shakeup in the top 10

Darth_Vol

In addition to the Texas A&M loss to the Lady Vols tonight, Notre Dame and UNC both lose on the road....

Reactions: 1 person
We need a big win on the road against a top 10 team. That will be Holly's next step.

We need a big win on the road against a top 10 team. That will be Holly's next step.

TA&M was #9, we beat them by 23. Granted it wasn't on the road, but this was another big win for this team. I don't think there's a lot this team can do wrong right now.

But to your exact point, we still have Jan. 19th @#4 Notre Dame, @ #10 KY, and @#1 USCjr late in the season. Plenty of opportunities. I hope we beat Notre Dame, that win could solidify a #1 bid potentially.

Where'd the Holly naysayers go?

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
If we don't lose to any unranked teams and only lose a couple the rest of the way (and look good doing it) like maybe one to Notre Dame or South Carolina and then maybe one either in the tournament or to a decent ranked team like Kentucky, Mississippi State, or Georgia, then I think we have a decent shot at a #1 ranking.

It's mostly a function of when and who the losses occur, but there's going to be enough fighting amongst the other teams to leave an opportunity for a #1 seed. UCONN, aside from South Carolina, doesn't really have any tests left, so they're going to get a #1 seed. So, who gets the other 3?

Texas doesn't have a lot of tests left either. I personally think they are a bit overrated but I also don't think Baylor is that good either nor the rest of the teams in the Big 12. Texas probably gets a #1. Two more #1 seeds left ...

After last night, Notre Dame looks vulnerable and they will face us plus Louisville, UNC, and Duke. The latter 3 teams they could face again in the ACC tournament. Louisville plays all those teams too except us plus they still need to play Syracuse. And, they too, could face one or more of them again in the ACC tournament.

Obviously the SEC is highly contested with us and South Carolina plus some others looking in like Kentucky, TAM, Mississippi State, and Georgia.

I think at least one team from the SEC will get a #1 seed most likely South Carolina or us and depending on how the games go here and in the ACC will dictate who gets the 4th seed. Two SEC teams COULD get a #1 seed like last year, but again, such a team can't be losing to unranked teams down the stretch and needs some marquee wins plus some help from the ACC.

If it's not us, hopefully we'll be in as a #2 in the same bracket as either Texas/Baylor or the ACC team that gets in of ND/Louisville/NorthCarolina/Duke.

I don't really think the PAC-12 (Oregon State, Stanford, Arizona State) or Big 10 (Maryland, Iowa, Rutgers) have a feasible path to a #1 unless someone convincingly ran the table and the SEC and ACC just really beat themselves up and spread the losses out in such a way that an unranked wins the conference tournament.

I guess Texas is more vulnerable than I thought. They just lost to an unranked. I wonder, if we beat Arkansas, if they'll put Texas or Notre Dame or both below us. Based on history probably not but realistically I think we should be ahead of Notre Dame because they lost by so much to an unranked and we just beat a top 10.

in 3 days, 3,4,8, and 9 all lost. Two of the four were by at least 15 and to unranked opponents. If we win tomorrow, we better be no lower than 5

Last edited:
The problem though is that we are 7, so 8 and 9 losing doesn't help us. The teams at 3 and 4 would have to drop below us. Teams 1,2,5, and 6 all won. We typically haven't done well in ranking scenarios. We can control our own destiny when we play ND and South Carolina anyway, but it's nice to be higher up in general so if a loss happens at some point, the impact isn't as severe.

Texas, #3, lost by 2 at unranked Iowa State. Not sure if that will result in them dropping more than three spots. Plus, dropping them below the Lady Vols, whom they beat and who also have a loss to an unranked team is probably not going to happen. If I were to guess, I'd say that the Lady Vols end up at 6, with Texas at 5.

Jim

TA&M was #9, we beat them by 23. Granted it wasn't on the road, but this was another big win for this team. I don't think there's a lot this team can do wrong right now.

But to your exact point, we still have Jan. 19th @#4 Notre Dame, @ #10 KY, and @#1 USCjr late in the season. Plenty of opportunities. I hope we beat Notre Dame, that win could solidify a #1 bid potentially.

USCjr., really, I am not shy to say I was a naysayer. While I am not ready to make her the heir apparent to Pat and Geno, I must admit that the team is looking a lot better. As I have discredited Holly, I must give her credit at this point of the season. The season is a long way from being over so we have a long way to go before the end of the season. It is not the start or the middle it is the end. In the end history will be the judge of Holly's coaching ability. I pray and hope history is favorable to Holly and her coaching staff.

Last edited:
Well, they surprisingly did move us ahead of ND but only dropped Texas one spot which is a bit surprising, too. I could be wrong, but Baylor looks very overrated at the #3 spot.

I still admit that I am not scared to admit that I was a Holly naysayer. I have seen improvement defensively but we are not there consistently offensively. I am trying very hard to be positive. But we still need to remember that the season is still a long way from being finished. I still have questions about Holly's use of timeouts when the team goes into a funk. We still have two open scholarships for 2015 that have not been filled.

I am not ready to give her the trophy for national coach of the year. I think that they can beat ND but the ladies will have to fine some offense and they cannot give ND a lot of open looks offensively. Again I am not against Holly, I want her to evolve into one one of the best coaches in the game.

Last edited:
I think we have to be more motivated on away games. We have to stop coming out flat without energy. If we do that against Notre Dame, LSU, USC then we will lose.

We're still here.

Reactions: 3 people
Texas goes down to Oklahoma.
If we take care of Auburn, we will move into #5.

I feel confident Louisville and Baylor will both lose at least one before season's end. I think Louisville is better than Baylor but I think they also have tougher teams to play. Baylor plays Texas twice and both games are to be played soon. Louisville has 5 ranked teams left on the schedule and I expect all of them will be close.

On February 9th, South Carolina or Uconn will have to lose although we have 7 games before then and 4 of them are to ranked teams and 2 of those games are on the road.

I think the Notre Dame game for us is going to be a big statement game. With a win, it's going to convey the message that this group has turned the corner and back on top to contend. If we lose, I fear they will regress back into the "knocking on the door" mentality and be vulnerable.

Well, they surprisingly did move us ahead of ND but only dropped Texas one spot which is a bit surprising, too. I could be wrong, but Baylor looks very overrated at the #3 spot.
And down goes Texas (BU75-Tex58). Horns are now only 3-1 vs Top 10 teams.

There's always a team or two hanging around the top 4 who doesn't have as good as competition left to play as we do. Usually that team has been Stanford but this year Baylor and Maryland both don't have a lot of competition the rest of the way and both managed to sneak up into contention. I still think we can control our own destiny AND I still think Baylor will lose at least once and possibly twice. Maryland has #20 Iowa, #15 Nebraska, and #22 Rutgers plus the conference tournament. I hope that'll be enough to give them at last one maybe two losses.

However, unfortunately, it doesn't leave us a lot of wiggle room if a top seed in the tournament is our goal. We have 3 road games against ranked teams including our next game against Kentucky and against #1 South Carolina. Obviously winning the SEC tournament will be a big boost to seeding to whichever team can manage it.

There's always a team or two hanging around the top 4 who doesn't have as good as competition left to play as we do. Usually that team has been Stanford but this year Baylor and Maryland both don't have a lot of competition the rest of the way and both managed to sneak up into contention. I still think we can control our own destiny AND I still think Baylor will lose at least once and possibly twice. Maryland has #20 Iowa, #15 Nebraska, and #22 Rutgers plus the conference tournament. I hope that'll be enough to give them at last one maybe two losses.

However, unfortunately, it doesn't leave us a lot of wiggle room if a top seed in the tournament is our goal. We have 3 road games against ranked teams including our next game against Kentucky and against #1 South Carolina. Obviously winning the SEC tournament will be a big boost to seeding to whichever team can manage it.

If, and its a big if, we can manage to beat sc and win the reg season then i think we have a great shot at a one seed, provided we dont have an early exit from the sec tourny

VN Store

Back