the freshman who torched us tonight

kamoshika

Keiana Gilbert finished with 27 points (11-19 FGs) & 5 rebounds, not too shabby for someone we probably never gave a glance at.

Keiana Gilbert had to settle for a Miss Class AAA Basketball runner-up, but the Columbia Central senior maintained her humble attitude as she stood among the TSSAA’s elite trio of players.

...The selection of Middleton was basically a formality as she has signed with the University of Tennessee. The 5-foot-9 Middleton averaged 17.8 points, 4.2 rebounds, 3.4 assists and 2.8 steals for the Lady Warriors.

“I put Keiana up with those two girls anytime,” said Columbia Central head coach Drew Johnson. “But I understand, Alexa has been in the state tournament three times.”

...Gilbert averaged 24 points, 11 rebounds, two assists and three steals per game while leading the Lady Lions to a 23-4 record including a win at Riverdale in late December when the Lady Warriors were ranked No. 1 in the Max Preps National poll.

Centra's Gilbert is a runner-up for Miss Basketball

Foster said the the thing with Gilbert is getting her to understand it's okay to do what she does....as a freshman. She seemed to be okay with it tonight.

Reactions: 2 people
Not just Gilbert anybody who can dribble a basketball can have a huge game against Tennessee. We got wore out last season with dribble penetration and layups and nothing has changed. Holly seems determined to go with the old hands as our freshmen will sit on the bench and get a few minutes while the ones that have never done anything here play most of the minutes. I was shocked that our leading scorer of the last four games played a total of 11 minutes. Graves played 35 was 2 for 7 from the field. Middleton 11 minutes really not enough time to make a difference. Burdick gets 22 minutes and does virtually nothing 4 points 2 rebounds. Dunbar did not see the floor. Nared 7 minutes. Nothing has changed with Holly.

Reactions: 3 people
We don't play freshman no matter how good they are, we only play upper class players if they can play or not because they give us upper class leadership? Wrong or right, poor or good leadership is leadership.

So who was guarding Gilbert? I assume Carter, as she is the best defensive guard we have. Massengale is not so good. Good, penetrating guards will cause any team problems; the important thing is for the OTHER 4 players to have some situational awareness and be prepared to help--early--on a talented opposing player. You don't looking at your player while an opposing guard blows in and makes a layup. Good defenders always have one eye on their opponent and one eye on the ball or situation around them. Sounds like we didn't help much on Gilbert last night.

Gilbert is a damn good baller! Credit given! Now we have to focus on the next opponent.

I went to Lawrence County with both Keiana and her sister Aryanna before they transferred to Columbia. Everyone here knew how good they were. I was really shocked that they didn't end up somewhere bigger. They are both very talented.

Carter looked horrible last night along with the rest of them. No one could stop the dribble drive.

I remember Ballard of LSU and several others torched us the same way. We really lost this game in the first half when we gave them 12 second chance points. You let them on the offensive boards like that you can't win.

Big question who are our go to players that can lead us to the final four? Every great team has that go to person who can take over a game. Who on the Lady Vols has the potential to almost be unstoppable? I submit to you that we have not had a go to player since Parker. Is this due to lack of potential, inexperience in coaching, the lack of motivation, lack of leadership from the top down, we have a team of underachievers, or the team is simply overrated?

Big question who are our go to players that can lead us to the final four? Every great team has that go to person who can take over a game. Who on the Lady Vols has the potential to almost be unstoppable? I submit to you that we have not had a go to player since Parker. Is this due to lack of potential, inexperience in coaching, the lack of motivation, lack of leadership from the top down, we have a team of underachievers, or the team is simply overrated?

Too early to tell but it looks like a team of underachievers, no alpha females on the court yet with skills.

VN Store

Back