A shout out to Cierra

madtownvol

In the early season, Cierra got a lot of criticism on this board with some suggesting that she should never even play.

Tonight, 14 pts on 7 for 9 shooting, 11 rebounds, 6 assists in 27 minutes. I am sure the plus when she was on the court was very high. A&M made their run when she was sitting.

And she has been a solid performer throughout this win streak and bringing the 'tude (intensity and passion) that is igniting the rest of the team. She is being a great senior leader.

Reactions: 9 people
How bout a shout out to nia Moore! She needs more pt. Very efficient player. Some one start a thread on her. I don't have enough posts. Great job Nia!

Reactions: 2 people
In the early season, Cierra got a lot of criticism on this board with some suggesting that she should never even play.

Tonight, 14 pts on 7 for 9 shooting, 11 rebounds, 6 assists in 27 minutes. I am sure the plus when she was on the court was very high. A&M made their run when she was sitting.

And she has been a solid performer throughout this win streak and bringing the 'tude (intensity and passion) that is igniting the rest of the team. She is being a great senior leader.
Actually, this is the first time in a long time that Cierra is doing what she is capable of doing. No one wants Cierra not to succeed on this blog!

Reactions: 1 person
Burdick has been bringing it. Her rebounding has always been solid, and like Carter she has a nice mid-range jumper--but, also like Carter, she hasn't made them consistently at all. But lately she has been shooting better--and to say that we need her and Carter to shoot well would be an understatement. We won't be a contender this year if we rely on Harrison to carry the scoring load. That WILL NOT work. So Burdick and Carter and Massenale need to put the ball in the basket--and when they do it will create more space for Harrison, since teams will have to guard other UT players and not just her. The same is true of Graves: Gosh, she is too big and athletic to be so tentative offensively.

It wasn't about us not wanting her to play as it was more of us wondering why Holly was so committed to her when she was clearly struggling and how she was still able to play even if she made mistakes but a player like Nia Moore (who was part of the reason we had early success while Izzy was out) could barely get on the floor. As the 2nd (or 3rd overall) recruit coming out of High School this is the type of game we expect from her and we should see consistently! Congrats on her improved play but if we are going to win number 9 we need more from our seniors (leaders????)

Burdick has been bringing it. Her rebounding has always been solid, and like Carter she has a nice mid-range jumper--but, also like Carter, she hasn't made them consistently at all. But lately she has been shooting better--and to say that we need her and Carter to shoot well would be an understatement. We won't be a contender this year if we rely on Harrison to carry the scoring load. That WILL NOT work. So Burdick and Carter and Massenale need to put the ball in the basket--and when they do it will create more space for Harrison, since teams will have to guard other UT players and not just her. The same is true of Graves: Gosh, she is too big and athletic to be so tentative offensively.

Good post. She has played great lately, At the start of the season I never thought I would be saying this BUT if Burdick keeps playing like this she will be an integral part of taking us to the final four. ND is very doubtful at this point and I certainly don't see 4 teams if any that are playing better than we are right now. The streak ends this year.

It appears she has been listening to somebody and responding. She is very good at catch and shoot. It is when she starts dribbling-that is when she gets in trouble. She is playing to her strengths now. You individuals who keep coming on here and making moronic comments like "Cierra got a lot of criticism now what do you all have to say" aren't making any sense. Cierra got the criticism because she deserved it. Now, she seems to have correctly responded to the criticism and is playing to her abilities. Nuff said.

I've been very vocal about my opinions on Burdick, but the biggest change I've seen from her is around composure and on-court leadership.

She does a better job managing her emotions. In tight games, her body language and facial expressions don't scream "panic!" and "I'm terrified!" She doesn't showboat, and her incidences of ill-advised showtime passes are down significantly. Last year, when she would panic, it would spread to the rest of the team; when she would showboat, it would also spread to the rest of the team. She's been a much better leader on the court.

The fact that she's making open shots is nice also, but I like what she's done with her disposition more than anything else.

Best performance last night by a Lady Vol team that I have seen in years.......... Burdick a large part of it - great game last night !

How bout a shout out to nia Moore! She needs more pt. Very efficient player. Some one start a thread on her. I don't have enough posts. Great job Nia!

Moore did very well last night. I had pegged her as a player who could feast on cupcake competition but who was not ready for prime time,.

Her performance against A&M indicates otherwise.

I hope she can continue that level of play. Izzy and Graves can't carry the full load all season. So, Nia could be a really important role player.

It appears she has been listening to somebody and responding. She is very good at catch and shoot. It is when she starts dribbling-that is when she gets in trouble. She is playing to her strengths now. You individuals who keep coming on here and making moronic comments like "Cierra got a lot of criticism now what do you all have to say" aren't making any sense. Cierra got the criticism because she deserved it. Now, she seems to have correctly responded to the criticism and is playing to her abilities. Nuff said.

One of those "you individuals" here. I won't dig through past post but there was a recurrent line of Burdick was a total bust, a terrible recruit, a bad influence on the team, and that Holly should go with the freshmen and never play Burdick. To me, she had become the fan scapegoat for a team that was struggling to find its defensive mojo and was desperately missing its main post player.

That scapegoating ignores the pluses that Burdick had brought to the LVs over her prior years and what she had been bringing to the team this season. Early in the season, her mid-range was not falling and she was forcing things (Plus, the LVs were playing pretty stagnant offense and missing Izzy's role in the high low game). But Burdick, even in the struggle period, hit the boards and brought great intensity to the floor (though other posters berated her for a "me-first, showboating attitude").

Burdick has a good handle and makes a lot of plays off the dribble. I agree that there are times when she gets caught in a bad position (i.e. top of the key and trying to dribble past a good defensive guard) and she is doing less of that now.

Reactions: 3 people
One of those "you individuals" here. I won't dig through past post but there was a recurrent line of Burdick was a total bust, a terrible recruit, a bad influence on the team, and that Holly should go with the freshmen and never play Burdick. To me, she had become the fan scapegoat for a team that was struggling to find its defensive mojo and was desperately missing its main post player.

That scapegoating ignores the pluses that Burdick had brought to the LVs over her prior years and what she had been bringing to the team this season. Early in the season, her mid-range was not falling and she was forcing things (Plus, the LVs were playing pretty stagnant offense and missing Izzy's role in the high low game). But Burdick, even in the struggle period, hit the boards and brought great intensity to the floor (though other posters berated her for a "me-first, showboating attitude").

Burdick has a good handle and makes a lot of plays off the dribble. I agree that there are times when she gets caught in a bad position (i.e. top of the key and trying to dribble past a good defensive guard) and she is doing less of that now.

I think one reason Cierra got so heavily criticized is, as a senior no less, getting herself suspended for two games. It hurt the team not having her on the court, and then it took her a while to get her 'game' when she did get back. She really let her team down and some fans went for the jugular.
Cierra has always brought more to the game than stats show or than she gets credit; hopefully in the future we will continue to see her play like last night. I like her; she is nice to talk to, but she has to step up, be a leader, control her emotions, play within her game. When she does all that, she is invaluable to us.

But Burdick, even in the struggle period, hit the boards and brought great intensity to the floor (though other posters berated her for a "me-first, showboating attitude").

Burdick's attitude is completely different this year than in years past. She was a showboater, but only against inferior teams. Then she would go into panic mode against better teams. That spread to the rest of the team. That, combined with the fact that she wasn't a very efficient player, caused a lot of people to step off her train.

She has proved her naysayers (myself included) wrong so far this season. Honestly, I haven't seen players who changed this much between Jr. and Sr. years. If she continues to play like this (game and attitude), then no one will be calling for her head. Not unlike with Holly...all things considered.,

I think one reason Cierra got so heavily criticized is, as a senior no less, getting herself suspended for two games. It hurt the team not having her on the court, and then it took her a while to get her 'game' when she did get back. She really let her team down and some fans went for the jugular.

That is a good point.

Yes, the criticism Holly has gotten pales in comparison to some of the garbage personal attacks against Burdick I've seen on here. Maybe it's good Holly didn't throw her off the team like some fans wanted....

Yes, the criticism Holly has gotten pales in comparison to some of the garbage personal attacks against Burdick I've seen on here. Maybe it's good Holly didn't throw her off the team like some fans wanted....

That's odd that you say all this....haven't you been one of those "fans"....that's taken more than the usual swipe at Cierra?!

That's odd that you say all this....haven't you been one of those "fans"....that's taken more than the usual swipe at Cierra?!
Regarding Cierra, Darthvol has consistently protested the personal attacks. My comments (and I presume Darth's) are not about specific, fact-based criticisms of Cierra's play (making unforced turnovers etc) but the stronger claims that she is a major detriment to the team and so forth.

Last edited:
Regarding Cierra, Darthvol has consistently protested the personal attacks. My comments (and I presume Darth's) are not about specific, fact-based criticisms of Cierra's play (making unforced turnovers etc) but the stronger claims that she is a major detriment to the team and so forth.

Yes personal attacks cross the line, especially with student athletes...

if you think Cierra has suffered, how do you think Meighan Simmons felt at all the haters? They should be ashamed, imho

if you think Cierra has suffered, how do you think Meighan Simmons felt at all the haters? They should be ashamed, imho

I feel the same way about Simmons, she also became a fan scape goat (and worse) despite busting her butt on the court game in, game out.

Hopefully, the players are oblivious to fan boards and so I am personally worried that Burdick or Simmons have suffered.

You must not be watching the same player as I am. We're talking Cierra Burdick of the Lady Vols. She doesn't make a lot of plays off the dribble. She is best at catch and shoot-i.e. no dribbling. When she dribbles disaster usually happens. She is an excellent rebounder and defender too. Now, she is playing to all her strengths and minimizing the "off of the dribble."

VN Store

Back