The Journey continues

CalifLadyVolFan

Graduation Day A Springboard To The Future - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

By Brian Rice
UTSports.com

KNOXVILLE, Tenn. -- Two of Tennessee's most accomplished softball players walked across the stage on Saturday at the University of Tennessee, both taking their degrees before walking into careers in the sport that they love.

Melissa Davin and Madison Shipman joined classmate Ellen Renfroe, who completed her degree in May as alumnae of UT, in finishing the drill academically, just as they did in decorated careers on the field that saw two Women's College World Series appearances and an appearance in the championship series in 2013.

"The most important thing is that they are getting their degrees from the University of Tennessee," co-head coach Karen Weekly said. "Our most important priority when we bring student-athletes to the University of Tennessee is that they graduate and that they graduate with the degree of their choice. I'm really proud of both Melissa and Madison and I'm honored to be there with them to watch them partake in the graduation ceremony."

Both players wore the graduation robe with the "Student Athlete" sash bearing the same Lady Volunteer logo that adorned their playing uniforms. Shipman saw the connection as quite appropriate.

"It's a huge honor, I've been looking forward to this day for the last four and a half years and I'm glad it's finally here," she said. "A lot of hard work, a lot of early morning workouts and a lot of late night studying, but I finally made it."

Neither will stray too far from the playing field with their next step in life. Davin has already accepted a job as the director of softball operations at Fresno State University. Shipman will remain at UT as the volunteer assistant for the Lady Vols this spring.

"It's an honor and a blessed feeling," Davin said of getting her degree and stepping right into the professional world. "I'm excited. Every transition I had to make here, I want to be there for the kids at Fresno State so they know what to do and what not to do and try to help them."

Shipman also has picked up professional experience in softball, winning the Rookie of the Year award this past summer in National Pro Fastpitch, where her USSSA Pride team won the league championship.

"It's really awesome to be able to apply things we learned on the field and in the classroom in the real world," Shipman said. "I think that's the biggest thing with a lot of college kids. They want to use what they've been learning the last four years and apply it to their job. I'm really looking forward to the spring and working with the team out there on the field."

Davin and Shipman join their classmate Renfroe in the coaching ranks as well. Renfroe is in her first year as the volunteer assistant at the University of Memphis.

It is a career path that is a source of pride for the coaching staff at Tennessee.

"I'm excited for their futures," Weekly said. "It's really gratifying for Ralph and I, as their coaches, to see them go on and move on into the professional field and watch them grow. We will always be here to support them in any way they need us."

Attachments

• melissa and madison december 2014.jpg
    melissa and madison december 2014.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 17
Reactions: 9 people
Loved watching these two women play. I hope you and your daughter Melissa have fond memories of your time here even though you have expressed some dissatisfaction in the past. We were proud to have Melissa as a Lady Vol. Good luck to her in her future.

Reactions: 2 people
The OP is her dad TP.....akward

Congrats to both of them

Thanks. Good stuff. Great player and VFL. Man she can play some softball. :yes:

GO VOLS!

What does the Director of Operations do? Is that a coach?

From UT website RE; Patrick Lawson.... Director of operations... it's an off the field administrative position which will give Melissa some valuable administrative experience and a stepping stone into coaching. A team is only allowed so many coaches and on the field graduate assistants.... Fresno State is creating the position for her and will be looking to expand her role going forward.

Patrick Lawson Bio - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Whether at home or on the road, Lawson plays a critical role behind the scenes in the coordination, planning and execution of the Tennessee softball programs's day-to-day activities. In his first season as the director of softball operations, some of his many duties included overseeing home gamedays, coordinating team travel plans and team meals, directing the 2014 Knoxville Regional and supervising the team's managers.

"We are excited about hiring Patrick Lawson as our director of operations," Tennessee co-head coach Ralph Weekly said when Lawson was hired in 2013. "Patrick replaces Lindsay Schutzler Bell, who moved to Texas to be with her husband. Patrick has done an amazing job as the event director for softball the past several years. As part of the University event management staff, he has a thorough knowledge of the athletic department and its procedures. He is an intelligent problem solver who knows how to get things done."

Prior to becoming the director of softball operations, Lawson orchestrated UT softball regular-season and postseason games as part of Tennessee's event management staff. He has played a major role in producing enjoyable and safe game day experiences at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium and he has been vital to behind-the-scenes coordination for Tennessee's appearances in the SEC Tournament, the NCAA Regionals, the NCAA Super Regionals and the Women's College World Series.

Attachments

• MelissaFirstPitch3.jpg
    MelissaFirstPitch3.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 0
Reactions: 1 person
From UT website RE; Patrick Lawson.... Director of operations... it's an off the field administrative position which will give Melissa some valuable administrative experience and a stepping stone into coaching. A team is only allowed so many coaches and on the field graduate assistants.... Fresno State is creating the position for her and will be looking to expand her role going forward.

Patrick Lawson Bio - UTSPORTS.COM - University of Tennessee Athletics

Whether at home or on the road, Lawson plays a critical role behind the scenes in the coordination, planning and execution of the Tennessee softball programs's day-to-day activities. In his first season as the director of softball operations, some of his many duties included overseeing home gamedays, coordinating team travel plans and team meals, directing the 2014 Knoxville Regional and supervising the team's managers.

"We are excited about hiring Patrick Lawson as our director of operations," Tennessee co-head coach Ralph Weekly said when Lawson was hired in 2013. "Patrick replaces Lindsay Schutzler Bell, who moved to Texas to be with her husband. Patrick has done an amazing job as the event director for softball the past several years. As part of the University event management staff, he has a thorough knowledge of the athletic department and its procedures. He is an intelligent problem solver who knows how to get things done."

Prior to becoming the director of softball operations, Lawson orchestrated UT softball regular-season and postseason games as part of Tennessee's event management staff. He has played a major role in producing enjoyable and safe game day experiences at Sherri Parker Lee Stadium and he has been vital to behind-the-scenes coordination for Tennessee's appearances in the SEC Tournament, the NCAA Regionals, the NCAA Super Regionals and the Women's College World Series.

Good for her. Nice job.

We will go to Palm Springs and watch the Lady Vols play when they come out to California... and I will watch them online at the office.... but it's not going to be the same...:ermm:

Dad, for the next couple of years it is still good because you know some of the athletes that were friends of Mel. After they are all gone it really gets different. After years I still miss going to see my daughter play. I do enjoy parent's post like yours over the past few years as I can see your point of view and enjoyed your insight very much. Because of your post I was a big fan of Mel's.
Best wishes on your adjustment!

Melissa Davin enters her first season as the `Dogs Director of Operations under head softball coach Trisha Ford.

Before coming to Fresno State, Davin served as an outfielder for the University of Tennessee where she majored in sociology. The lady Vols ended the 2014 season with an overall record of 45-12, and advanced to the Super Regionals in Norman, Okla. where they fell just one win short of Tennessee's seventh trip to the Women's College World Series. Appearing in every game last season, Davin was named to the NFCA All-Southeast Region Second Team and First Team All-SEC.

The Fresno native was a four-year varsity letter at Clovis East High School where she broke several offensive records under the direction of coach Meagan Simmons.

After her softball career in Tennessee, Davin chose to return home and work for the Fresno State softball program where she can spend time with her parents Michael and Shari Davin, and her older brother Matt.

Melissa Davin Bio - Fresno State Official Athletic Site

Reactions: 2 people
Melissa Davin enters her first season as the `Dogs Director of Operations under head softball coach Trisha Ford.

Before coming to Fresno State, Davin served as an outfielder for the University of Tennessee where she majored in sociology. The lady Vols ended the 2014 season with an overall record of 45-12, and advanced to the Super Regionals in Norman, Okla. where they fell just one win short of Tennessee's seventh trip to the Women's College World Series. Appearing in every game last season, Davin was named to the NFCA All-Southeast Region Second Team and First Team All-SEC.

The Fresno native was a four-year varsity letter at Clovis East High School where she broke several offensive records under the direction of coach Meagan Simmons.

After her softball career in Tennessee, Davin chose to return home and work for the Fresno State softball program where she can spend time with her parents Michael and Shari Davin, and her older brother Matt.

Melissa Davin Bio - Fresno State Official Athletic Site

Thanks for the update. We are proud of all our Lady Vols, and she's one that we can really brag about.

VN Store

Back