Future Lady Vols Coach

Orange Maniac

Appalachian American
I can see Tyler being the coach here someday and he almost got his first big win tonight. LaTech was tied with undefeated and #22 MS State with about a minute to go. A costly inbounds turnover did them in even though the attempt at a tying 3 point bucket bounced on the rim 3 times before rolling off. State added a free throw with less than 2 seconds to go to win by four at 81 to 77. It's going to be interesting to see how he develops as a coach.

Reactions: 4 people
I feel he very may be the coach here someday, but I think he'll work his way up. Maybe at another school or two and get more experience, connections, etc before he would come here

Just saying I doubt very much hed be the guy if holly were to get fired anytime soon

I can see Tyler being the coach here someday and he almost got his first big win tonight. LaTech was tied with undefeated and #22 MS State with about a minute to go. A costly inbounds turnover did them in even though the attempt at a tying 3 point bucket bounced on the rim 3 times before rolling off. State added a free throw with less than 2 seconds to go to win by four at 81 to 77. It's going to be interesting to see how he develops as a coach.

From your description it sounds like he doesn't have that killer instinct as a HC. We need a leader who can close out games not win moral victories. Dooley had an empty resume', but top flight pedigree too.

Just sayin' :p

It is going to take Tyler awhile to bring back a program allowed to be reduced to ashes. He seems to be headed in the right direction. We need to remember that Tyler is working with one stars and no stars. Many of us who have been long time supporters of ladies basketball, remember when La Tech was on par with the great Lady Vol programs. To stay in the hunt, teams have to make moves before things reach the crucial stages. Are the Lady Vols potentially in stage one, or more, headed down the road to becoming less than a top ten or worse program? Are the negative prognostic views in line with the viewpoint of chicken little? The reverse is, are the positive prognostic views a blanket of false security? We certainly need to admit that minus all the wins and good Holly has done in her brief tenure, the program, for now, does not seem to be on par with the existing top 5 ladies' programs of today.

Last edited:
I hate to see people recommending personnel moves, but it is a discussion board after all..... whatever happens and whoever is coach in the future...... we need 1. strong defense (if not tenacious, then pressure, pressing scheme).... 2. organized offense (designed to combat the team we are playing) 3. heart .... 4. teamwork (everyone needs to be involved)

So this turned into the Holly sucks thread. :thud:
Nothing like going for the throat. Tyler will never be the head coach here. Does anybody remember laughter? :eek:lol:

GO VOLS!

Reactions: 2 people
Holly will still be head coach in 5+ years. Hart doesn't give a d*** about UT womens basketball and doesn't want to spend the cash to get a quality new coach.

Reactions: 2 people
Do you people not realize how much trouble all of these anti-Holly threads are doing!? If you think recruits, recruiting services, scouts, etc don't read these boards, you are out of your minds! If you were a recruit, and were considering Tennessee, wouldn't you go online to research and see what the fans are like, and what they are saying about the program. I know for a fact that recruiters are trying to steer kids away from Tennessee, and these anti-Holly tirades are NOT helping that.

Regarding Walz, or any other big time coach, they are not leaving to coach at Tennessee. PERIOD! If Holly were to leave, we would be screwed, and I don't mean with just the new coach, the program would be in a huge upheaval. It would make the men's issues seem non-existent.

Reactions: 6 people
Do you people not realize how much trouble all of these anti-Holly threads are doing!? If you think recruits, recruiting services, scouts, etc don't read these boards, you are out of your minds! If you were a recruit, and were considering Tennessee, wouldn't you go online to research and see what the fans are like, and what they are saying about the program. I know for a fact that recruiters are trying to steer kids away from Tennessee, and these anti-Holly tirades are NOT helping that.

Regarding Walz, or any other big time coach, they are not leaving to coach at Tennessee. PERIOD! If Holly were to leave, we would be screwed, and I don't mean with just the new coach, the program would be in a huge upheaval. It would make the men's issues seem non-existent.

The program is slipping under Holly. Tennessee is no longer a power in Women's Basketball,they're just another team that goes to the NCAA's every season. The truth is the truth

The program is slipping under Holly. Tennessee is no longer a power in Women's Basketball,they're just another team that goes to the NCAA's every season. The truth is the truth

Then don't whine and complain when the next coach can't even get to the NCAAs.

I agree with this - the only big time coach in WCBB that I can remember being bought by another big time school was GG moving from Duke to TX. It just does't happen because most schools do not have the money/interest to invest so heavily in WCBB. (And that TX move was a disaster!)
I disagree that there are not good coaches out there that could take over a program like TN and succeed - they are just coaching at mid majors or working as assistants - like Jeff was prior to Louisville.

I agree with this - the only big time coach in WCBB that I can remember being bought by another big time school was GG moving from Duke to TX. It just does't happen because most schools do not have the money/interest to invest so heavily in WCBB. (And that TX move was a disaster!)
I disagree that there are not good coaches out there that could take over a program like TN and succeed - they are just coaching at mid majors or working as assistants - like Jeff was prior to Louisville.

Well, Jeff was the reason that MD won the NC in 2006. It definitely wasn't Brenda's coaching abilities. The only reason she got to the Final Four last year was because of Thomas.

The start of this season has given the opposing teams all the material they need to negative recruit us regardless of what our fans are doing online.

Reactions: 3 people

Not sure how you got this was an anti-Holly thread. I never said the first thing about Holly. I said "future" coach. I fully expect Tyler to be the coach here someday even though some don't think so. It all depends on how much success he has at the point the position is open. I'm glad you know for a fact that recruiters are trying to steer kids away from Tennessee...like this is the first time that ever happened. That's been going on since the seventies. If a team has success, players will go to that team. If a team fails to succeed, top players will look elsewhere. That's the fact.

Not sure how you got this was an anti-Holly thread. I never said the first thing about Holly. I said "future" coach. I fully expect Tyler to be the coach here someday even though some don't think so. It all depends on how much success he has at the point the position is open. I'm glad you know for a fact that recruiters are trying to steer kids away from Tennessee...like this is the first time that ever happened. That's been going on since the seventies. If a team has success, players will go to that team. If a team fails to succeed, top players will look elsewhere. That's the fact.

I know for a fact recruiters are steering them away, and using screenshots from these message boards in doing that. "Why do you want to go to Tennessee, when they don't even like their coaching staff." That's been a big one. It was done to an incoming player for next year. I'm glad she didn't listen to it.

Reactions: 3 people
I know for a fact recruiters are steering them away, and using screenshots from these message boards in doing that. "Why do you want to go to Tennessee, when they don't even like their coaching staff." That's been a big one. It was done to an incoming player for next year. I'm glad she didn't listen to it.
Again. How is that different? It's not like the first time it's ever happened.

Again. How is that different? It's not like the first time it's ever happened.

It's different because Pat had the clout that Holly doesn't yet. Holly is having to work much harder to keep Tennessee in the minds of recruits. So far, she has. However, the more talk about wanting her gone is undermining her ability to get recruits here. All this is doing is helping other schools, while hurting Tennessee now, and in the future.

Be careful what you wish for in terms of a new coach coming in.

Reactions: 1 person

We'd be screwed if Warlick--a bad coach--left? That's an utterly stupid comment, sorry. This program has massive cachet--8 national titles. Compared to UT, Louisville is a small noise at the end of a parade--they've won nothing. The same is true for most other schools. Coaches change jobs, or stay where they are, for lots of reasons, but anybody who doesn't think there'd be huge interest in the UT job by many good coaches is nuts.

And Hart doesn't care about women's basketball? Really? Another stupid comment. Doesn't our women's basketball team make a lot of money, aside from the huge amount of good publicity it has brought the university over the years. Hart would have to be pretty dumb not to care about one of the two best sports programs in the UT's history.

It's different because Pat had the clout that Holly doesn't yet. Holly is having to work much harder to keep Tennessee in the minds of recruits. So far, she has. However, the more talk about wanting her gone is undermining her ability to get recruits here. All this is doing is helping other schools, while hurting Tennessee now, and in the future.

Be careful what you wish for in terms of a new coach coming in.

Winning. Recruits want to play for winning programs. And let me take it the one step farther: They want to play for programs that are winning NOW, or very recently, not a program that won 10 or 15 years ago. When it comes to recruiting, sports is a 'what have you done lately' business. When did we win our last national title--10 years ago? We can't afford to sit around and hope that Warlick will learn to be come a good head coach--not going to happen.

The start of this season has given the opposing teams all the material they need to negative recruit us regardless of what our fans are doing online.

This. If Holly wants to impress recruits, maybe she should worry less about message boards and worry more about beating UTC....

VN Store

Back