Holly's pre-game speech

Smallvol#1

MarchMatters
Watching the play back and heard Holly tell the team to be proud, tradition, and what they were wearing. Something like 'you are the only ones wearing it and damn if they take it from us'. That is NOT an exact quote; I'm still watching the game and don't want to quit it now:)

But listen to her if you have it recorded. If you don't and want an exact quote post that request and I'll go back and get it . Hart may not think it's a big deal, but there are a lot of LADY Vols and their fans that do.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Watching the play back and heard Hooly tell the team to be proud, tradition, and what they were wearing. Something like 'you are the only ones wearing it and damn if they take it from us'. That is NOT an exact quote; I'm still watching the game and don't want to quit it now:)

But listen to her if you have it recorded. If you don't and want an exact quote post that request and I'll go back and get it . Hart may not think it's a big deal, but there are a lot of LADY Vols and their fans that do.

Yesterday Holly seemed to be more into the game than I have seen before. She seemed more connected to the players as she encouraged them as they left the floor.

Sorry it took so long. Just got back from church.

"Bring your best; bring your best, and represent what's on your chest - Lady Vols. You know what, we're the only team that may be wearing it, but they damn sure ain't going to take it away from us. Now you go represent what's on your shirt. All right, all right; let's go."

Holly Warlick before Stanford tip off.

Reactions: 1 person
Ignorant to worry about a four letter word on a uniform. We all know they're ladies. No one needs a female soccer or volleyball player to have "lady" on their uniform in order to realize they are indeed females.

It's just like anything else these days. People just want something to b**ch about or be offended by.

Hey, if Warlick wants to use it as a motivation, try it--but better coaching will do a lot more for the Tennessee program than names.

How much longer is the crying going to continue, women want equality so they take the lady out of vols and just call all sports teams vols. Here women wanted to go to VMI so they let women go to VMI, but when Randolph Macon(all girls school) went to coed holy hell you thought the world was coming to an end. Point being don't ***** about wanting equality then ***** when you get it.

Although I wasn't all that "moved" or "inspired" by Holly's pre-game speech, I will say it was better sounding than her court-side bantering and cheerleading (which people watching the game on TV got to listen to as she was "miked up"). I am still waiting to her Holly discuss the game of basketball in an intelligent manner. Meaning, no head-shaking with multiple "umms" and generalities describing her team's effort (or lack there of).

Last edited:
The irony of this quote is that the writer was to use what he ( I predict) was accusing the writer of - "bitXXing.

"Ignorant to worry about a four letter word on a uniform. We all know they're ladies. No one needs a female soccer or volleyball player to have "lady" on their uniform in order to realize they are indeed females."
It's just like anything else these days. People just want something to b**ch about or be offended by.

The irony of this quote is that the writer was to use what he ( I predict) was accusing the writer of - "bitXXing.

"Ignorant to worry about a four letter word on a uniform. We all know they're ladies. No one needs a female soccer or volleyball player to have "lady" on their uniform in order to realize they are indeed females."
Lady Vols stands for more than just designating them being female.

Reactions: 2 people
Holly needs to motivate them every game and ask them where they should be come the end of March/early April. Maybe that will motivate them to play their best and make it to the finals!

Have I missed some sort of culturally insensative lovefest related to the term "LADY" Vols on our unis? Are we the only team still using "lady" in the name? Sorry to be out of the loop here, so just wunderin'.:unsure:

Then the women's program needs to break off from UTK and start their own University. The sports programs would survive two months before funding ran out, get on board or get out the change isn't that big of a freaking deal.

Then the women's program needs to break off from UTK and start their own University. The sports programs would survive two months before funding ran out, get on board or get out the change isn't that big of a freaking deal.
Stupid statement and you clearly have no idea what Lady Vols stand for.

Reactions: 4 people

Like what?

The basketball team kept it due to "tradition" and that's fine. What have the other womens' teams really done to command all this attention and concern? And how is adding "lady" improving them as athletes? Or somehow adding to their non-existent tradition?

I guess the softball team has been pretty good, but no national championships.

I think it's one of the most ignorant "debates" I've ever been involved in. Very pointless.

Like what?

The basketball team kept it due to "tradition" and that's fine. What have the other womens' teams really done to command all this attention and concern? And how is adding "lady" improving them as athletes? Or somehow adding to their non-existent tradition?

I think it's one of the most ignorant "debates" I've ever been involved in. Very pointless.
If it's so ignorant and pointless, why do you bother? There must be some issue you have that makes you respond as you say "to pointless and ignorant debates" about women's sports.

Like what?

Great idea! Take your own advice and leave the "debate". As previously stated you do not understand the concept and apparently are unwilling to learn. Bye:clapping:

Please tell us what it means? Because to me all it means is womens athletic programs dont want to associate with the rest of the athletic programs. Which if that is the case then fund your own sports.

That is not what it means; if it was, I would be on your side. I copied a response from an earlier post below. And for the record - for some of you who claim the other teams have not earned the right to keep the name because only the basketball team has a national championship: they EARNED the right by hard work, representing the university, giving their best for their sport. If only being the very best in the nation is the only thing that counts, then some (MOST) of you would be considered worthless and unimportant...after all if you aren't the very top, then hard work, effort, ability, honor, etc. must mean nothing.

Originally Posted by BowlBrother85
I don't agree with it being sexist but it is a very old and southern tradition. I guess I'm surprised how much people seem to care about this? Is it really that big a deal?

Response:
Sort of think of it in reverse. For a woman to be equal to a man; she does not have to BE a man. Work on that long enough and one could conclude that requiring the Lady Vols to be Vols is what is sexist...like requiring a woman to be a man to be equal.
Lady Vols is a name the women at UT chose for themselves and earned. DNA makes a woman; character and class make a lady.
If the teams choose not to be called Lady Vols, I have no trouble with that decision. Obviously, in at least some areas, it is felt important to be known as a Lady Vol, or the basketball team would not have been 'allowed' to keep the name. What I have trouble with is some johhny come lately athletic directer, with no UT background, arbitrarily forcing that decision on numerous current athletes - as well as on previous athletes from the Lady Vol program.

That is not what it means; if it was, I would be on your side. I copied a response from an earlier post below. And for the record - for some of you who claim the other teams have not earned the right to keep the name because only the basketball team has a national championship: they EARNED the right by hard work, representing the university, giving their best for their sport. If only being the very best in the nation is the only thing that counts, then some (MOST) of you would be considered worthless and unimportant...after all if you aren't the very top, then hard work, effort, ability, honor, etc. must mean nothing.

Originally Posted by BowlBrother85
I don't agree with it being sexist but it is a very old and southern tradition. I guess I'm surprised how much people seem to care about this? Is it really that big a deal?

Response:
Sort of think of it in reverse. For a woman to be equal to a man; she does not have to BE a man. Work on that long enough and one could conclude that requiring the Lady Vols to be Vols is what is sexist...like requiring a woman to be a man to be equal.
Lady Vols is a name the women at UT chose for themselves and earned. DNA makes a woman; character and class make a lady.
If the teams choose not to be called Lady Vols, I have no trouble with that decision. Obviously, in at least some areas, it is felt important to be known as a Lady Vol, or the basketball team would not have been 'allowed' to keep the name. What I have trouble with is some johhny come lately athletic directer, with no UT background, arbitrarily forcing that decision on numerous current athletes - as well as on previous athletes from the Lady Vol program.
I believe it was either deerpark or skeeter both whom are very connected to the athletic department have said on multiple occasions that women's players were very much for the change. The only complaints I've really seen are from the conspiracy theorist who think Dave Hart is out to shut down women's athletics.

VN Store

Back