Lady Vols Rally For Win Over UA, 60-51

VN News

Ariel Massengale sharp 3-point shooting in the second half helped UT erase a nine-point deficit and mount a 60-51 comeback win over Arkansas.

More...

Reactions: 1 person
We can beat ND, however, not the way we played today. It was like we were sleep walking until about 12 minutes to go. ND will not allow us to sleep walk. I still think that at times we either play up or down to our competition.

Beating Notre Dame at home will be a tough task. I'm not worried to much how the game turns out if we can from here to the end of the season get the offense working better. I think we have one of the top five defenses in college basketball. The offense isn't even top fifty. If we can get the offense to the same level as the defense we will be ready for a big run in the NCAA Tourney.

Reactions: 2 people
Ariel Massengale sharp 3-point shooting in the second half helped UT erase a nine-point deficit and mount a 60-51 comeback win over Arkansas.

More...

Massengale makes a few mistakes a game but her shooting has kept us in a lot of games. Right now she has a lot of confidence and that is a great help to the team. We don't mind castigating her for defensive mistakes and offensive turnovers but we need to give her a pat on the back for her offense.:clapping: I would like to see Graves be more aggressive on the offense end.

Massengale makes a few mistakes a game but her shooting has kept us in a lot of games. Right now she has a lot of confidence and that is a great help to the team. We don't mind castigating her for defensive mistakes and offensive turnovers but we need to give her a pat on the back for her offense.:clapping: I would like to see Graves be more aggressive on the offense end.

This team would really be hurting without Ariel. Carter and Reynolds are doing a nice job at the guard slots (and kind of sharing the point) but Ariel often comes in settles the team down when it is getting too frenetic and out of control. And she is the only LV who is consistently hitting threes. You have to give her credit for greatly improving that aspect of her game.

When teams pack the paint against the LVs, they have to have some outside options. And last night, she quite literally shot the team back into the game.

I have hope that both Carter and Reynolds will find a more consistent stroke from beyond the arc (Reynolds has hit some big treys). Right now Middleton looks like she has lost confidence in her shot; she will often pass up an open 3 and dribble in closer (generally not with a good result). Encouraged to see Burdick hit a 3 last night. She has a good stroke and could become another outside threat.

Per Graves, I think the flu bug really must have weakened her.

Reactions: 2 people
Miami beat ND with a 40-20 first half. I sometimes believe some fans like to predict the worse so they won't be disappointed too much if their team loses. Then if they win it can be a surprise

This team would really be hurting without Ariel. Carter and Reynolds are doing a nice job at the guard slots (and kind of sharing the point) but Ariel often comes in settles the team down when it is getting too frenetic and out of control. And she is the only LV who is consistently hitting threes. You have to give her credit for greatly improving that aspect of her game.

When teams pack the paint against the LVs, they have to have some outside options. And last night, she quite literally shot the team back into the game.

She had greatly improved her shot before last season but the concussion kept her from showing it as much.

We seem to get in a ton of games where if we just had a single player with a hot hand we could win comfortably. The AR game was a dogfight until Ariel started hitting a few.

Her main problem is that her ATO is the worst of all of the guards on the team. It is nearly 1 to 1, which is not good at all for a guard. She is where she needs to be at the two guard, coming off the bench. She can slide over to point when needed as well but she is most effective not handling the ball as much.

Holly needs to get props for figuring out how best to use Ariel's skillset.

Reactions: 1 person
it seems to me that the Lady Vols are playing to there competitions lvl instead of playing to theirs, they need to get the attitude of we are going to kill em all :)

VN Store

Back