Culture change in LV basketball program

VolDango

The problem I see with the modern LV basketball program is that the players are more worried about looking good (hair, nails, etc) than being tough and playing hard. It's almost like they're trying too hard to fight the mindset that girl basketball players are manly or not feminine. You don't see that kind of attitude with UCONN players. In fact, Mosqueda-Lewis is quoted on ESPN talking about this specifically, stating that she doesn't care about looking a certain way and all that matters is how she plays ball.

These Lady Vol basketball players, and I think it dates back about 5 years, couldn't hang with Shemeka Randall, Tamika Catchings, Holdsclaw, etc. Those girls weren't worried about hair and makeup. UCONN is getting all those girls and UT gets the soft ones who are more worried about Instagram and Facebook selfies.

When you add in that Warlick is meant to be an assistant coach, who are better at being friends with players than being hard on them, the entire culture is now different. The Lady Vols have gone soft. That's the bottom line.

New culture:

volscars08_4394041_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

Btw, they look great. But I'd rather have players like Randall, Catchings, Holdsclaw, Conklin, Marciniak, etc.... t-shirt and jeans girls with a backwards hats on. These mini skirts aren't tough and it matches their approach to defense and rebounding. Just sayin.

Reactions: 2 people
The problem I see with the modern LV basketball program is that the players are more worried about looking good (hair, nails, etc) than being tough and playing hard. It's almost like they're trying too hard to fight the mindset that girl basketball players are manly or not feminine. You don't see that kind of attitude with UCONN players. In fact, Mosqueda-Lewis is quoted on ESPN talking about this specifically, stating that she doesn't care about looking a certain way and all that matters is how she plays ball.

These Lady Vol basketball players, and I think it dates back about 5 years, couldn't hang with Shemeka Randall, Tamika Catchings, Holdsclaw, etc. Those girls weren't worried about hair and makeup. UCONN is getting all those girls and UT gets the soft ones who are more worried about Instagram and Facebook selfies.

When you add in that Warlick is meant to be an assistant coach, who are better at being friends with players than being hard on them, the entire culture is now different. The Lady Vols have gone soft. That's the bottom line.

New culture:

volscars08_4394041_ver1.0_640_480.JPG

First things first...God Bless, Izzy!

Having gotten that out of the way, Bria Hartley and Stefanie Dolson clearly were very into the way they looked, and that didn't change the fact that they were ruthless competitors. I don't think a picture of the girls all dolled up for a formal is a reason to crucify them. It's not like they come on court looking like that.

Reactions: 5 people
It's a culture. The coach affects the culture more than anyone. Coaching and culture are connected at the hip.

You won't find a picture of Semeka Randall looking like this in college, formal or no formal. Taurasi, etc.

It's a culture. The coach affects the culture more than anyone. Coaching and culture are connected at the hip.

You won't find a picture of Semeka Randall looking like this in college, formal or no formal. Taurasi, etc.

So they shouldn't go to formals?

Reactions: 2 people
Obviously the bra burners aren't going to like this view, but it's true. These LV players are soft. Alicia Manning was a recent exception. I think she was pretty tough, but still not like they were back in the 80s and 90s.

Reactions: 1 person
Obviously the bra burners aren't going to like this view, but it's true. These LV players are soft. Alicia Manning was a recent exception. I think she was pretty tough, but still not like they were back in the 80s and 90s.

Alicia was tough. So was Glory. And Glory looks like she spent quite a bit of time doing her hair, makeup and nails.

Alicia was tough. So was Glory. And Glory looks like she spent quite a bit of time doing her hair, makeup and nails.

Glory is also dating Britney Griner. So I don't think she counts. But even her, she wasn't the top 5 player her recruiting ranking said she was. I think she could have been much better with Pat in her prime. Pat already started a decline at that point.

2008 was the end of Pat's national dominance.

Copy and paste where I said that. Quick.

They'd look pretty out of place going to a formal not wearing proper attire, don't you think? By saying they shouldn't dress like this (which is pretty basic attire for a formal), then I don't see how they would attend.

It's not the hair, it's not the nails, it's not the makeup, not the short dresses...it's the fact that the players aren't very good.

Reactions: 3 people
Glory is also dating Britney Griner. So I don't think she counts.

Why? Because she's a lesbian, then one should overlook the fact that she spent a lot of attention to her hair, nails and makeup? And she can rock the tight black dress better than any of the other girls.

Glory proves my point. Liking to look nice and playing hard are not mutually exclusive traits.

Reactions: 7 people
Players aren't good?? They're almost all top 25 players out of high school. I refuse to believe they just aren't good. They aren't TOUGH and want to be pretty instead of tough. They're scared of the stereotype that comes with being a female basketball player.

If you look at freshmen
pictures of Dolson and Stewart they both look like they had makeovers done the next year. So looks is important to most but not all and does not make a player.

Glory is also dating Britney Griner. So I don't think she counts. But even her, she wasn't the top 5 player her recruiting ranking said she was. I think she could have been much better with Pat in her prime. Pat already started a decline at that point.

She got drafted by the WNBA at #4, so I'd say her HS ranking was right on target.

Are you seriou?:yuck::yikes:

If you look at freshmen
pictures of Dolson and Stewart they both look like they had makeovers done the next year. So looks is important to most but not all and does not make a player.

Breanna_Stewart_at_UConn_Stanford_game.jpg

She doesn't look too worried about her looks. She's out in public. I think this mindset makes a huge difference.

We need a lot of help in the coaching, player and recruit departments. Lets keep our faith that Holly will some how bring this team around. I admit that is a ton of faith but at this point, I will try everything.

Players aren't good?? They're almost all top 25 players out of high school. I refuse to believe they just aren't good. They aren't TOUGH and want to be pretty instead of tough. They're scared of the stereotype that comes with being a female basketball player.

Cierra Burdick was #3 in her class. Have you seen anything from her to suggest that she's the 3rd best player in her class?

From the picture that was shown, I am pretty sure that Meighan Simmons did not care about being seen as pretty. Of the current roster, Izzy is putting her teammates to shame in that picture, and she plays tougher than anyone on the team.

69104A6B-39DA-48BE-9583-C8436BD6B302-10814-00000796E2E78202cf217fa8bb.jpg

Graves has plenty of time for posing, no time for defense. Even has the hand on the hip like all girls HAVE to have in order to take any picture ever.

Soft.

VN Store

Back