Game Thread Lady Vols vs Texas

Let's take our whippin in Texas like a team should. Last night was so disappointing doubt I watch that game. I keep hearing how great were becoming playing defense and rebounding then we let five little girls from Chattanooga beat us like a bongo drum. I'm tired of hearing the excuses it is obvious we don't play with effort and we give up when we miss a few shots. The once proud Lady Vols seem to be history of the past.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
We lose one game, and the season is over, Some people are unbelievable. It was a bad loss yes, but losses happen, If we beat Texas on Sunday, I guarantee people will change their tune.

I was there last night and the effort was pretty bad until the second half. I never complain about officiating but it was pretty bad. On top of that Chattanooga just out hustled us.

Reactions: 1 person
I didn't notice too many bad calls from the refs last night. Just some unfortunate ones from a LV perspective,,, :)

We lose one game, and the season is over, Some people are unbelievable. It was a bad loss yes, but losses happen, If we beat Texas on Sunday, I guarantee people will change their tune.
I promise you I will not change my mind unless we kill Texas by 25. We are or were the number 4 team in the nation, shouldn't we be expected to win? I will not sing Holly's praises until she beats Texas, beats St. Francis by 50 and then beats Stanford. If she then kicks ND's butt she is a big time coach and I will sing her praises and dare anyone to say anything bad about her. Seeing is believing and beating also rans such as Penn and TSU does not come close to greatness. Remember ND beat the Moc's by around 30. It is not losing but how you lose and this one stinks.

you have got to hear Holly's interview after the disaster at Mocs' house. First she mostly blamed the players for playing bad. Why did't she call timeouts when things started going South like Foster did with the Mocs? She interviews worse than any big time coach I have ever heard. With Her voice and mannerism do you feel Holly has the skill set to motivate these ladies?

Holly made the same amateur mistake in the maryland ncaa loss. Maryland went on a run in the first half and Warlick never called a timeout--which is elementary coaching. You stop a run early on---say, 8 poing swing--and regroup--not wait until the swing is 14 point or so.

Reactions: 2 people
"a saved time out is a wasted time out", @Ray Mears, @Adolf Rupp, @John Wooden, @ every junior high coach ever born.......

This might get ugly quick !

Yeah, the butthurt crowd that lost their LV logos are on the warpath.

They hate Hart and Holly is their excuse. That is what this is all about.

The reality is that today's women's basketball has improved over the past to where there are scores of very good to elite teams that you have to beat to win championships. Back in the day there were only a handful who had a prayer of beating Coach Pat's teams. There is no excuse for losing to UTC, but it is far from the end of the world.

Texas has size. Texas is a very good basketball team.

If Nia Moore is as good as some people believe, this is the game she needs to play really well in, and I hope she does.

I am certainly hoping for a win, but it will be tough on the road against a very good team.

The fact that our perimeter players can't stop or guard the dribble drive is all you need to know about this game. Ariel Atkins will make us look bad I suspect.

Good defense is all about getting quick help from teammates when one of your players has been beaten by an opponent with the basketball. It is the other four players being aware of where the ball is, who has the ball, so they can help. One thing that always strikes me about our man defense is this: the opponent will bring their center out high--to top of circle, say--to set picks and clear out space near the basket--so that their players can drive the ball to the basket, in some cases. And our bigs always follow their bigs out away from the basket and try to closely guard their center/bigs when they get the ball. Russell did this last year, Harrison does it. WHY? It's stupid. Our bigs should let their bigs go 20 feet out--and instead stay CLOSE to our basket so that they can prevent layups and provide help if our perimeter defense breaks down. Our bigs don't accomplish anything defensively by following their players way out--except to make it easier for the other team to score. We've got to stop doing this when playing man defense. It's stupid. Watch this today when we play man--their bigs will draw Moore and maybe others way outside where they cannot help on defense.

you have got to hear Holly's interview after the disaster at Mocs' house. First she mostly blamed the players for playing bad. Why did't she call timeouts when things started going South like Foster did with the Mocs? She interviews worse than any big time coach I have ever heard. With Her voice and mannerism do you feel Holly has the skill set to motivate these ladies?

Yes, she has that same deer in headlights look during the game as well....

Good defense is all about getting quick help from teammates when one of your players has been beaten by an opponent with the basketball. It is the other four players being aware of where the ball is, who has the ball, so they can help. One thing that always strikes me about our man defense is this: the opponent will bring their center out high--to top of circle, say--to set picks and clear out space near the basket--so that their players can drive the ball to the basket, in some cases. And our bigs always follow their bigs out away from the basket and try to closely guard their center/bigs when they get the ball. Russell did this last year, Harrison does it. WHY? It's stupid. Our bigs should let their bigs go 20 feet out--and instead stay CLOSE to our basket so that they can prevent layups and provide help if our perimeter defense breaks down. Our bigs don't accomplish anything defensively by following their players way out--except to make it easier for the other team to score. We've got to stop doing this when playing man defense. It's stupid. Watch this today when we play man--their bigs will draw Moore and maybe others way outside where they cannot help on defense.

I agree but may I add that keeping the ball handler in front of you is primary focus while playing man, now when you do get beat off the dribble it is extremely important for help to be there (like you said). We do a poor job of both. This is player effort and awareness. Effort is on the player, but awareness is on coaching.

On the other topic. If the opponents bigs are used as screeners, then there are different coaching beliefs. If our post are taught to hedge on ball screens, then the technique to recover towards the paint to help and get back to original post that was setting the screen is being taught poorly too. I'm not sure what we are teaching there, or in our press for that matter. We have three players trapping the ball in our press.

I still have my Logo and a crap load of Lady Vol shirts, pullovers and hoodies. I do not plan to give any of it up, even if Holly turns the program into the likes of La Tech, Texas Tech, ODU or such. I plan to continue to complain as long as our girls play unmotivated and we can make it no farther than the final 8.

As in the men's game there is the top, the middle, average and below average. The same holds true for Women's basketball. We have top five talent and should be coached and play like a top five program. Yes we beat South Carolina last year, but did or could we have beaten UCONN, we didn't beat ND or Stanford, could we have beaten Louisville or Baylor? We could not beat Maryland and it was not a top five program. You can say we don't know if we could have beaten the teams we did not play because we did not play them. If it makes you feel good, then take that point of view that we could have. Now if you believe Holly is presently in the coaching class of Geno, Kim, Muffey, the guy at Louisville or the lady at Stanford, you are out of your mind. Can she reach those heights, anything is possible, but for right now she is simply not a top five coach. From my viewpoint saying she is top 20 is a stretch. Let me make one thing clear I don't want her just thrown to the curb but I would like to see improvements when we play the big teams and we are down and out or unmotivated. :cray:

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
wow, the lady vols are average. we have become an average program, we're gonna be like Oklahoma, Sweet Sixteen is going to be our high...smh Hopefully they can get they're head in the game, cos Texas is looking better.

Here's another possible contributor to our under-performing identity:

For the players, I wonder how long it's been since it was FUN to put on the Lady Vols game uniform?

I'm not taking a shot at all the (rightfully) negative posts here... I'm just wondering what it's like for the players.

How much does that jersey weigh now when they slip it on, carrying the weight of the largest, saddest, most frustrated, spoiled-by-success fanbase in all of women's sports? Those banners may be hung from the rafters, but maybe they've started to drag on the players instead of inspiring them as they once did.

One thing seems sure: two years ago the Lady Mocs pinned a "Kick Me" sign on their backs that's not been removed since.

Bruised Orange, I like you post. The weight of the jersey certanitly should have some weight. How can you come into such a storied program and not expect higher expectations and demands put upon you as a player. I couldn't agree with you more about the kick me sign on the back of the jersey of these players. My only question is to the players who are wearing these jerseys. Are you strong enough to take the signs off of your fellow players? I sure hope so.

VN Store

Back