistently crappy, really, for a decade, if not longer, save for a couple of years where we were saved from our crappiness by the best player in the game. You can't win a national title with crappy, sloppy offense, I don't care how good your defense is--an idea that both Summitt and Warlick were very slow to grasp (and I'm not sure Warlick has grasped it yet, though I think it's beginning to dawn on her). And there is NO REASON at all that a team full of top-rated prospects should play crappy offense--it is unacceptable.

One of the reasons we've not been very good in recent years is that the defense fell off--we didn't have the athletes to play great defense--and when that happened we really struggled because we couldn't compensate for the crap offense, as we can this year in game's like last night. In the end, you need both--and Warlick needs to understand that. You aren't going to win a national title averaging 15 turnovers and 34 percent shooting

I also worry that our coaches are slow to develop players. Look at Graves: Excellent size, good athlete, but has barely developed at all on offense. It's doubly frustrating because we need better offensive play out of her this year without Russell inside. She has started taking a very occasional outside shot--and yet she has no inside moves--and never takes what should be relatively easy inside shots: Pop into the paint, catch and shoot. Maybe the coaches have worked with her and it's just not there--but she is always making offense harder than it needs to be, partly because she holds the ball too long (as she has been doing for 3 years) and partly because she wants to dribble when she doesn't need to. I watch her play offense and think she's gotten no good coaching. Maybe I'm wrong.

The Texas A&M performance was our best in years, and encouraging. Now Warlick needs to demand that we play well consistently--not one good game and then futz around for three before getting focused on playing well again. There is being in the top 10 or 15, and then there is being a title contender--there's a difference, and it starts and ends with coaches who demand--and get--consistently strong play, who are constantly pushing their players to get better as a team. On to Notre Dame, which should be a good gauge of where we are as a team. I think we can win the game but we'll have to play well on both ends to do it.

Reactions: 1 person
Holly is a terrible coach, if you want to call her that. When the games that matter come she will fail miserably. I followed them as far back as 1981 when I was in college so I am not a new comer to following the team. She will fail, and yes they are VOLS BY THE WAY, I always thought it was rediculous back then to call them "Lady" VOLS.

CHW is a very good coach,just look at what they can do on defense and who ever said that Izzy is all ways getting double and tripled team are right,till the players start making more perimeter shots consistently,other teams are going to be clogging the paint all game long and it is good to see Burdick finally making shots fairly consistently

Russell is missed big time this year,to go along with Izzys play in the paint this year,I do believe that with Russell playing this could be a Final 4 team and they may well get there without Russell

overall I think that CHW has done a great job and will continue to and of course everybody has there own opinion about that :)

Holly is a terrible coach, if you want to call her that. When the games that matter come she will fail miserably. I followed them as far back as 1981 when I was in college so I am not a new comer to following the team. She will fail, and yes they are VOLS BY THE WAY, I always thought it was rediculous back then to call them "Lady" VOLS.

"Ridiculous"

My wife is an ex-Lady vol (track and field) and takes tremendous pride in being part of that hallowed legacy. Since you have been following the team so long you might consider the pivotal role that the LVs program played in the establishment of women's college athletics and the success of Title IX.

But I can tell from your post that you are indeed a hard core fan, given how hard you seem to be rooting for Holly and the LV's failure.

Also, Pat Summitt did not win her first championship until 1987 (that was 10 seasons as HC without one, BTW). So, by your standard the legend coach failed in every game that mattered back in your early 1980's days of following the team.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
You are wrong, Holly is doing a fine job, recruiting very well and the D is great. Had to get the talent level back up, but 14-2 #6 is damned fine with me

I glad it is fine with you, because they won't be going much higher. This is the summit for Holly and team. No pun intended.:hi:

what does your wife think about them dropping the Lady Vols name madtownvol ? I will continue to call them that forever despite what Hart wants lol

Governmentmule,

She and all her team mates from that era (1980-84) are not happy about it at all. In some ways, letting the basketball team keep the brand added salt to the wound since it suggested that other sports were not central to the history. [And the LV track team won an national indoor championship plus several SEC titles during her time with the team]. She of course signed the petition to reinstate the LV moniker.

i signed it too,for what good it will do,I was just wondering what the players that played thought about it,thanks for the reply

Reactions: 3 people
i signed it too,for what good it will do,I was just wondering what the players that played thought about it,thanks for the reply
My sister-in-law is a former Lady Vol as well as one of her best friends. We all go the SEC tourney together every year and some Final Fours. They are not happy about the name change at all. They consider it a slap in the face.

VN Store

Back