Future Recruits Question

I81Exit146

Are the Lady Vols trying to recruit any post players? Seems like Mercedes Russell is going to be the tallest for a couple of years to come, yet she never impressed me last year.

It seems like everyone is the same size now.

Is it just me?

Are the Lady Vols trying to recruit any post players? Seems like Mercedes Russell is going to be the tallest for a couple of years to come, yet she never impressed me last year.

Is it just me?
Russell played hurt last year, so I wouldn't read too much into her play

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
I agree Russell played hurt last season. You could tell the way she ran up and down the court. I believe she will be a force in the middle. I saw a little what she will bring to the table against Texas A&M in the SEC Tourney. I still think we need at least another elite post player to battle with other top teams. The guard play will only get better next season.

Nope, Holly is only recruiting guards and forwards who can't shoot or succeed in her system. Posts are the last thing on her mind right now.

(sarcasm off)

Last edited:
I agree Russell played hurt last season. You could tell the way she ran up and down the court. I believe she will be a force in the middle. I saw a little what she will bring to the table against Texas A&M in the SEC Tourney. I still think we need at least another elite post player to battle with other top teams. The guard play will only get better next season.

There is no doubt that we should have the post position at the top of the recruitment list. If I were Holly I sure would be talking to Tiera McGowan. She was set on Baylor until Baylor signed the two post players we were interested in signing for 2015. Right now she is uncommitted. She is a little raw but most tall girls at 6'7" need to be developed because it does not take much for them to rule the high school game.

I think out of the 2016 class we could possibly sign 2 post I hope. Any word on Natasha Mack from Texas? The guard play is improving to me and that's encouraging.

Nope, Holly is only recruiting guards and forwards who can't shoot or succeed in her system. Posts are the last thing on her mind right now.

(sarcasm off)

Since you did mention guards and Sierra Calhoun is transferring, would Tennessee be interested?

There is no doubt that we should have the post position at the top of the recruitment list. If I were Holly I sure would be talking to Tiera McGowan. She was set on Baylor until Baylor signed the two post players we were interested in signing for 2015. Right now she is uncommitted. She is a little raw but most tall girls at 6'7" need to be developed because it does not take much for them to rule the high school game.

There must be a reason why Holly and many other schools have not offered McCowan. There are lot of things that goes on behind the scenes in recruiting that we as fans have no clue. As someone said if you check out her Twitter and Instagram it may be a clue why schools have not offered her. I have no clue. I don't have any social media accounts and have no clue of what picture she is painting that is being portrayed on social media. There has to be a reason why McCowan have't signed with a school yet. I trust this coaching staff.

There must be a reason why Holly and many other schools have not offered McCowan. There are lot of things that goes on behind the scenes in recruiting that we as fans have no clue. As someone said if you check out her Twitter and Instagram it may be a clue why schools have not offered her. I have no clue. I don't have any social media accounts and have no clue of what picture she is painting that is being portrayed on social media. There has to be a reason why McCowan have't signed with a school yet. I trust this coaching staff.

WE here at Vol Nation know EVERYTHING!!!!!

what have you heard???

Since you did mention guards and Sierra Calhoun is transferring, would Tennessee be interested?

I believe Calhoun is only 6' and has some serious hops. She can shot which would be a plus for the Vols. She would have to sat out for the first part of the season. The question, is Holly so committed to defense that offense is a second thought? Several of the players on the team were good shooters in high school but have somehow lost their touch.

1-7 against Alabama
1-6 against Marquette
1-9 against Texas A&M
3-12 against South Carolina
0-8 against UConn

Obviously there have been issues lately or the young lady would not be leaving. Maybe she does not fit into the Duke program. Just maybe it's coaching or a need to move on to another program. Emotions also play a large part in dealing with young athletics. A lot of high school 5 stars turn into no stars when they get into college. The biggest issue with most is in high school 5 stars are set on a pedestal and become dejected when they are no longer the BPOC. Hasn't there been some issues with other Duke recruits?

Is it just me?

This thread is either sarcasm or just plain dumb. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and just say sarcasm.:crazy:

Next year it is Russell, Moore, Graves, and Jones inside. Looks like they are trying to use Dunbar inside on defense as well. I think that is probably her best place to get playing time. I wish we had one more wide body post like we've had in the past to play inside.

I know the coaching staff has spent a lot of time in the state of Texas on the recruiting trail. My only guess is that they are going really hard after 6'4" post Natasha Mack. I know they are recruiting Cox and Holmes, but I'll be shock if either of the two leave the state of Texas. I can see both of them being Longhorns especially after they were pictured throwing up the Longhorns' sign at the game against Tennessee. We are recruiting Johnson another 6'4" post from Duncanville High School in Texas, which is the same high school Tamika Catchings attended. I think they are also recruiting Krystaline McCune a 6'3" post out of Louisville, Kentucky. I am hoping we at least sign 1 maybe 2 of these post players. I am sure their are other players we know nothing about.

I know the coaching staff has spent a lot of time in the state of Texas on the recruiting trail. My only guess is that they are going really hard after 6'4" post Natasha Mack. I know they are recruiting Cox and Holmes, but I'll be shock if either of the two leave the state of Texas. I can see both of them being Longhorns especially after they were pictured throwing up the Longhorns' sign at the game against Tennessee. We are recruiting Johnson another 6'4" post from Duncanville High School in Texas, which is the same high school Tamika Catchings attended. I think they are also recruiting Krystaline McCune a 6'3" post out of Louisville, Kentucky. I am hoping we at least sign 1 maybe 2 of these post players. I am sure their are other players we know nothing about.

Johnson, Mack, & McClune are very high on TN's radar. They are still looking at Cox & Holmes, but know it's very unlikely they leave Texas.

Even if we were interested in her, we'd never get her.
In 2013 spring her list was:
UCONN, ND, Duke, St. Johns, Rutgers.
Then went down to:
UCONN ND DUke.

3 transfers in 3 years from Duke doesn't look good at all. I did notice that all 3 players that left went back to their home state or close to it, so I'm going on a ledge and saying distance was too far from them.

She will end up either at UCONN, St. Johns, or Rutgers. Geno is a horse*** so he probably won't sign her because she choose Duke over him and his ego probably won't allow her on campus. She is averaging 10pts a game though as a freshman.

Wonder if we will pick up Duke on the schedule since Duke is dropping UCONN.

Even if we were interested in her, we'd never get her.
In 2013 spring her list was:
UCONN, ND, Duke, St. Johns, Rutgers.
Then went down to:
UCONN ND DUke.

3 transfers in 3 years from Duke doesn't look good at all. I did notice that all 3 players that left went back to their home state or close to it, so I'm going on a ledge and saying distance was too far from them.
She will end up either at UCONN, St. Johns, or Rutgers. Geno is a horse*** so he probably won't sign her because she choose Duke over him and his ego probably won't allow her on campus. She is averaging 10pts a game though as a freshman.

Wonder if we will pick up Duke on the schedule since Duke is dropping UCONN.

I think JPM said that they would pick up a series with Tennessee or either Stanford. I hope we can start a series with Duke, we need some better non-conference opponets.

VN Store

Back