Holly thinking she's Calipari

Darth_Vol

The "platoon" system was nice for this scrimmage, wouldn't try it in a real game....

So, you're not feeling good about a 67 point win over a team where we were favored by 30 points? How many points should we have won by?

Reactions: 1 person
So, you're not feeling good about a 67 point win over a team where we were favored by 30 points? How many points should we have won by?

Not really. Other than Izzy getting some run, this game was largely a waste of time....

Reactions: 2 people
You can't take anything constructive out of that,it was less than a scrimmage.

You can't take anything constructive out of that,it was less than a scrimmage.

This. They had one pretty good player. The rest were D3 quality. Easy to look good when the opponent is completely outclassed athletically.

Reactions: 2 people
Sorry, didn't mean to bust up anyone's whine session. I enjoy going to the games.

I'm all for Lady Vols and all for Holly.

I listened to Holly tonight.... She knows the game, but she doesn't Communicate as well as I would WANT a Head Caoch to speak.

Maybe that is an issue.

That being said..............
We have LOTS of talent, and they need to BE meshed.

I think Middleton and Nared must have some playing time at the expense of Burdick and either Massengale or Reynolds those two bring a lot to the team they can't sit the bench like they did at Chattanooga and Texas.

Reactions: 3 people
I think Middleton and Nared must have some playing time at the expense of Burdick and either Massengale or Reynolds those two bring a lot to the team they can't sit the bench like they did at Chattanooga and Texas.
I've said this from the first game. When Middleton is on the floor, things happen. Nared is getting used to the college game is coming along nicely. Would have liked to see Dunbar get more minutes last night. I think she just needs time.

Has Holly ever won a game of consequence? Any win against a cupcake taste good but Holly does not have the coaching skills to help us during a game against a good team. Whip the cupcakes get to the tournament lay an egg in first or second round. Book it, oh and no player growth.

IN a blow out game, the platoon system makes reasonable sense in that it gives freshman and role players playing time.

The downside is that it does not help to build cohesion among the seven to nine players who are likely to be the ones carrying the bulk of minutes in bigger games.

The dilemmas facing this team in their early season losses are not so much about individual talent (though without Izzy there was a big gap in the post) but about a lack of flow in the half court offense and very poor team defense. If you beat one LV, there is very little switching and players seemed to be consistently out of position, leaving opponents open for uncontested lay-ups and jump shots. Per Holly, individual defending needs to improve but just getting into the right stance will not be enough against teams that know how to move the ball in the half court set, starting with Stanford.

IN a blow out game, the platoon system makes reasonable sense in that it gives freshman and role players playing time.

The downside is that it does not help to build cohesion among the seven to nine players who are likely to be the ones carrying the bulk of minutes in bigger games.

The dilemmas facing this team in their early season losses are not so much about individual talent (though without Izzy there was a big gap in the post) but about a lack of flow in the half court offense and very poor team defense. If you beat one LV, there is very little switching and players seemed to be consistently out of position, leaving opponents open for uncontested lay-ups and jump shots. Per Holly, individual defending needs to improve but just getting into the right stance will not be enough against teams that know how to move the ball in the half court set, starting with Stanford.

The lack of an eraser in the middle to clean up defensive mistakes doesn't help either. Neither Graves nor Burdick has the length or timing to be a deterrent to dribble penetration. While Izzy coming back will help with that, the perimeter players need to be better at preventing drives or allowing easy passes into the post.

Moving forward, I hope Nared and Middleton are part of the regular rotation and not given single digit minutes in games of importance. Both can be real difference makers, even though they're freshmen. In some ways, Diamond is lucky that she transferred in after having a showcase freshman year, because I think if she came in as a true freshman, Holly wouldn't have utilized her to her full potential. She needs to see that everyone is getting the best out of their prized freshmen, and she needs to do the same.

I'm all for Lady Vols and all for Holly.

I listened to Holly tonight.... She knows the game, but she doesn't Communicate as well as I would WANT a Head Caoch to speak.

Maybe that is an issue.

That being said..............
We have LOTS of talent, and they need to BE meshed.

Well, excuse me, but Pat wasn't exactly an orator of Shakespeare either and that worked out pretty good. :)

Holly will get it worked out. She'll "mesh" them. :eek:k:
GO VOLS!

It might not work for the fans, hopefully it works for the team. They have to trust the system.

Lack of an opportunity could be why so many of em play like I gotta get mine(rushed, selfish), you gotta get yours, rather than working as a unit.

The players will ultimately decide if this continues with their play.

Maybe this will put the bickering to rest amongst the players and its very hard to scout for.

Last edited:

VN Store

Back