this is the worst offensive team in program history

Darth_Vol

We're far enough into the season to make it official, and it isn't improving. Absolutely no identity on offense. The players have no clue, because their coach has no clue.

How many teams haven't shot over 50% at least once in a game this season?

Reactions: 5 people
Aren't they like 10-2 and ranked #7 in the country? Fahr Holly!

Will defense keep us at our current lofty position? If we can keep everyone under 40% shooting and we continue to shoot under 40% we have a good shot at running the table and making it to the NC. I am proud of our current position but there is still a lot of improvement that needs to take place.

Reactions: 2 people
Aren't they like 10-2 and ranked #7 in the country? Fahr Holly!

Yes they've won games due to raw talent and defense. That doesn't change the fact that the offense is at an all time low. Let's see how far that gets them in March.

At least with the win tonight, they've proven themselves to be the second best team in the state...

Reactions: 1 person
Yes they've won games due to raw talent and defense. That doesn't change the fact that the offense is at an all time low. Let's see how far that gets them in March.

At least with the win tonight, they've proven themselves to be the second best team in the state...

Yep and the #7 team in the country at that....being the second best team in Tenn!

We're far enough into the season to make it official, and it isn't improving. Absolutely no identity on offense. The players have no clue, because their coach has no clue.

How many teams haven't shot over 50% at least once in a game this season?

Makes me wonder, if we haven't improved on offense yet, we probably won't the rest of the way. I also wonder if holly's lack of interest in offense will eventually run recruits off. Even holly admitted once that recruits love to concentrate solely on offense during their hs careers. Additionally, attendance numbers would improve and we could gain new fans if we ran a creative and effective offense. Just my 2 cents

Tennessee has been bad offensively for many years. We've had a relatively low shooting percentage, low assist totals, high turnover rate and bad passing going back to when we were going to final fours with some regularity. Even then our shooting percentage was pretty weak. Summitt was known for defense, rebounding and ugly offensive basketball--and Warlick apparently wants to maintain that tradition, despite the fact that it's very obvious that we will not beat UConn or win another national title unless and until we become equally strong on /both/ ends on the court.

The good news is that this is one of UT's best defensive teams in a long time. What's really killed us in recent years is that we fell off defensively, which combined with our usual offensive woes meant trouble. We couldn't play great man defense like we could in UT's salad days. This year, we can. We really bother teams with our length and our size and our switching--and Jones, another very good defender with size and length--hasn't even been playing. We will be formidable as long as we keep getting at it on defense--but our margin against good/competent teams will not be big as we struggle to score ourselves. We're moving the ball somewhat better, but we still have too many turnovers, miss too many relatively easy shots--and we're not very good at creating easy baskets off picks and crisp passing like better offensive teams do. As the announcers said tonight, this is essentially the UT paradigm: strong defense, rebound, stumble around on offense. We're rather a victim of our success: This formula as worked for us--until recently. But it is also an outdated formula if the goal is hoisting the big trophy at the end of the tourney. To do that we HAVE to get better and more efficient on offense. But I doubt Warlick sees it that way.

Reactions: 3 people
When your head coach is recorded saying "I go in and think about how we're going to stop someone . . . I just want to see how we're going to defend, and hopefully the offense will take care of itself." From the Vandy post game press conference. The offense is going to continue to be stagnant, boring and just plain poor. I'm afraid I'm starting to lean toward the idea that Holly just isn't going to be able to take this program to the levels expected of the Lady Vols. She may be a decent interim coach, but unless she changes her "philosophy" soon to include an offensive component, she'll never be the type of winner we've grown to expect.

Jim

Reactions: 5 people
What's going to happen, imo is, The Lady Vols are going to continue to slide slowly downward. Then when it's too late, a new head coach will be brought in. I hope I'm totally wrong here, but since Holly has taken over, the Lady Vols just aren't the same. I don't care how good defensively they are, the better teams are going to kill the Lady Vols. Lady Vols will not be playing for a national championship anytime soon. Not a nega vol, just calling it like I see it.

Reactions: 4 people
What's going to happen, imo is, The Lady Vols are going to continue to slide slowly downward. Then when it's too late, a new head coach will be brought in. I hope I'm totally wrong here, but since Holly has taken over, the Lady Vols just aren't the same. I don't care how good defensively they are, the better teams are going to kill the Lady Vols. Lady Vols will not be playing for a national championship anytime soon. Not a nega vol, just calling it like I see it.

I agree and have thought this for awhile now.:cray:

Where is the I hate cute puppy dogs thread? Seriously, it is hard to have a glorious offensive showing when playing a team like Vandy, which grabs, pushes, shoves with near impunity, while Izzy gets nailed for touch fouls and Graves gets a charging foul when a Vandy player runs underneath her. Or consider the elbow to the face that Burdick got; do you think that would have been a no call, if Izzy had been he culprit?

So, instead of again lamenting about the offense, how about celebrating that this LVs team has become the scrappiest, toughest, and most resilient team in years. I give Holly props for turning a group of players who had been giving lackluster efforts in the early season into a one that hustles and fights for 40 minutes.

I'll give you it ain't pretty but its fun to watch. The LVs re becoming on of those teams that no one wants to play. Carter is now going offensively. We just need Izzy to get back into her groove.

Reactions: 9 people
Complaining about a team that has 2 loses and beat Vandy on their home floor is unwarranted. 2 loses is not and never has been a slow downward spiral and never will be. They won.

Reactions: 8 people
Seriously, it is hard to have a glorious offensive showing when playing a team like Vandy, which grabs, pushes, shoves with near impunity

UConn scored 91 on Vandy over Thanksgiving weekend. Marquette put up 80 against Vandy 2 weeks ago. Teams are doing it, just not the Vols.

UConn scored 91 on Vandy over Thanksgiving weekend. Marquette put up 80 against Vandy 2 weeks ago. Teams are doing it, just not the Vols.
Go watch those games and come back and tell us if the post players got away with what Vandy got away with last night. There is your answer.

Holly will never win a NC which means Tn won't. Holly could not get a HC gig at any major school, that is why she had never been one.

Why don't you guys debate his point instead of attacking him personally? I think their offense is improving. It is just that Vandy was collapsing in the paint. Also, Vandy wasn't going to let us run. But, I thought we had pretty good ball movement in the half court and they are getting more confident with the threes. Also, the refs let them play a very physical game except for Harrison. They all seem to be fixated on her.

As long as Holly's coaching is improving which it seems to be I don't have a problem with her. She has better control of the team and they are actually adapting to their opponents pretty well.

Holly will never win a NC which means Tn won't. Holly could not get a HC gig at any major school, that is why she had never been one.

Holly has interviewed for at least three head coaching positions and turned them all down, because she wanted to stay at Tennessee.

Why don't you guys debate his point instead of attacking him personally? I think their offense is improving. It is just that Vandy was collapsing in the paint. Also, Vandy wasn't going to let us run. But, I thought we had pretty good ball movement in the half court and they are getting more confident with the threes. Also, the refs let them play a very physical game except for Harrison. They all seem to be fixated on her.
There is something to the fixation on Harrison. I watched after one particularly rough play against Izzy that the ref Grinter ran down the court beside Izzy all the way while looking at her the whole time. Izzy didn't react but it looked like Grinter was just hoping Izzy would react. I don't recall ever seeing something like that from a ref when a player never reacted initially. Last night was like "we are going to teach her a lesson". There is no excuse for what went on last night.

Since Pats philosophy has won her 8 nc... Is it really a bad philosophy?

As Vol fans we have to realize that what worked for Pat may not work today. The top teams strive to play good ball on both defense and offense. Pat was, in my mind, the best women's coach ever, however, just like we no longer use peach baskets as goals, we need to move in another direction. Now if we can play good defense, as we are, and hold everyone below 40% we have a legit shot, however, that would be a miracle. I need a historian, did Pat ever have a team that shot less than 40% and won an NC? I know they seemed to always be good on defense.

Sometime in the future, they will have to practice some offensive sets against the zone. Defense is still very important, but you have to score a few points to win. It appears they still run the offense which Pat installed a few years ago. It seems to clog up the middle and zone are very effective against that offense unless you can hit over 45% of your threes. If DeShields was playing this year, our offense would be better than it is now. Also, we do have some freshmen who can rain the three, but they seem to be getting fewer minutes on the floor.

VN Store

Back