Boycott Nike For the Lady Vols

Brianchevy

Dear VolNation,

As a long time supporter of the Lady Vols, I will be boycotting the purchase of new Nike Jerseys until the Athletic Department changes it's stance on the Lady Vol name and logo. I understand that the Basketball Lady Vols will not be affected, but that shouldn't change our stance. So while the Footballers will have shiney new nike uniforms for sale all over the place, i hope you will join me in not buying ANYTHING with a Swoosh on it until the AD changes the position and allows ALL FEMALE ATHLETES to have "Lady Vols" logo and name.

Signed
-A Loyal Vol, father of 2 current vols, husband of 1, father of future Lady Vol.

Reactions: 10 people
What does Nike have to do with the decision of the AD? Get a grip papaw.

signed

wearer of Rustler brand jeans, keeping people off my lawn and prevention of loud music

Reactions: 12 people
Why can't we all just be "Tennessee Volunteers"? If there MUST be a "Lady Vol"... they need to incorporate the Power T! Their own logo, totally different from the University make ZERO sense. It never has, IMO.

Reactions: 10 people
Yes boycott buying apparel from the university that'll teach them. Oh wait apparel sales and football tickets sales are what fund all other VOLS athletics although I doubt they will miss you buying a basketball jersey.

The only people Dave Hart works for are:
1) Jimmy Cheek and the Trustees (meeting on Jan 20 to review this decision)
2) Nike (with the big contract starting July 1, they expect a big payday for Nike)

we are working to influence both of these decisions.

The Lady Vols Logo and brand are one of the most valuable in all of ladies sports, you don't just THROW AWAY a valuable brand. You might update it, perhaps make the logo look a little more like the new Power T logo that the men have, but you don't throw away something of value...

Reactions: 6 people
Yes boycott buying apparel from the university that'll teach them. Oh wait apparel sales and football tickets sales are what fund all other VOLS athletics although I doubt they will miss you buying a basketball jersey.

Might not miss my jersey sale, or my new running shoe sale, but if all the Lady Vol fans commit to the full boycott, then it will be an impact on Nike Sales numbers and they might address it with the university. $$$ is root of this, take their $$ and dave hart will pay attention.

Reactions: 2 people
Might not miss my jersey sale, or my new running shoe sale, but if all the Lady Vol fans commit to the full boycott, then it will be an impact on Nike Sales numbers and they might address it with the university. $$$ is root of this, take their $$ and dave hart will pay attention.

Dont think you get it, if a boycott is started and no one buys nike stuff then the University doesnt get money to fund athletic programs. Now what do you think is going to go first Womens basketball or Football?

The meanest, roughest, toughest basketball players are anything but ladylike.

Can we merge this beaten horse of a thread with the others that have thrown hissy fits over smart marketing and branding....lol smh

Reactions: 1 person
Why can't we all just be "Tennessee Volunteers"? If there MUST be a "Lady Vol"... they need to incorporate the Power T! Their own logo, totally different from the University make ZERO sense. It never has, IMO.

No more different 'from the University' than the Power T is.

Dear VolNation,

As a long time supporter of the Lady Vols, I will be boycotting the purchase of new Nike Jerseys until the Athletic Department changes it's stance on the Lady Vol name and logo. I understand that the Basketball Lady Vols will not be affected, but that shouldn't change our stance. So while the Footballers will have shiney new nike uniforms for sale all over the place, i hope you will join me in not buying ANYTHING with a Swoosh on it until the AD changes the position and allows ALL FEMALE ATHLETES to have "Lady Vols" logo and name.

Signed
-A Loyal Vol, father of 2 current vols, husband of 1, father of future Lady Vol.

So let me get this strait.... You want to financially punish the UNIVERSITY by not buying NIKE products. However, as you indicate I your signature you'll send the UNIVERSITY thousands of dollars in tuition as the "father of future Lady Vol"! Gotcha man.

Gee, i would have thought this would have support over here in the Lady Vol forum.. Guess I was wrong. Thanks anyway guys & gals.

I agree the Lady Vols should stay a tradition. It has nothing to do with equality. It is about political correctness. And, I'm against political correctness just for the sake of political correctness. There is nothing wrong with identifying women as ladies any more than anything wrong with identifying men as gentlemen. The reason they did it years ago is so fans could tell when reading head lines or trying to look for schedules they would not get confused as to whether it was a women's team or a men's team and it stuck as a tradition. Now, if they go back to just identifying all teams as VOLS then fans will have to take the extra time to figure out if it's the women or the men.

Plus, Lady Vols is a cool brand. They have done a very good job with it. Also, them saying they're not going to do it to the Basketball team is BS and they're liars. They are just doing it incrementally.

P.S.-I don't buy anything NIKE anyway. Don't like any of their products. Never have.

Last edited:
Reactions: 8 people
I agree the Lady Vols should stay a tradition. It has nothing to do with equality. It is about political correctness. And, I'm against political correctness just for the sake of political correctness. There is nothing wrong with identifying women as ladies any more than anything wrong with identifying men as gentlemen. The reason they did it years ago is so fans could tell when reading head lines or trying to look for schedules they would not get confused as to whether it was a women's team or a men's team and it stuck as a tradition. Now, if they go back to just identifying all teams as VOLS then fans will have to take the extra time to figure out if it's the women or the men.

Plus, Lady Vols is a cool brand. They have done a very good job with it. Also, them saying they're not going to do it to the Basketball team is BS and they're liars. They are just doing it incrementally.

P.S.-I don't buy anything NIKE anyway. Don't like any of their products. Never have.

I'm with you 2/3 of the way! I also believe this is an incremental change, and Lady Vols basketball will in time be kicked to the curb along with the rest of the UT Lady Vols.

And I never buy Nike products either. I am open to buying Nike Lady Vols gear.

I veer away from you on the political correctness thing. I don't think the Lady Vols should be called that because they're ladies, but because that's their name and that's what everyone knows them by. Over time, that name has acquired a legacy to be proud of, and it's a name that our opponents know and react to (Fear us, haw!). I don't get the motivation for dropping all of that, that was so hard fought for and earned. The Lady Vols were always Vols, but they had their own great name that made them special. They earned the recognition and they've done nothing to have it stripped.

Reactions: 5 people

VN Store

Back