Say what you t aut Holly but. . .

This could help you lose your locker room. :thud:
Well, let's see how the girls respond. :crazy:

GO VOLS!

I never heard her throw her players under the bus like this: Duke Postgame Press Conference: UConn 83, Duke 52 - Duke University Blue Devils | Official Athletics Site - GoDuke.com

Lost whatever respect I had for her!

?????????????????????

What are you taking about. She did not call out players, she said her team was out hustled and that UCONN was just the better team and that was why they had the banners hanging in their ceiling instead of Duke. She was actually pretty calm and reserved in front of the camera.

Are you one of those everybody who participates gets a trophy people? Life is not like that. This coach lost, she and her team got their tails kicked and she gave an honest accessment of the game. She did not sugar coat anything about how poorly her team did. Good for her and I do not see why you have a problem with her. JMO

Reactions: 3 people
I never heard her throw her players under the bus like this: Duke Postgame Press Conference: UConn 83, Duke 52 - Duke University Blue Devils | Official Athletics Site - GoDuke.com

If you don't play up to your potential, you get your butt chewed. Too many are falling for kubaya---give them a trophy----be nice or they will hate you---everyone should have a safety net----don't spank the babies BS. Coddling failure is like our kids who are learning that 2 plus 2 equals 5 or whatever the little darlings think it is. Any outcome is acceptable and praised regardless of how bad or wrong it is.

Bottom line is that I would bet her team performs better in the future.

Reactions: 3 people
In this era of "self esteem", the coach has to make them feel good about losing by 30 points.

In this era of "self esteem", the coach has to make them feel good about losing by 30 points.

Edit Sorry for the double post. Computer problems.

If you remove the boarders who can only write negative (probably about many things other than a women's basketball team) what is the job requirements that individual boarders believe Holly needs to meet. Let me take the most recent game with Oregon State - their coach said "while we would have liked to have won we played hard and weren't intimated by crowd. etc.

1. practice preparation 2 game plan prior to playing 3. decision making during the game (incidentally that is when PHS realized her disease) 4. substitutions during game 5. recruiting 6. hiring of assistants 7. interaction with the media 8. devotion to the University. OR even You know more than she does on 1-8.

The Duke coach seemed to be very disappointed in her team because of the way they played in the second half than literally throwing them under the bus. From my viewpoint of the game I would have to agree with most of the things she said, maybe not to the point saying that the one guard was so open her grandmother could have shot threes. We also have to keep in mind that this is a very young team. They are going to make mistakes and UCONN is the wrong team to make multiple mistakes against. UCONN is like a pack of roaches when you turn on the lights,they are all over the place. They never take time off and their coach never stops coaching and demanding excellence. They rarely lose a shooter. This team reminds me a lot of Pat 's old teams. They are an in your face, I dare you to beat me type team. I see South Carolina developing that same attitude. Both teams seem to display the same characteristics as their coaches. I am also going to give Holly her props for the last two games she has started to be more of an active coach on the sidelines instead of walking up and down with her hands folded. I might be wrong but she appears to be coaching and talking more to players on the floor. She seems to be getting a little more feisty. We just need to find the one or two shooters from mid to long range.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
If you don't play up to your potential, you get your butt chewed. Too many are falling for kubaya---give them a trophy----be nice or they will hate you---everyone should have a safety net----don't spank the babies BS. Coddling failure is like our kids who are learning that 2 plus 2 equals 5 or whatever the little darlings think it is. Any outcome is acceptable and praised regardless of how bad or wrong it is.

Bottom line is that I would bet her team performs better in the future.

I disagree, her TOUGH LOVE has earned Duke 4 losses before January, and before they even start conference play.

Last edited:

Some people have a hard time being told just how it is... I actually have more respect for Coach McCallie because she doesn't ride the fence. She tells it straight up like it is and if you can't take that, you need to look else where. This isn't church league basketball.

Well I have a problem with Macallie when she loses . It is always lack of effort, not following game plan, not executing, .etc. on the part of the players.

it is NEVER any fault of her coaching on the floor or game plan for the game or lack of halftime adjustments. and yes, she throws her players under the bus.

I think Duke loses because McCallie is not a very good coach. She has five star talent at every position and Elizabeth Williams was rated number one or two in her class as a freshman. She has not developed at all still playing the same as when she was a freshman. McCallie can recruit but she cannot win the big games against top five competition.

I think Duke loses because McCallie is not a very good coach. She has five star talent at every position and Elizabeth Williams was rated number one or two in her class as a freshman. She has not developed at all still playing the same as when she was a freshman. McCallie can recruit but she cannot win the big games against top five competition.

We could take them if they would play us. Everyone has dropped their series with us. Are we that scary? :rock:

Elizabeth Williams was rated number one or two in her class as a freshman. She has not developed at all still playing the same as when she was a freshman.

I honestly don't get all of the Elizabeth Williams hate. She may still be playing at the same level as she did as a freshman, but she also was an AA as a freshman and has been consistently good up until now. She came into college ready to play from day one, and while she was never going to be as good as Chiney or Maya Moore, she's had a helluva career so far.

Reactions: 2 people

Your description of McCallie sounds vaguely familiar.

I honestly don't get all of the Elizabeth Williams hate. She may still be playing at the same level as she did as a freshman, but she also was an AA as a freshman and has been consistently good up until now. She came into college ready to play from day one, and while she was never going to be as good as Chiney or Maya Moore, she's had a helluva career so far.

I think she was overrated coming out of high school and that happens a lot in the evaluations of women players. If you go by her lofty ranking 14.3 ppg and 50 percent field goal percentage do not measure up to a number one player. She is certainly not the only player that was overrated coming out of high school. Tennessee and Duke seem to be getting more than their share of the overrated ones or either both teams have coaches that can't develop talent.
Donnie Tyndall has a bunch of two star players that are getting better with every day that passes. In just 12 games this season all these guys have progressed into better players than they were at the start of the season and that includes all the hold overs Richardson, Reese, Hubbs, and Moore. Certainly a player must have talent but ability to develop players to another level is certainly because of the coaching. They don't have it at Duke or on our women's team at Tennessee. Graves was better before coaching and so was Massengale, Carter, and Burdick.

VolFan2012 - I have followed several of your recent posts and the LVs you called out are either overrated, poorly coached or tend to sleepwalk. I hope your holidays were more joyful for you than your perspective toward the women's basketball team.

Reactions: 2 people

VN Store

Back