Looking ahead: Rutgers

Amb3096

Scarlet Knights just lost in 2OT to UNC 96-93.

Rutgers...93 points???? Are you kidding me? This team is no joke. Betnijah Laney finished with 24 pts and 24 rebounds. Tennessee's posts will really need to control her.

This game will be a great measuring stick for how the LVs stack up. Should be an exciting game.

I think we have 10 more games this season against teams currently in the top 25. It's going to be a long season if they don't play significantly better than we have so far.

Edit: Should be 11 with Arkansas, but they'll be out because they just lost today.

Last edited:
I agree with you: For many years Rutgers was terrific defensively and terrible defensively; it would take them three games to score 93 points. The NCAA title game we played against Rutgers was a DREADFUL display of offensive basketball by both teams--but we won it. It would seem they got some scorers now.

Meanwhile Scaife had 25 points on 10/27 shooting with 7 TOs. If that had been Meighan Simmons people would be having a dying duck fit right now.

Reactions: 4 people
UNC has been really impressive this season. How is it they are better without Deshields??? And before anyone gets up in arms I'm not implying anything negative about Deshields, I'm legitimately curious....

UNC has been really impressive this season. How is it they are better without Deshields??? And before anyone gets up in arms I'm not implying anything negative about Deshields, I'm legitimately curious....

They still have Gray and Mavunga. Mavunga is a beast...it's a shame that Tennessee didn't land her.

They went from freshmen to sophomores. They all improved and Gray has become their go to player. She had better stats than Deshields last year didn't take as many shots.

Also, UNC has their coach back this season

I'm surprised that someone here actually thinks that CSH is an asset. I don't think I've seen that anywhere here before! Truthfully, I thought her assistant did a really good job with the team in her absence.

Even without Diamond, they still have a ton of great players. I think they're good, but not NC contender good. If Diamond was there, they would be right up there with UConn with regards to NC consideration.

I'm surprised that someone here actually thinks that CSH is an asset.

Something we agree on, which makes their early season success even more baffling. I thought Diamond was going to a situation with more talent at Tennessee. Maybe not...

Our first two games on the road this season offer no indication that we will win at Rutgers. This is their best team in a good while. I expect Holly will go with the old hands for most of the game and they will shoot about 35 percent together and we'll lose by about ten. I hope we win but no much confidence that we can pull it off.

Something we agree on, which makes their early season success even more baffling. I thought Diamond was going to a situation with more talent at Tennessee. Maybe not...

UNC is pretty talented. I'd say that the teams are about equal...on paper at least.

Our first two games on the road this season offer no indication that we will win at Rutgers. This is their best team in a good while. I expect Holly will go with the old hands for most of the game and they will shoot about 35 percent together and we'll lose by about ten. I hope we win but no much confidence that we can pull it off.

Free Jaime! Free Alexa!

We are fragile. Hopefully, no one takes herself out of the game, languishing in tears after a shoulder injury due to a flipped bra strap. Hopefully, all players will progress and play comfortable heretofore.

Andraya Carter, I salute you.

DeShields wasn't an asset to them in most games last season. Gray was better than her. While it's true that DeShields scored a lot of points, she did it by shooting (and missing) a ton. Same with Davis at GT.

Not knocking Deshields in any way, but she was not an efficient scorer last year - she took by far the most shots on the team and shot a lower percentage than the team on the year (.426 vs. .444) She also took more 3s than anyone and again shot poorly (.279 vs. .322) And she had a worse A/TO ratio - 0.8 vs. 0.9. She was the teams high scorer and its engine, but also a freshman with all that entails.

Reactions: 1 person
Not knocking Deshields in any way, but she was not an efficient scorer last year - she took by far the most shots on the team and shot a lower percentage than the team on the year (.426 vs. .444) She also took more 3s than anyone and again shot poorly (.279 vs. .322) And she had a worse A/TO ratio - 0.8 vs. 0.9. She was the teams high scorer and its engine, but also a freshman with all that entails.

Disagree,UCM,your entire post was a knock on Deshields. Your first sentence held the key that should be a clue for all of us. She is a SCORER and the A/TO ratio should not be a negative for her. How many times has Issabelle's A/TO ratio been used against her? On shooting percentages,those figures mean that as a team eighteen more field goals and forty three more threes would be hit on one thousand shots by the team. This would be hard to do on a team that won't or is afraid to shoot. In light of this,Deshields will be a tremendous asset to the Lady Vols.

Reactions: 3 people
Disagree,UCM,your entire post was a knock on Deshields. Your first sentence held the key that should be a clue for all of us. She is a SCORER and the A/TO ratio should not be a negative for her. How many times has Issabelle's A/TO ratio been used against her? On shooting percentages,those figures mean that as a team eighteen more field goals and forty three more threes would be hit on one thousand shots by the team. This would be hard to do on a team that won't or is afraid to shoot. In light of this,Deshields will be a tremendous asset to the Lady Vols.

His critique of her is based on facts. I hope her percentages are much better for us and becomes a better all around player.

His critique of her is based on facts. I hope her percentages are much better for us and becomes a better all around player.

Diamond is a competitor and is fired up for the big games. I'll take her any day of the year with her 42% shooting over anyone else in the country not named Breanna Stewart.

Reactions: 2 people
I think she will shoot a lot better as a sophomore. She took a lot of bad shots in that freshmen season think sitting out this year her shot selection will be better with Cooper feeding her the ball in good situations. She is a lock down defender. I can't wait to see her, Jones, and Cooper on the same team. I think they will cure the dribble drive that has been haunting us the past few seasons.

Reactions: 2 people
One big advantage for Diamond is she will be playing for a team she wants to play for. That wasn't the case last year. She wanted to leave before the season started. A happy player will be a better player.

Reactions: 1 person
Diamond is a competitor and is fired up for the big games. I'll take her any day of the year with her 42% shooting over anyone else in the country not named Breanna Stewart.

The problem is that is not always a winning strategy. It works in the WNBA but not necessarily in college basketball.

P.S.-A strong basketball coach like a Geno could make her an unbelievable player. Even potentially better than Stewart.

VN Store

Back