The problem with the Lady Vols

hatingbamaisawayoflife

No one fears the Lady Vols anymore...... gone are the glory days of being the most feared program in the country... lets face it that's UConn now..
also people fear ND, Duke, UNC even Stanford more than the Lady Vols.

People used to fear the stare of Pat Summit, they feared the mighty offensive rebounding teams we had and many great defensive teams......
the girls that played here feared letting Pat down much less making her mad... that fear is gone.
Holly simply is not feared, and the team is not feared.
I love my Lady Vols but this is unfortunately a fact and has been for a few years.

Reactions: 4 people
no the problem is the COACH. we still get highly ranked players that everyone is after she just ca't develop them. imo

Reactions: 5 people
while I wont agree or disagree about the coach I will say that the fear factor worked for Tennessee a lot in the 80s and 90s...
The fear factor has been gone for a while.....
The fear factor is a much bigger deal than I believe anyone gives it credit for..... talent wins but I have taken some much less talented girls and beat bigger talent...albeit this was high school.... people feared our team due to our intensity and defense.... I worked quite a few of CPS camps over the years and learned a lot from a great coach... I know Holly learned a billion times more that I did from her and Holly knows the game....

Need fear factor. and a TEAM

Reactions: 1 person
It's not about "fear," per se. It's about playing good basketball consistently, winning games--and opponents knowing before the whistle starts that they are going to be beaten. If teams don't fear UT now, it's because they know we don't play good basketball and therefore have a good chance of winning.

I will tell you this, we do have fear:
Fear stifles thinking and actions. It creates indecisiveness that results in stagnation.
Fear hinders us from becoming productive by creating negative emotions, and it creates a lack of self-confidence. We have fear as a team.

I currently feel like we are watching the Georgia team of the late 80's early 90's. Remember when they started their decline. A top ten team. To a mid range top 25 team. To a bottom top 25 team. To irrelevant. And like most of you I feel like without a change this team will be irrelevant in another 10 years.

But let's say this team peaks and makes an elite 8 run at best. Next years team could be real good. As the freshmen mature. Hopefully Mercedes Russell comes back 100%. And hopefully we land a couple really good post players. But let's say we make a final four run. Does that change everyone's view of Holly????

This team is as good defensively as almost any under Pat. 2 times they've allowed over 60 points. Both losses. The offense isn't there, but I guarantee teams don't come in expecting to score a lot on this squad.

The 99 squad went 33-4 averaging giving up 63.1ppg. They were much better offensively, however. If this team picks it up on the offensive side, they can do very very well.

No, Holly isn't Pat, but, legends don't grow on trees. If a school is very lucky they may have one Pat in school history. IMO Holly is trying to play everybody and let them sort out who earns the right to play and find their role on the team. It also gives valuable experience to the players throughout the season. Holly is in a precarious situation right now with all the talent she has and trying to find the right "team" chemistry. Holly will win with this team. Even Pat needed a little time to get things rolling. :yes:
I'd like to see no. 33 play some more before the Globetrotters sign her. :)

GO VOLS!

Identify you shooters and get them shots. Don't let people take shots that cannot shoot a good percentage. You can easily look at the stats and see who they are.
Holly is starting two non shooters at guard and a streak shooter at the three. So if I'm playing the Lady Vols I clog up the paint with four players and say shoot it . When you have 30 percent shooters in the game they are going to make 3 of ten shots that is great defense.

No one fears the Lady Vols anymore...... gone are the glory days of being the most feared program in the country... lets face it that's UConn now..
also people fear ND, Duke, UNC even Stanford more than the Lady Vols.

People used to fear the stare of Pat Summit, they feared the mighty offensive rebounding teams we had and many great defensive teams......
the girls that played here feared letting Pat down much less making her mad... that fear is gone.
Holly simply is not feared, and the team is not feared.
I love my Lady Vols but this is unfortunately a fact and has been for a few years.

I said that two years ago, same applies to football too. :yes: :yes:

Yes, she reportedly had a bunch of other job offers, incl head coaching positions. Maybe someone else here knows the details.

Holly interviewed for head coaching jobs at a few schools. I think one was South Carolina who hired Staley. She has never been offered a head coaching job other than when she got the Tennessee job.

while I wont agree or disagree about the coach I will say that the fear factor worked for Tennessee a lot in the 80s and 90s...
The fear factor has been gone for a while.....
The fear factor is a much bigger deal than I believe anyone gives it credit for..... talent wins but I have taken some much less talented girls and beat bigger talent...albeit this was high school.... people feared our team due to our intensity and defense.... I worked quite a few of CPS camps over the years and learned a lot from a great coach... I know Holly learned a billion times more that I did from her and Holly knows the game....

Need fear factor. and a TEAM[/

A lot of Assistants, with some exception, coached else where and achieved success before they returned home. I think it would have been best for, Holly to cut her head coaching teeth at a mid-major, D2 or lower D1,program. Replacing a legend at a powerhouse is a ton of weight to withstand. Holly is leaning on the job. Pat is always in the shadow and Holly has to constantly prove herself. At this very moment she is in hot water up to her neck. Without the nay sayers, she is under tremendous pressure to succeed. The team just not playing as good as they did last year.

Reactions: 2 people
no the problem is the COACH. we still get highly ranked players that everyone is after she just ca't develop them. imo

Yes I think this is very true..... Chattanooga and Wichita State do not have CLOSE to the players we have, yet they were showing us how it is done..... Rutgers did not have anyone ranked as high as Carter, Massengale, Burdick..... yet many thought they were the favorite..... Stanford ..... the same as Rutgers..... with no Ogwimukes...... they are not a superstar team anymore......

So many things need to change..... not the least of which is to develop a cogent plan for the offense...... but the burden of getting this team to hum falls squarely on the coaching staff...... we have recruited very well, Holly included..... yet we are not developing these players!!!! At the post game pressers, Holly continually brings up the points of improvement that she and the staff should have a firm grasp of.....

"we didn't have energy ..... we have to show more" Pat would have demanded this..... "we played scared" that is a preparation thing..... "they don't want to get in the proper defensive stance"..... why do the coaches tolerate players who do not do as they instruct?

I would really like to attend a practice..... because there are so many holes, I do not know what they are teaching..... Holly has said she does not focus on the offense..... which is evident..... even the defense ..... though much better than the offense ...... needs all hands on deck..... if someone cannot play or is not willing to play defense they shouldn't be out there.....

Many things to correct, but I would like to see improvement on offense to start..... people said how wonderful Meighan was..... but she didn't play within the team context..... and when I mention this to MS fans, they said that she was the only one with the guts to create, and find space for herself..... and that example goes back to a coaching issue.... we had only one effective offensive player? We put 5 on the floor and we need contribution from all of them!!!

Part of what made made Pat great was her sheer will, the stare being part of that..... would not accept less than full effort...... would not accept defeat..... I do not see that from this coaching staff, though I hope it changes.

This team is as good defensively as almost any under Pat. 2 times they've allowed over 60 points. Both losses. The offense isn't there, but I guarantee teams don't come in expecting to score a lot on this squad.

The 99 squad went 33-4 averaging giving up 63.1ppg. They were much better offensively, however. If this team picks it up on the offensive side, they can do very very well.

The defensive numbers this season are skewed because they have played more early season cupcakes than usual... which makes the dismal offensive numbers all the more alarming.

Rutgers did not have anyone ranked as high as Carter, Massengale, Burdick..... yet many thought they were the favorite.....

Rachel Hollivay - #9 in her class

Kahleah Cooper - #17 in her class, 2012 McD AA

Tyler Scaife - #9 in her class, 2012 McD AA, MVP of 2012 WBCA AA game

Briona Canty - #6 in her class, 2011 McD AA

Betnijah Laney - #11 in her class, 2011 McD AA

You can quibble about #3 or #9 and how meaningful the difference is, but they were all rated 5 star recruits. RU had a team roster full of HS AAs.

Reactions: 3 people
Rachel Hollivay - #9 in her class

Kahleah Cooper - #17 in her class, 2012 McD AA

Tyler Scaife - #9 in her class, 2012 McD AA, MVP of 2012 WBCA AA game

Briona Canty - #6 in her class, 2011 McD AA

Betnijah Laney - #11 in her class, 2011 McD AA

You can quibble about #3 or #9 and how meaningful the difference is, but they were all rated 5 star recruits. RU had a team roster full of HS AAs.

OK I will not quibble and will gladly sacrifice my point..... I just think that there must be a reason why Massengale, Carter, Burdick, Glory Johnson, Stricklen..... all top 5 rated... are ranked that high.....

we should have at least threatened to make a final 4 with them in last 5 yrs..... i hope this yr is the year

OK I will not quibble and will gladly sacrifice my point..... I just think that there must be a reason why Massengale, Carter, Burdick, Glory Johnson, Stricklen..... all top 5 rated... are ranked that high.....

we should have at least threatened to make a final 4 with them in last 5 yrs..... i hope this yr is the year

Carter wasn't top 5 rated. She was #21 in HoopGurlz.

Do the Lady Vols go after Tyler or the current ex-Lady Vol at North Carolina or someone else?:question:

Last edited:
I miss the days when Pat would allow cameras in the halftime locker room and watch the talks she would give. Well, I wouldn't call them "talks". The stares and the demand in her voice got those players playing. I truly wonder what our locker room is like at halftime. Nobody knows and I don't want any assumptions, but it would be nice to see what is the atmosphere like.

Do the Lady Vols go after Tyler or the current ex-Lady Vol at North Carolina or someone else?:question:

If you're talking about Kellie Jolly-Harper...no. She got fired from NC State with a 70-64 record.

VN Store

Back