LADY VOL HOOPS CENTRAL: Saint Francis

VN News

The #14/14 Tennessee women's basketball team (4-2) hosts Saint Francis (0-4) Wednesday at 7 p.m. ET (SEC Network+)
video_icon.png
WATCH LIVE | LISTEN LIVE | LIVE BLOG | LIVE STATS | NOTES | TICKETS

More...

Well I am going out on a limb bet we beat the St. Francis Lady Cupcakes by 50. Do not be surprised if the game is close the first 20 minutes before we rough up the 0 and 4 St. Francis Lady Cupcakes. I am sure that these Cupcakes have at least one 2 star who will give us trouble during the first 20 minutes. Burdick will miss a ton of shots and along with Massengale there will be more turnovers than you can believe. True to form we will come back and show these Cupcakes who has all the five stars. The Lady Vols will eat these Cupcakes alive. Holly supporters will bash all of us non-believers and claim that after beating the St. Francis Cupcakes,we are ready to take on UCONN. When we take out the Lipscomb Lady Cupcakes, Holly backers will be at their best. They will start making bold claims that we will run right past Rutgers placing Holly in position to be named coach of the year.:crazy:

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Cupcake, yawns. Now we gonna hear how they got after it in practice, the Freshman will prolly get more minutes. smh Then, when a big game comes around she'll play two of the most unproductive players in Lady Vols history (Ariel assist) for extended minutes.

The pine is a good teacher, send a message, senior year, riding the bench. This brand new style of coaching of, every player we recruit has to play, no no no some players are meant to ride the bench too, all you need is 5 to 7. Its like she's scared to coach, hurt feelings, get after them mentally, and that's exactly how our team looks.

Some of my toughest coaches, I hated em cos they challenge me, no slack, it was this love hate relationship, none of that is happening. None. She wants to be everyone friend, thats for assistant coaches. You are a head coach now Holly.

Find em, find the right combination and the best substitution pattern of those players, knowing when they need a break by they're play on the court, rather than a preplanned script. She has no real feel for the game, and with the assistant coaches, they don't either, if they are letting some things happen the way they are happening. That was one of Pat's strength she knew how to judge effort, this staff rewards no effort, this staff has shown it can't judge effort.

Saint Francis, yawns. She'll be all smiles, joking. I would be pissed off, until we get a quality win.

There will be no let up, there will be no cutting corners, there will be accountability across the board for your performance in practice and games, I wouldn't care how it may look to fans, but I would play those who get it, take my lumps on the chin with those who give me effort, cos they'll be a better team in the end.

You never see her talking to players during the game, calling them over to talk to them, like Nia, on the next foul shot or foul, I would say hey Nia, your getting pushed around, you not engaged, get yo ****ing head in the game, play tough, play ball gurl or you coming out, a warning, then the next time down the floor, hey Nia better job, that's what i want, that's what I expect, Nia, your not giving me what I want, I do that the whole game to each player who is not playing the way, as a coach I want them to play, now if they keep ****ing up or still no effort, they been warned, your out, don't even ****ing look at me, go to the last seat on the bench, team that kind of performance is unacceptable. Then you go an talk to them during the game, keep their spirits up. REspect.

Pat in her prime was real good at this, getting the best out of her players by striving for perfection, maximum effort each game. Pat some games talked to her whole starting five and subs. lol

Well that's what winners do, winning teams do (U don't see Geno playin players for the sake of playing players, he doesn't care if you a freshman or senior, performance, doing the things the right way is King, if you want to play for Championships), which player ya know is in Holly's doghouse, none, all of them are perfect, playing the game the Lady Vols way, our team is soft cos our coach is soft.

She needs to take a step back from assistant, and think like a head coach.

Last edited:
For instance, Nia wasn't giving Holly the right effort, so she sat, rode the pine the rest of the game but she played two players who pretty disappeared for 25-30 minutes, it sends the wrong message.

She played Ariel, Reynolds, Burdick, extended minutes, when obviously they effort weren't there, weren't in a stance, defending straight up, if the underclassmen don't see you following what you preach, they will began to not trust you, as a competitor, a champion how can you trust your leader if they don't stand behind their own words, then when they do, they do it so abrasively (like Nia).

Thank God we are playing Saint Francis or Limpscomb cos any quality competition, opponent, we could be a .500 team.

Last edited:
This would be a great game to work on 5 out and 4 out 1 in. No Pressing but everybody mane up the whole length of the floor, any ball screens we trap. smh

Last edited:
They are a decent team lost to Ohio State 113 to 97. They have one player that might score 40 on us. Anyway I think we win after two losses. I don't even think Dave Hart could stomach a loss to this team.

Tennessee will win this game, but I agree largely with Pat4Life's sentiment. You can't read anything into this game. Games like this are a good chance to practice things you are weak at. I don't see the point in pressing an overmatched team for 40 minutes when they could slow it down and try to practice executing some half-court sets against a team they should be able to beat with a half-assed effort.

If they press, force 30+ turnovers, rack up 25 assists (all on fast breaks) and win by 50, it won't tell us anything about this team other than that they are really, really good against overmatched teams without good coaching.

They are a decent team lost to Ohio State 113 to 97. They have one player that might score 40 on us. Anyway I think we win after two losses. I don't even think Dave Hart could stomach a loss to this team.

I was thinking the same thing, and then realized that I was just trying to justify why a close win against this team wouldn't be a disaster. Have things gotten so bad that we have to prepare for a close win against an 0-4 Saint Francis team. This is a team we would have beaten by 70 a few years ago. (hopefully we will this year).

Don't under rate hart and his committment to womens' athletics.:no::bad:

This would be a great game to work on 5 out and 4 out 1 in. No Pressing but everybody mane up the whole length of the floor, any ball screens we trap. smh

or 4 out, 1 in? It seems to be oriented around one player with the ball beating her defender and scoring. Am I right about that? If so, it is a stupid offense for us. I'm curious.

I agree that Warlick seems to want to be pals with the players, especially veterans. Players need to be pushed and challenged, and they can tell the difference between fake toughness and real toughness. She has the mentality of a longtime assistant coach--and you don't get rid of that after doing it for 30 years. We need a good, proven head coach with some smarts and some attitude--and we better not wait too long as the Vols have already been through a long stretch of mediocrity, by our standards.

or 4 out, 1 in? It seems to be oriented around one player with the ball beating her defender and scoring. Am I right about that? If so, it is a stupid offense for us. I'm curious.

I agree that Warlick seems to want to be pals with the players, especially veterans. Players need to be pushed and challenged, and they can tell the difference between fake toughness and real toughness. She has the mentality of a longtime assistant coach--and you don't get rid of that after doing it for 30 years. We need a good, proven head coach with some smarts and some attitude--and we better not wait too long as the Vols have already been through a long stretch of mediocrity, by our standards.

Armchair, its more an offense geared towards guards and wing heavy teams, especially when you have limited post players. Villanova men team run it a lot, it create space cos there are four players on the perimeter and the goal of its to attack the basket, get to the rim, cos there is space, it hard for defenders to help. 1 in, is a skilled post players, a player like Izzy can benefit cos she will be one on one against most centers, it usually creates mismatches on offense. It works well if you have skilled offensive players.

Most teams run the traditional 3/2 lineup, the 5 out, means five guards or wings, no real traditional post player, it just gives teams a different look on offense, create mismatches if spacing and passing is good but players have to be in attack mode for both of them to work successful, hell that's any offense.

But if our post get into foul trouble we have to have other options, and 4 out 1 in, and 5 out are two other options that we need to work on, to help establish roles, but if guards are not getting to the rim, attacking gaps, it doens't matter what we run it would look poor. You have to be patient for any offense to work, and we lack that, otherwise, we can really be dynamic, cos your trying to find the mix-matches, when teams go mane.

Last edited:
listen to this game(Mickey D) at the mike or watch LT vs LSU? Sorry Mick......

Good Luck LV but I'm going to watch Tyler's team.

Perhaps someone could help a tech-challenged dummy out. I have the SEC Network on Dish but can't locate this SEC Network + to save my soul.

Well I am going out on a limb bet we beat the St. Francis Lady Cupcakes by 50. Do not be surprised if the game is close the first 20 minutes before we rough up the 0 and 4 St. Francis Lady Cupcakes. I am sure that these Cupcakes have at least one 2 star who will give us trouble during the first 20 minutes. Burdick will miss a ton of shots and along with Massengale there will be more turnovers than you can believe. True to form we will come back and show these Cupcakes who has all the five stars. The Lady Vols will eat these Cupcakes alive. Holly supporters will bash all of us non-believers and claim that after beating the St. Francis Cupcakes,we are ready to take on UCONN. When we take out the Lipscomb Lady Cupcakes, Holly backers will be at their best. They will start making bold claims that we will run right past Rutgers placing Holly in position to be named coach of the year.:crazy:

Hey Holly go ahead and give Massengale 40mns tonight she should have a big nights the next games vs Cupcakes.

For instance, Nia wasn't giving Holly the right effort, so she sat, rode the pine the rest of the game but she played two players who pretty disappeared for 25-30 minutes, it sends the wrong message.

She played Ariel, Reynolds, Burdick, extended minutes, when obviously they effort weren't there, weren't in a stance, defending straight up, if the underclassmen don't see you following what you preach, they will began to not trust you, as a competitor, a champion how can you trust your leader if they don't stand behind their own words, then when they do, they do it so abrasively (like Nia).

Thank God we are playing Saint Francis or Limpscomb cos any quality competition, opponent, we could be a .500 team.

I agree

I don't know if or how much Moore would have helped against Texas. But not playing her more than 5 minutes was vintage Warlick. She was looking to bench her. How many players show out in the first five minutes of a game? I hardly saw her touch the ball? One could perhaps justify taking her out in favor of more experienced players. But not putting her back in? That was not only DUMB but a slap in the young woman's face. How are you going to KNOW if she can play against better competition if you don't play her?

listen to this game(Mickey D) at the mike or watch LT vs LSU? Sorry Mick......

Good Luck LV but I'm going to watch Tyler's team.

Holly is bragging to Mickey D, on the radio about the practices they had after the texas game. i`m so tired of this lady same old story. you get a cupcake the next 2 games.

One of our problems as a team is that we STILL have too many players who lack lateral quickness. You can't play good defense if you can't move laterally quickly--and Massengale, Burdick, and Reynolds, among others, do not seem very good at that. I'm not sure Dunbar or Middleton are going to be very good at it, either; we'll see. This is one reason why we can't play great man defense anymore, although some of it is also lack of effort.

if LT weren't shooting bricks they'd be up by 20 on LSU. great O rebounding so far.

VN Store

Back