"In practice, we spend 70% on defense and 30% on offense

teacherdean

News flash to Holly, time to spend a little more time on offense, 27.5% speaks for itself.

At one point, JJ was 4 or 6 and the rest of the team was 1 of 22.........

I was watching the guys play Butler as well, so i didn't see everything, but either our shooting or shot selection........... SUCKED!!

Lucky to come out with a win with those stats.

Also said she wanted the team stay in man the second half and the "players" decided to go to zone on their own.

Jesus H. Christ, did she not win the game?

Defense won this game for her. Better to win ugly than to lose pretty.

AMB take a powder, the win was great, but you have to admit that we need to work on our offense. Am I happy with the win, of course I am, but we need to work on offense. I loved the defense but shooting as we have against Texas and Rutgers will not get us to final four land. By the way Jesus is a better coach than any of us. Not complaining just saying what needs to be considered.

Also said she wanted the team stay in man the second half and the "players" decided to go to zone on their own.

The players are now telling the coaches where they need to play? That is interesting. Can you recall Pat or any other top 10 coach making such a statement, just asking. Hopefully the players decide to work on shooting in practice and figure out offensive plays, if they are now driving the bus.

Reactions: 1 person
AMB take a powder, the win was great, but you have to admit that we need to work on our offense. Am I happy with the win, of course I am, but we need to work on offense. I loved the defense but shooting as we have against Texas and Rutgers will not get us to final four land. By the way Jesus is a better coach than any of us. Not complaining just saying what needs to be considered.

I need to take a powder? I think not. You're the one on one hand saying to give Holly a break, and then you start your millionth post *****ing about her coaching.

Yes, they need to work on offense. Izzy is clearly still working herself back into form, so I'm not going to obsess that she missed some shots she would have made with one eye closed last year. Barring another injury, she'll have time to shake off the rust before SEC play begins. Right now, their offense struggles because the starting guards are offensive liabilities. They ran some good plays and got open looks, but the players couldn't make the shot. That's not coaching, that's on the players.

And for the record, I'm not sold on Jesus' credentials as a basketball coach.

Seriously??? Here I was about to give Holly credit for actually making a good coaching adjustment.... and it was made by the players.

The players are now telling the coaches where they need to play? That is interesting. Can you recall Pat or any other top 10 coach making such a statement, just asking. Hopefully the players decide to work on shooting in practice and figure out offensive plays, if they are now driving the bus.

Yes, Parker and that group did this many times to Pat concerning what defense they were running.

Reactions: 3 people
There was nothing new about this horrid offensive performance. UT has been playing this way offensively for 10 years. Every time we play a respectable opponent, you can expect terrible shooting, terrible passing, terrible decision-making with the ball. This is our MO. It was PS's MO. If Warlick really wants to improve the defense, she should kick Massengale in the backside and tell her to get lower and get serious about playing defense--she is lazy on D.

News flash to Holly, time to spend a little more time on offense, 27.5% speaks for itself.

The coaches can practice offense with the players until the coaches turn blue. The players are the ones though who have to practice shooting the ball and then make the baskets during the game.

Reactions: 3 people
I need to take a powder? I think not. You're the one on one hand saying to give Holly a break, and then you start your millionth post *****ing about her coaching.

Yes, they need to work on offense. Izzy is clearly still working herself back into form, so I'm not going to obsess that she missed some shots she would have made with one eye closed last year. Barring another injury, she'll have time to shake off the rust before SEC play begins. Right now, their offense struggles because the starting guards are offensive liabilities. They ran some good plays and got open looks, but the players couldn't make the shot. That's not coaching, that's on the players.
And for the record, I'm not sold on Jesus' credentials as a basketball coach.

For one thing I never said she was a good coach. I just do not accept that, even the best needs improving. No matter what you think the offense needs to improve. Now if that gets your underwear in a knot then so be it. I really could care less of what you think of my posting. I give her credit for a great defensive game but 27.5% shooting is an issue. For the second time during an interview I have heard Holly defend poor shooting on lack of practicing shooting, then quit making excuses and practice shooting. Holly did not say the players could not shoot but the low percentage is due in part to lack of practice. Tell me genius, who controls the practices, the coach or the players?

The coaches can practice offense with the players until the coaches turn blue. The players are the ones though who have to practice shooting the ball and then make the baskets during the game.

While I agree with you somewhat, it appears that our players need someone to look at their shooting techniques and see if they can find a flaw. A lot of young players shoot with an improper arc on the ball, some short arm the ball or have body issues which affect the flight of the ball. Are they shooting out of control, are they shooting off the palms of their hands instead of shooting the ball off their fingers (the goose neck)etc.? If the coaches have done their observations and we just have a bunch of bad shooters, I don't know much we can do but pray. We just have to play lights out defense.

Sounds like she's building a solid defensive team, a competitive team that was good defensive performance, help defense was good and we were contesting a lot shots.

I love this game, we looked like lady vols, defense and rebounding win championships.

Our guard play 1 and 2 is horrible, if we can get an aggressive one or two guard, we will be an elite team.

Holly, guard play, defense and rebounding win championship. Reynolds, Carter, Ariel and Middleton have to play better in order for us to win big games, but if we play with that defensive intensity and rebound the basketball, we should be in most games.

Jasmine Jones how about that always come ready to play in the big games minus the t.o, once she cleans that up, she'll be fine, still disappointed with Burdick getting 27 minute, to me she's an average player at best.

Nice win ladies, I'll take it, man that looked like lady vols reminded of the 2007 semi game versus UNC, or Lsu, gotta get stops.

The lady vols have more than enough talent to cruise through games like this.. The coaching is terrible.

A win, on the road against Rutgers, is a good win. We played with energy and focus, at least on the defensive end. I was concerned about this game but down the stretch they did what was needed to be done in order to win the game.
I was very surprised to hear Holly say that the players decided to play zone defense in the second half after she called for man to man. (You can hear this in the post game presser. Start it at the 5 minute mark) It makes me wonder what other aspects of the game can be decided by the players rather than the coach.
Still, a 10 point win against a top 20 team on the road is very encouraging and hopefully a sign that we are headed in the right direction. Next step, consistency. Let's do it again.
All in all, I'll take it.

A win, on the road against Rutgers, is a good win. We played with energy and focus, at least on the defensive end. I was concerned about this game but down the stretch they did what was needed to be done in order to win the game.
I was very surprised to hear Holly say that the players decided to play zone defense in the second half after she called for man to man. (You can hear this in the post game presser. Start it at the 5 minute mark) It makes me wonder what other aspects of the game can be decided by the players rather than the coach. Still, a 10 point win against a top 20 team on the road is very encouraging and hopefully a sign that we are headed in the right direction. Next step, consistency. Let's do it again.
All in all, I'll take it.

Giving the players a little leeway could be a good thing? Maybe so.

I think with this team you have to get your defense to as great a point as you can. I think we only have a couple of players that have any offensive ability on this team. I haven't seen Jannah yet hopefully she has something to offer on offense.

VN Store

Back