@LadyVol_Hoops Report (1/14/15)

VN News

Head coach Holly Warlick, senior guard Ariel Massengale and freshman guard Alexa Middleton visited with the media Wednesday about #6/6 UT's Thursday SEC road game at Auburn at 7 CT/8 ET.
video_icon.png
WARLICK l
video_icon.png
MASSENGALE l
video_icon.png
MIDDLETON

More...

Sad to read that Jasmine is still having lingering symptoms, headaches etc., that are keeping her out of the line-up.

I'll bet Jones ends up missing the rest of the year. This is Massengale redux. She's done.

Nia will have to get more minutes. The team's depth has taken a hit. Moore has an idea on offense but she seems a bit scattered on the court sometimes; slow to get focused while getting back on defense. We have the two skinniest 5s in the country--and for that reason should really be 4s.

I hate Jones is out....the defense gets a +1 when Jones is on the court. Her offense is similar to Burdick's last year....hit and miss, however I do appreciate her aggressiveness when on offense. Her offensive game can be so awesome just because of her elevation alone. One has to wonder how the offense will be affected IF/WHEN she comes.back this year. Its only a plus on the defensive end when she comes back but I do worry about the offensive flow.

I'll bet Jones ends up missing the rest of the year. This is Massengale redux. She's done.

The indications from Holly are more optimistic than that. The real crucial run happens in Feb and March and if Jones can be back for that, it's all good.

Just because Massengale took a long time to recover from her concussion does not mean that Jones will. This has been discussed a lot on the Jones injury thread, but there can be considerable person by person variance when it comes to concussions and their lingering effects.

This is Jones 2nd concussions this year, they need to be very careful, if she gets a 3rd, they may tell her that is it for her.

Two concussions? Freakish. No wonder she's been out so long. Maybe she can spell Graves at the 4 spot a few minutes a game down the stretch, though I think Warlick had her playing the 3. That might be best case scenario for her. Is she practicing at all. Tough break as this should have been a big development year for her.

I wonder if Jones would be eligible to redshirt since she has only played 7 games this year?

I hate Jones is out....the defense gets a +1 when Jones is on the court. Her offense is similar to Burdick's last year....hit and miss, however I do appreciate her aggressiveness when on offense. Her offensive game can be so awesome just because of her elevation alone. One has to wonder how the offense will be affected IF/WHEN she comes.back this year. Its only a plus on the defensive end when she comes back but I do worry about the offensive flow.

Jones is a an excellent athlete but remains a very unpolished basketball player on the offensive end. Warlick had her outside as a 3, and that is not a good spot for her, IMO. She is aggressive--but perimeter players need to be good ball-handlers and good decision makers, and those are not her strengths. Helps us a lot more on defense. We don't really have a natural 2 or 3 on the team. Deshields is a good 2/3 but of course is not playing. Carter is gradually developing into an effective 2; she's got the skill set for it but just needs to keep growing in confidence.

Reactions: 1 person
Jones is a an excellent athlete but remains a very unpolished basketball player on the offensive end. Warlick had her outside as a 3, and that is not a good spot for her, IMO. She is aggressive--but perimeter players need to be good ball-handlers and good decision makers, and those are not her strengths. Helps us a lot more on defense. We don't really have a natural 2 or 3 on the team. Deshields is a good 2/3 but of course is not playing. Carter is gradually developing into an effective 2; she's got the skill set for it but just needs to keep growing in confidence.

I most definitely agree with everything you said. Jones does have more of a ways to go on the offensive in but without looking up any statistics or anything...if I recall correctly Jasmine was putting up semi-good numbers offensively at the 3 this year. Her ball handling is one of the weakest areas of her game but I can't deny, it had improved from last year. Like a previous poster said maybe she can apply for a medical hardship and we can have her at least another year. With that said, hopefully Holly will be more inclined to use her at the 4 spot if she decides to stay after Bashaara graduates.

VN Store

Back