Interesting Game

teacherdean

I don't know how much praise is due the ladies for the game, except thank God for defense and poorer shooting by Vandy. This was not exactly Texas A&M. We have freshmen on the bench and Vandy has three starting. Are any of Vandy's freshmen 5 stars? We still have a lot of work to do.

Our bench scored 12 points tonight on 2 for 15 shooting. All the points were scored by Ariel. Holly essentially has a 6 player rotation in close games. As teacherdean said in the post above, "We have freshmen on the bench and Vandy has three starting. Are any of Vandy's freshmen 5 stars?" Thankfully Carter came to play tonight.

Our bench scored 12 points tonight on 2 for 15 shooting. All the points were scored by Ariel. Holly essentially has a 6 player rotation in close games. As teacherdean said in the post above, "We have freshmen on the bench and Vandy has three starting. Are any of Vandy's freshmen 5 stars?" Thankfully Carter came to play tonight.

I'm extremely disappointed in nared. she played so well in the McDonald's game, but looks so lost out there sometimes..when she does have an open look she misses most of the time.

Reactions: 2 people
Izzy is going to have to learn how to play with players deliberately trying to make her foul out. When she plays her game, the team plays a lot smoother.

Reactions: 3 people
I agree about Nared: She has not impressed much. She looks like a fluid athlete, but has missed a lot of open shots and just not done much in limited minutes. I think she plays more than Dunbar--who seems to be a better shooter--apparently because Nared plays better defense. You know Warlick.

It is unfortunate that Russell can't play as she would be taking a lot of the pressure off Harrison, who could then play the 4 spot rather than the 5. She doesn't have the bulk to be a center and suffers against untalented bruisers like Vandy put on the floor tonight. It was a very physical game and Harrison is going to find it tough this year. I get a sense that Warlick and our training staff are exceedingly cautious about injuries/surgeries, etc. Warlick suggested before the season that Russell could perhaps have played but she thought it better to give her a recovery year. We are awfully cautious and slow when it comes to rehab. It's frustrating because with Russell we might have something. And of course Jones has missed several games now, too.

Reactions: 1 person
I don't know how much praise is due the ladies for the game, except thank God for defense and poorer shooting by Vandy. This was not exactly Texas A&M. We have freshmen on the bench and Vandy has three starting. Are any of Vandy's freshmen 5 stars? We still have a lot of work to do.

Our ladies shouda won by 20. :yes:

This teams have come a long way offensively compared to earlier in the season. The ball movement is better, they are moving with a purpose and the guards are improving. Its not the coach's fault when a player is wide open and miss. That's on the player. Get in the gym like Carter and gain confidence with repetition. The team doesn't look confuse like earlier in the season. The sloppy passess and unforced turnovers are on the players. I can finally see that they really practice offense and Holly saying that she really don't care is coach's talk. I can see a difference. We need to just consistently knock down shots.

Reactions: 4 people
I agree about Nared: She has not impressed much. She looks like a fluid athlete, but has missed a lot of open shots and just not done much in limited minutes. I think she plays more than Dunbar--who seems to be a better shooter--apparently because Nared plays better defense. You know Warlick.

It is unfortunate that Russell can't play as she would be taking a lot of the pressure off Harrison, who could then play the 4 spot rather than the 5. She doesn't have the bulk to be a center and suffers against untalented bruisers like Vandy put on the floor tonight. It was a very physical game and Harrison is going to find it tough this year. I get a sense that Warlick and our training staff are exceedingly cautious about injuries/surgeries, etc. Warlick suggested before the season that Russell could perhaps have played but she thought it better to give her a recovery year. We are awfully cautious and slow when it comes to rehab. It's frustrating because with Russell we might have something. And of course Jones has missed several games now, too.

If I'm not mistaken, Holly said Russell would of been ready by conference play. She would of missed half of the season and she would of been behind in condition and getting post reps. Having foot surgery is a big deal and you need time to heal. She also said she didn't want to cheat Russell out of her college experience. I think the right decision was mad to Redshirt her. She will have 3 years to play healthy after coming off a year of rest and healing.

Holly seems to pleased with a team that is hurting on offense. Scoring 60 or less points will not get you to the final 4. Now if you are happy making it to the tournament and perhaps the elite 8 then just maybe we have the right coach and the right team. Tonight we looked very bad against an inexperienced team with players who, because of injuries, are just learning to play together. We should have beat the snot out of Vany, no ifs, ands or buts.

Holly seems to pleased with a team that is hurting on offense. Scoring 60 or less points will not get you to the final 4. Now if you are happy making it to the tournament and perhaps the elite 8 then just maybe we have the right coach and the right team. Tonight we looked very bad against an inexperienced team with players who, because of injuries, are just learning to play together. We should have beat the snot out of Vany, no ifs, ands or buts.

I get your point, but this team is now running offensive sets and moving with a purpose. Our shooting is just bad. Even Carter said the staff had been putting in extra time with her to improve her shooting. What else do you suggest the staff do? I will say, this team plays down to their competition and they need to develop a killer instinct. I do see improvement in the team and coaching staff from earlier in the season.

I get your point, but this team is now running offensive sets and moving with a purpose. Our shooting is just bad. Even Carter said the staff had been putting in extra time with her to improve her shooting. What else do you suggest the staff do? I will say, this team plays down to their competition and they need to develop a killer instinct. I do see improvement in the team and coaching staff from earlier in the season.

Like most fans I am just wonder if the team at this point is suffering from shooter's block, which happens to the best, even in the professional ranks. It is just rare that you have a high percentage of players suffering from shooter's block. Wild as it might sound, I wonder if a sports psychologist would help? We also need to control our turnovers, didn't we have over 14 tonight?

Like most fans I am just wonder if the team at this point is suffering from shooter's block, which happens to the best, even in the professional ranks. It is just rare that you have a high percentage of players suffering from shooter's block. Wild as it might sound, I wonder if a sports psychologist would help? We also need to control our turnovers, didn't we have over 14 tonight?

They have one. Maybe we need to get Rashaun Davies' mother to put a spell on the team. Think that would be as likely to work as anything:boredom: it is painful to watch...and a lot of the shots look good, they just DON'T go in:eek:hmy:

Offense starts with passing not dribbling. I think we are much improved in our offense compared to the start. The last couple games our bball movement has been solid. This is the best offensive movement I've seen in awhile actually. Next will come shots from the outside. We were lead tonight by our guards. That's a good sign.

You guys really need to lay off the hatorade. Every team we play from now on in the sec is going to play either a sagging zone or sagging man defense. Harrison is our gtp. Teams are going to triple her every opportunity. Vandy played good post defense and slowed our post offensively. Are guards stepped up and won the game.

Last time I checked the goal in basketball is to score more points... I think we did this.

Stop comparing our team to 'well if we played the Brazil National Women's team we would of lost'

We played Vandy, our game plan was catered to Vandy, not any other team. When we play the Brazilian national basketball team then you can talk about the what ifs. Next game it's A&m, CHW will develope a scheme for playing them, not Notre Dame or scarolina, nor uconn.
GLV!

Reactions: 7 people

I don't think that is really fair. She is pleased that her team is hustling and pressing on defense for 40 minutes and is not cracking under pressure. IN her half time interview, she specifically noted that they need to start knocking down shots but as a coach you have to focus on what the players can control, such as effort and intensity.

And seriously, the LVs have not had many stellar offensive nights at Vandy owing to the court configuration and the fact that the refs let Vandy players get away with murder at home. It is hard to score when you are being grabbed, pushed, and poked at every turn.

This teams have come a long way offensively compared to earlier in the season. The ball movement is better, they are moving with a purpose and the guards are improving. Its not the coach's fault when a player is wide open and miss. That's on the player. Get in the gym like Carter and gain confidence with repetition. The team doesn't look confuse like earlier in the season. The sloppy passess and unforced turnovers are on the players. I can finally see that they really practice offense and Holly saying that she really don't care is coach's talk. I can see a difference. We need to just consistently knock down shots.
What team you been watching:question:!

There is no doubt in my mind that a lot of our offensive problems are attributable to the fact that Warlick 1) doesn't care enough about offense; and 2) probably doesn't know enough about coaching offense--I doubt any of our coaches do. Warlick had a telling quote when asked by Vol beat reporter recently about the team's shooting problems: She said that team hadn't focused much on offense and "the players just need to get in the gym in shoot." Yes, that always helps(!)--but good offense is not just about shooting; it's also about your plays and your scheme, and about your /execution/--a lot of which has to do with passing. Watch UConn pass the ball, and then watch us pass it. You will see a big reason why they are much better offensively. Warlick is half-hearted about offense, and that is one reason we have a half-good offense.

Carter and Massengale's play has been encouraging, and so has Burdick's--she was GOOD against Vandy. Those three have to score for us. It is a shame our coaches have never taught Graves how to be a scorer in the paint, because we need her to be able to score around the basket--and I'm not just talking offensive put-backs. Graves is just too slow making moves and getting off shots. Break to a spot, catch the ball, turn and shoot. That is how real scorers score somewhat close to the basket, in traffic--Bernard King was the master: He'd get the ball in the low block, turn and release the ball like THAT--explosive. Graves has improved a bit, is shooting the jumper a little, but we need her to score some inside. Not just get rebounds--score. Problem is, she still holds the ball too long, fumbles the ball too much, is too slow with the ball--and bends over with the ball too much (a real no-no). I would be working on her and Jones's offensive game from 12 feet in CONSTANTLY, because they could help this team so much more offensively than they are--take more pressure off Izzy. But Graves is not a real threat, and Jones tends to play outside (which is strange given that she is not a good dribbler and makes a lot of bad decisions out there). Burdick needs to keep playing well. Until we show opponents that we have forwards who can score, they will continue to double and triple Harrison. That is why Graves's very limited offensive game is an issue.

fwiw, I think I shall stop commenting on the good or bad things that happen during lady vol games until I watch the replay of the games and have calmed down. less mistakes and hysterics that way.

with that said, those fugging refs should be tarred & feathered for letting last nights game become a demolition derby.

burdick will need 6 weeks of therapy after the beating she took just to stop hurting.

They have one. Maybe we need to get Rashaun Davies' mother to put a spell on the team. Think that would be as likely to work as anything:boredom: it is painful to watch...and a lot of the shots look good, they just DON'T go in:eek:hmy:

We can always go to Louisiana and get our MoJo fixed of course if that worked LSU would never lose a game. I will say one thing the ladies do keep us on the edge of our seats.

How can anyone honestly say that this team doesn't look better than the team that loss to UT-Chatt and Texas? My goodness, I get the feeling that some of you hate Holly and is hoping she fail. Even UConn struggled against St. John, who is unranked, Sunday. I must admit I was tough on Holly the beginning of the season, but I do see some improvement from the team and coaching staff. Have anyone heard of coach's talk? Anyone with eyes can see that this team has been practicing offense. They no longer look completely loss, solid ball movement, players are not just standing around, they are cutting to the basket and screening to get open. I saw 1-4 low sets, 5 out motion sets, 4 out 1 in motion sets and 3 out 2 in motion sets. That comes from practicing offense. Holly want opponets to think they don't so opponets will not really gameplan for it. Yes, this team can continually improve, but their defense and intensity is at another level compared to earlier in the season. I guess Duke and South Carolina don't practice offense because that 51-50 victory of SC was a defensive battle and poor shooting by both teams. What about Stanford, which is known for their offense, but has been struggling all year. What about Texas, who is one of the top scoring teams in the country, but struggled badly against Texas A&M. What about Louisville, who was beating UK by double digits and struggled badly when Kentucky turned up the pressue. None of these coaches are criticize and murdered with words the way Holly is. Everyone knows Kentucky basically plays streetball, hardly runs any offenive sets and Matthew Mitchell haven't won anything, but some of you wanted him as a coach. This team is improving and Holly is also, but in some fans eyes she will NEVER be good enough. Holly Warlick is not Geno. Geno was not the Geno he is today when he first start coaching. Can we at least give her time to continue to improve her craft?

Last edited:
Reactions: 6 people
I'm really not to concerned with the bad shooting at that gym. I was proud we hit 36 percent since we couldn't get the ball inside or get to the rim. That place is like a big cave just hard to get shots to fall. We win easily if we don't commit 20 turnovers of which a lot were throwing the ball in bounds. Texas A&M beat them by 14 at home we win by 8 on the road means game coming up with them is about even. The team that shoots the ball best will win.

Last edited:
And seriously, the LVs have not had many stellar offensive nights at Vandy owing to the court configuration and the fact that the refs let Vandy players get away with murder at home. It is hard to score when you are being grabbed, pushed, and poked at every turn.
You are so right.

VN Store

Back