We Need To Give Holly A Break

teacherdean

I am one of the biggest Holly bashers, the game was not pretty but they got it done against a very good team. They hustled and played like they wanted to play. I am not ready to crown them with an NCAA Championship, but let's give them credit the Ladies looked good.

Reactions: 9 people
I agree. It's like people are making excuses for why this wasn't a good win. "Rutgers offense sucks. Blah blah blah." Yet, they put up 93 points against #6 UNC.

It's not a National Championship, but it's a road win against a good team. It's it so hard to just say, "Good job, Holly."?

Reactions: 2 people
That was a carbon copy of every game we've played against Rutgers for 20 years. Both teams fairly tough defensively and inept offensively. Rutgers is the only big-name program that has had a worse offense than ours--consistently-- over the years--and you saw it today. One player scored about 2/3 of their 45 points. We will not beat good teams or be a serious contender with this crappy, clear out and someone goes one v. one offense, I can tell you that--28 percent shooting. But this team needed a shot of confidence, badly, and so maybe the Vols can build on this win.

Rutgers is the only big-name program that has had a worse offense than ours--consistently-- over the years--and you saw it today.

I don't know what game you were watching, but what I watched was a very solid team defensive effort that forced RU into tough shots.

I don't know what game you were watching, but what I watched was a very solid team defensive effort that forced RU into tough shots.

If the Lady Vols played UConn for the national championship and won, old perfection, itself, armchair, would find something to gripe about. Didn't you know he walks on water?

Reactions: 4 people
images
Great job by coaches and players! Izzy is truly a Warrior Princess!!!

Last edited:
They worked hard. They won against a tough opponent. They get great reinforcements to add to the roster next season. Holly gets the shot to make it happen.

Head coaching record
Overall 60–14 (.811)

that is a terrible record for sure ,I'm not sure if that includes this year or not

Reactions: 1 person
I would like to find a shooter among the ladies, a real outside/inside threat. Right now that is missing. I hope Jannah is ready real soon because we need to find a consistent outside shooter. Also, right now it appears that Izzy is the motor that makes the machine run. I saw Moore and she just did not seem as demonstrative as she seemed against the Cupcakes. There is nothing but a lot of parity left for the ladies, they must bring their A game every night.

I'll give her a break when the LadyVols go to the Final Four

Dave I didn't mean a lifetime break, but give the devil his due, today they never threw up the white flag. Holly has to identify a shooter from the outside. Shot selection was awful, especially the first half. It is a good chance that a good outside shooting team may have beaten the ladies into a coma. They did play hard today and hustled their butts off, however, one game does not a season make.

Dave I didn't mean a lifetime break, but give the devil his due, today they never threw up the white flag. Holly has to identify a shooter from the outside. Shot selection was awful, especially the first half. It is a good chance that a good outside shooting team may have beaten the ladies into a coma. They did play hard today and hustled their butts off, however, one game does not a season make.

I don't mean a lifetime break,i mean a break this season. Tennessee should have a program where the LadyVols go to the Final Four every season.

I complained a lot during the Lipscomb game, as they looked totally bored and indifferent, but they definitely played with more hustle at the end of today's game. This was a good win. The zone switch saved the day. They earned a solid W for the effort at the end. Still, I hope they improve from this. There's a lot of space between a win like this and playing a great team in a regional. A lot of room to improve offensively. Like, a whole apartment building of rooms for them to improve. I believe they can do it, too -- but they have a lot of work to get there. Here's hoping.

I'm an old lady vol fan from the days of their first final four. If my memory is right, I turned on the tv on a Sunday afternoon searching and turned up the lady vols playing Cheryl Miller and USC in the national championship game. Been a lady vol since. As far games go, Pat always had the games like Texas. That when she did her best coaching which is to build off a loss and learn from it. Looks like Holly has done this with the lady vols playing on the road in a tough environment playing good defense which they didn't do against Texas! :clapping:

Reactions: 3 people

It's a true statement RU since I can remember has never lit it up from the outside so even tho it looked like the defense was better in this game, They still could not stop Scaife in transition or one-on-one. So couple that with a team that has a top scorer and overall good shooting percentage.(which is why we should have played more zone)

All in all the team needed this win to see good things happens if you play for 40 minutes which i think we did.

After today I say we are going to need Jones to contribute like this week to week solid for the most.

Would have liked to see Alexis more??

It's a true statement RU since I can remember has never lit it up from the outside so even tho it looked like the defense was better in this game, They still could not stop Scaife in transition or one-on-one. So couple that with a team that has a top scorer and overall good shooting percentage.(which is why we should have played more zone)

Rutgers is not a one-woman show. Scaife isn't even their best player; Betnijah Laney has been their leading scorer/rebounder this season, and Tennessee shut her down. They also held Kahleah Cooper, who averages 15 pts/game to less than half of that.

Tennessee's defense shut down 2 of RUs big three, leaving Scaife to go one-on-one for most of the game. The fact that Tennessee couldn't stop her is irrelevant; they shut down the rest of the team.

Reactions: 6 people
Rutgers is not a one-woman show. Scaife isn't even their best player; Betnijah Laney has been their leading scorer/rebounder this season, and Tennessee shut her down. They also held Kahleah Cooper, who averages 15 pts/game to less than half of that.

Tennessee's defense shut down 2 of RUs big three, leaving Scaife to go one-on-one for most of the game. The fact that Tennessee couldn't stop her is irrelevant; they shut down the rest of the team.
The rest of the team is self check as it was clear when we went into the zone? You don't think so??

How did we start her tell me??
The girl played hurt not to hard to stop someone not looking for a shot, it's not like we were denying her the ball she could have received if she wanted the ball.

Cooper if you watched got good looks she just could not finish, she is more known for her defense and transition game most of her points come from layups, which is why I say RU does not shoot a overall shot percentage.(Now put someone in her shoes that is a real scoring threat thats 15-20 pts in the book for her)

Everybody in the gym know Scaife is the real scoring threat on that team that can beat you and just a Sophomore, me i would prefer the ball in Cooper or Laney hands than Scaife??

Bottom line this was a good improvement for our defense, but it is going to take a better awareness of who has the hot hand on the opposition and not let that one player go off on us if we are to go far in March?

The improved defense is nice--but when is Warlick going to acknowledge--and try to fix, I don't think she can do it--the hot mess that is this offense? I think the answer is never, since UT's offense has essentially looked like crap for, oh, ten years or so. Anybody who thinks you can play this bad offensively--18 percent shooting in the first half-- and get to the final four--or win a national title--is delusional. Warlick thinks letting Jones go 1v.1 is a good offense: she did score some baskets, she's got size, but she's not a good ball handler, and she had 6 turnovers (0 assists). It is just unbelievable that a team with a bench full of top high school recruits could be so bad for so many years.

I don't mean a lifetime break,i mean a break this season. Tennessee should have a program where the LadyVols go to the Final Four every season.

I agree we are on the same page. Wichita will be somewhat of a test. They have a quick guard, who at 5'9" leads the team in scoring and rebounding. They are a notch above a cupcake. I watched them beat Kansas, who at the time were 7&0. Now keep in mind Kansas does not look like a top 20 team. We must keep up the hustle and come up with some type of outside game. The only thing I hate about this game is we can possibly win with an inside game, only, based upon our size. This might give Holly the misconception that we are a great inside offensive team when we are not. I would like to see us still try to come up with an inside/outside game. I still believe that Holly is totally committed to an inside game. Of course if we do not have outside shooters, what can we do?

I am also getting tired of supporters talking about help being on the way next year. I want it all this year with what we have. Holly should not be given a pass this year, she should be held accountable. If she can't keep this team in the hunt it is doubtful that next year will be any better, just saying.

Last edited:
The rest of the team is self check as it was clear when we went into the zone? You don't think so??

How did we start her tell me??
The girl played hurt not to hard to stop someone not looking for a shot, it's not like we were denying her the ball she could have received if she wanted the ball.

Cooper if you watched got good looks she just could not finish, she is more known for her defense and transition game most of her points come from layups, which is why I say RU does not shoot a overall shot percentage.(Now put someone in her shoes that is a real scoring threat thats 15-20 pts in the book for her)

Everybody in the gym know Scaife is the real scoring threat on that team that can beat you and just a Sophomore, me i would prefer the ball in Cooper or Laney hands than Scaife??

Bottom line this was a good improvement for our defense, but it is going to take a better awareness of who has the hot hand on the opposition and not let that one player go off on us if we are to go far in March?

It's really easy to look at the box score afterwards and say, "Oh, Laney wasn't the real threat. Tyler is the best player." when going into the game, everyone was worried about Laney.

And again...who cares if one players is able to have a hot game if the rest of the team is shut down. How much do you think that Maryland cared that Simmons scored 30 points against them in the Sweet 16? No, because they took away the easy looks and forced Tennessee to get their points with lower percentage shots.

Scaife took (and made) some high difficulty shots. Better to give that up than try to shut her down and open the lane up for Cooper and Laney to get easy looks. Tennessee clogged the lines and forced RU into settling for jumpers or highly difficult layups in traffic.

VN Store

Back