An Idea To Fix Our Lady Vols

mlindsay

We all are aware of Holly's lack of coaching ability (XandO wise) and player development and how she has surrounded herself with mainly defensive minded coaches (Lockwood and Law, Elzy was brought here to keep the talent from going to Matthew Mitchell and Kentucky as she was an excellent recruiter for him). Part of the reason we aren't as successful as we want to be isn't just a Holly Warlick issue but a generational issue. Today's generation of players are more concerned with the right now than they are tradition so they attend the schools that can showcase them right now. Our biggest issue in getting recruits who truly come to play for the Lady Vols and one of the issues is because (and this is my opinion) our former stars spend more time on social media or espn than they do back in Knoxville. One reason Geno has had tremendous success is not just because he is a great coach but because his former players return home to assist him (practicing/playing against the girls, being there when new recruits come in, "wouldn't be surprised if they are calling and telling them to attend"). There have been many instances where Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Asjah Jones, Diana Taurasi, (you name it) have returned to Storrs in the summer or fall (prior to the season starting) or on recruiting visits to aide him in his attempt to get the talent there and we have to use our prestigious Alumnae to do the same thing. We need the 3 Miques, Shyra Ely, Tyesha Fluker, Candace Parker, Lawson, Glory Johnson, Nicky Anosike, Hornbuckle, Gwen Jackson, Kelly Cain, Bobbit, Michelle Snow (These are the players I grew up watching wasn't born during the early run). We need to have them return home or be there when players come to visit. I know Candace Parker was the reason Simmons came and Catchings/Holdsclaw was the reason for Candace arriving but those players and their presence at the games and in the gym (during their offseasons) would go a long way to fixing the program. Part of the reason Mulky land the 2 post players for the 2015 class wasn't just solely on her ties to the Brown family and her Louisiana Tech days but it was because those girls admired Brittany Griner. Holly must reach out to these young ladies and invite them in (if she hasn't already done so) and let them share stories and work with the current players and future players to show them The Lady Vols Way!

We all are aware of Holly's lack of coaching ability (XandO wise)

Stop right there! I don't "agree" with this or much else in your post. Please speak for yourself and don't presume about what the rest of us think.

Also check out NCAA regs about using former players to recruit. Former Lady Vols participate to a limited permissable extent in practices & visit the lockerroom at games. They support the team when & where allowed to.

Reactions: 1 person
Of course, you are Assuming that former Lady Vols - I'm sorry I meant Women who play in Vols Uni - would in fact recruit for Holly IF they could. :hi:

We all are aware of Holly's lack of coaching ability (XandO wise) and player development and how she has surrounded herself with mainly defensive minded coaches (Lockwood and Law, Elzy was brought here to keep the talent from going to Matthew Mitchell and Kentucky as she was an excellent recruiter for him). Part of the reason we aren't as successful as we want to be isn't just a Holly Warlick issue but a generational issue. Today's generation of players are more concerned with the right now than they are tradition so they attend the schools that can showcase them right now. Our biggest issue in getting recruits who truly come to play for the Lady Vols and one of the issues is because (and this is my opinion) our former stars spend more time on social media or espn than they do back in Knoxville. One reason Geno has had tremendous success is not just because he is a great coach but because his former players return home to assist him (practicing/playing against the girls, being there when new recruits come in, "wouldn't be surprised if they are calling and telling them to attend"). There have been many instances where Sue Bird, Maya Moore, Asjah Jones, Diana Taurasi, (you name it) have returned to Storrs in the summer or fall (prior to the season starting) or on recruiting visits to aide him in his attempt to get the talent there and we have to use our prestigious Alumnae to do the same thing. We need the 3 Miques, Shyra Ely, Tyesha Fluker, Candace Parker, Lawson, Glory Johnson, Nicky Anosike, Hornbuckle, Gwen Jackson, Kelly Cain, Bobbit, Michelle Snow (These are the players I grew up watching wasn't born during the early run). We need to have them return home or be there when players come to visit. I know Candace Parker was the reason Simmons came and Catchings/Holdsclaw was the reason for Candace arriving but those players and their presence at the games and in the gym (during their offseasons) would go a long way to fixing the program. Part of the reason Mulky land the 2 post players for the 2015 class wasn't just solely on her ties to the Brown family and her Louisiana Tech days but it was because those girls admired Brittany Griner. Holly must reach out to these young ladies and invite them in (if she hasn't already done so) and let them share stories and work with the current players and future players to show them The Lady Vols Way!

I agree that Holly is a weak coach and has no clue what to do when the team isn't playing well in a game. She tightens up sticks with the upperclassmen and they let her down game after game.
I think if she looked at her roster she would see who the passers and scorers are on the team and she could begin a fix by letting them have most of the minutes in big games.
She also needs to understand matchups and try to get the ball out of the best player on the other teams hands. The way a freshmen for Chattanooga scored layups at will was pathetic. They never came up with a plan to get the ball out of her hands or when she had it to trap her and make her give it up.
St Francis best player scored 26 on us hardly goes noticed because they only scored 44 as a team.
I think you will see this season be about 7 to 9 losses. I think it is a must for Holly to beat Stanford at home If she wants some of the fans to try to find some confidence in her.
The 2016 class is huge for Holly if she can't secure some highly rated post players you can look for us to drop another notch or two from the elite.

Reactions: 2 people
I got a good ideal, not trying to be smart azz, just get a new coach, she has proved that she cant coach at this level, but who could follow the WOMEN that put WOMEN COLLEGE BASKETBALL on the map, the MOTER of Women College Basketball, she just cant take Tennessee back to the top, nothing against her she just cant recruit against and coach against the elite, we need to go and get somebody that can before we fall way down, its getting where the top recruits don't even have Tennessee in there top 5 anymore, in the old days we just went and got about who we wanted like that coach that coaches that blue team in mens basketball.

Last edited:
St Francis best player scored 26 on us hardly goes noticed because they only scored 44 as a team.

Her shooting % was woeful in that game, but I did see that she took 19 threes. I don't remember if they were good shots or if she was launching them from 30 ft, but I'm surprised Tennessee let her get that many off. If it was KML or Mabrey shooting off 20 3's, they would score 40+ points easily.

Her shooting % was woeful in that game, but I did see that she took 19 threes. I don't remember if they were good shots or if she was launching them from 30 ft, but I'm surprised Tennessee let her get that many off. If it was KML or Mabrey shooting off 20 3's, they would score 40+ points easily.

I don't think it mattered if she hit them all we still win by 31. The main point is we don't have any players that can stop another teams best player. We used to have that every year.

I don't think it mattered if she hit them all we still win by 31. The main point is we don't have any players that can stop another teams best player. We used to have that every year.

Hayward was 8-24 from the floor, even though she scored 26 points. I think that's good defense, because Tennessee made her work for her points and she was not that efficient.

Chattanooga is a different story: Gilbert was 11-19 from the floor for 27 points. This is why I don't think that Carter should start. While she's a better defensive player than Ariel, she's not a lock down defensive player. When she goes up against teams with good guards, she doesn't consistently disrupt them. If she's not shutting them down and she's not putting points on the board, she should sit.

Hayward was 8-24 from the floor, even though she scored 26 points. I think that's good defense, because Tennessee made her work for her points and she was not that efficient.

Chattanooga is a different story: Gilbert was 11-19 from the floor for 27 points. This is why I don't think that Carter should start. While she's a better defensive player than Ariel, she's not a lock down defensive player. When she goes up against teams with good guards, she doesn't consistently disrupt them. If she's not shutting them down and she's not putting points on the board, she should sit.

I notice carter jumps around a lot and is fast, but other than that what does she really bring to the table?? She hasn't shot well, her defense is good, not great, she hustles well and she passes up many open shots. I still try to understand why holly starts her, or jones, or burdick for that matter...wait, holly is coaching..makes sense now..carry on :)

Ok, so I think I've figured out holly's "platoon" system. She starts the players who she feels are more defensive to wear the other team out, then she brings in the offensive players to put up the points...seems it should be the other way around, but ok it's something different maybe it'll work out

I think shes doin a good job since we don't hav miss Russell out an injury to izzy, I just hope for another great yr, go lady vols!! anyone wanna go to nash on a charter bus leaving Jackson tn on jan 5 vs vandy? I got seats 15 rows behind hollys bench 20 seats avail call greg 731 424 8238 cost is 58$ a person incl tix & bus fare!! deadline is dec 19

We let to may perimeter players go off for big games. They get a shot whenever they want one. She got 24 shots only made 8 but she wasn't being limited in touches of the ball. The list of perimeter players is long. It is already starting again this season.

We let to may perimeter players go off for big games. They get a shot whenever they want one. She got 24 shots only made 8 but she wasn't being limited in touches of the ball. The list of perimeter players is long. It is already starting again this season.

She wasn't limited in touches, but she was limited in open looks. She threw up a lot of prayers. If a guard is firing up contested shots, shooting 30% and Tennessee is getting the defensive boards, IMO that's solid defense. If a guard is over 50% FG% and scores 20+ points, that's a problem.

Carter can be a very effective guard, though. The best game I saw her play was against South Carolina last year. She harassed Tiffany Mitchell into a subpar game, and had a good offensive game herself. The capability is there, but I don't think she should be rewarded with lots of playing time until she shows she can do this consistently against the top flight guards.

This is why I don't think that Carter should start. While she's a better defensive player than Ariel, she's not a lock down defensive player.

I'm glad someone else sees this. I constantly see Carter and JJ being lauded for their outstanding defense, yet I see them getting blown by all the time. While I think they both have the ability to put good pressure on the ball, fundamentally I don't see either as that great of a defender. Carter's defensive ability doesn't come close to making up for her lack of instinct on offense IMO.

Last edited:
Starts at the top. Coach needs to go. I understand the "loyalty" hire, but she is not producing in a Lady Vol fashion and the longer she is coaching, the more irrelevant we are.

I'm glad someone else sees this. I constantly see Carter and JJ being lauded for their outstanding defense, yet I see them getting blown all the time. While I think they both have the ability to put good pressure on the ball, fundamentally I don't see either as that great of a defender. Carter's defensive ability doesn't come close to making up for her lack of instinct on offense IMO.

Carter may have some defensive issues but she is about the only guard who can drive through a zone defense to the basket.

I want holly to suceed but I don't think she can get the girls to play for her.
Hope I,m wrong but its sad to see a proud program going downhill.

Reactions: 3 people
Caldwell strikes me as someone who is a little too caught up in how she looks on the sideline--and she hasn't really distinguished herself at lsu, IMO. She's done OK, but I'm not sure she's special. We need special. I want someone who is caught up in developing a tough, first-rate basketball team.

Carter may have some defensive issues but she is about the only guard who can drive through a zone defense to the basket.

We are obviously watching different players. Despite her going to "point guard college" :jpshakehead: over the summer, she looks as lost as ever. Won't drive to the basket and won't shoot period. I watched her do that same dumb dribble-in-a-circle "move" about six straight possessions at Texas. The worst part was if she had actually kept going toward the basket she probably could've gotten a bucket or gotten some FTs. But no, let's dribble the ball back out. :blink: The only skill she has developed over her career at UT is how to dribble the ball as hard as possible into the court for 20 seconds of the shot clock. Honestly when she is on the floor on offense it's like playing 4 vs 5.

I really like Carter's hustle and I think she has good basketball IQ. Just like offense, defense is not always a 1-1 game.

VN Store

Back