LADY VOL HOOPS CENTRAL: Winthrop

VN News

The #4/5 Lady Vols will take on the Winthrop Eagles in Thompson-Boling Arena on Friday night at 7 p.m. on SEC Network+.
Womens-College-Basketball-Winthrop-vs-Tennessee
WATCH LIVE | LISTEN LIVE | LIVE BLOG | LIVE STATS | NOTES | TICKETS

More...

I think this is the opening on the schedule when UNC withdrew. It should never be played. they lost to Furman by 20 .

Holly had some problems scheduling enough games because of Baylor and NC dropping their games. Looks like Winthrop has more courage than those two programs it is what it is.

Reactions: 3 people
Do anyone know the reasons on why Baylor and UNC dropped us from the schedule?

I would think UNC dropped us because of DesShields being there and knowing what sets they are in. Probably thinking it would be a competitive disadvantage. That's understandable. Not sure about Baylor.....

It makes sense that Holly would green light a game with Winthrop. Judy Wilkins, Pat's first assistant, graduated from Winthrop.

Winthrop is going to get a taste of what up tempo basketball is all about....
The LVs will be pressing them when they try and get off the bus at Thompson...

I would think UNC dropped us because of DesShields being there and knowing what sets they are in. Probably thinking it would be a competitive disadvantage. That's understandable. Not sure about Baylor.....
I also think they are upset because she decided to attend Tenn! UNC and Baylor only like to play the powerhouses when they have the talent they feel they can't lose to. When Hatchell had Latta, Larkins, Little, Breeland, and Pringle she played us to help get future recruits to her program and when they left she ended the serious only to pick it back up. Mulky does the same thing, when they had Sophia Young she played us, when Young left she ended the series and then when Simms and Griner arrived she picked it back up only to stop the series when they left and now since she added the two Post Players she wants to pick the series back up. If I am Holly the only team I want to play is Uconn and Stanford because they are the only teams who aren't afraid to play us and don't need us to help in their recruiting of other players their name, coaches, and players who have left their programs and are playing in the WNBA speak for themselves.

Baylor didn't want to play us the minute that Griner graduated. That tells you all you need to know about Baylor.

Reactions: 5 people
There is a basketball monster growing at TBA, and it will burst lose at the NCAA tournament...No team will be safe.

The #1 Center Kaylani Brown signed with Baylor. Looks like Baylor will be back very soon.

If Baylor only wants to play us when they think they have an advantage, we shouldn't agree to play them IMO.

Also, Kalani Brown may be the #1 center, but isn't ranked in the top 10 of all players in that class, so I don't see her replacing Griner or Sims (let alone both) anytime soon.

Reactions: 2 people
I also think they are upset because she decided to attend Tenn! UNC and Baylor only like to play the powerhouses when they have the talent they feel they can't lose to. When Hatchell had Latta, Larkins, Little, Breeland, and Pringle she played us to help get future recruits to her program and when they left she ended the serious only to pick it back up. Mulky does the same thing, when they had Sophia Young she played us, when Young left she ended the series and then when Simms and Griner arrived she picked it back up only to stop the series when they left and now since she added the two Post Players she wants to pick the series back up. If I am Holly the only team I want to play is Uconn and Stanford because they are the only teams who aren't afraid to play us and don't need us to help in their recruiting of other players their name, coaches, and players who have left their programs and are playing in the WNBA speak for themselves.

Don't forget ND, They love us too. Love me some Muffett

My problem is we are dropping them for bad competition. There is both a good side and a bad side. Bad side, it does not help you get better. Good side it allows you to play more players and make evaluations early on. Pat, and I am not comparing, played difficult competition so the Lady Vols would be ready for the rough and tough SEC. We have seen the disappearance of Baylor, NC, and UCONN. I think that we need to try and add UCLA, Michigan State, and Louisville. I believe that the more cup cakes you play the less the chance you will be able to play the big girls of the SEC.:hi:

I would love for us to replace nc and baylor with duke or Maryland or Louisville or Georgia tech or Florida state or any top 40 program. I'm not in the meeting rooms so maybe these teams aresomee of the 'nobody wants to play us' crowd that they reached out too

Remember sports fans, Chattanooga, Wichita State, Stanford, Oregon, Rutgers, and Texas will not be cup cakes. We will need to bring our A game. We should beat each of these teams. Stanford and Texas will be an issue but can be solved. If we have difficulty with the other teams, I think that we need to be honest and consider if Holly is the right coach for the Lady Vols. I know we like her and she was Pat's choice, but not all great assistant coaches are good head coaches.

Last edited:
Watching South Carolina they are not a joke. Asia Wilson is as good as advertised. This team can shoot from inside and outside. Can they hit from outside? Yes they can. We have better talent than Clemson. It is like a cat playing with a mice. They are tall, lean, aggressive, and tough. They never, never give up on a rebound. South Carolina have two lines they run in on you. One has three freshman and they play like they been there for years. We can pair with them if we play as we are capable of playing. I have to also remember that Clemson is a cup cake with icing.

Last edited:
I would love for us to replace nc and baylor with duke or Maryland or Louisville or Georgia tech or Florida state or any top 40 program. I'm not in the meeting rooms so maybe these teams aresomee of the 'nobody wants to play us' crowd that they reached out too

It has been stated that Brenda Frese hates everything about Tennessee. She continued to recruit Candace Parker even after she enrolled at Tennessee. Did you hear her pre-game speech before Maryland whipped our you know what? You can cross out Maryland. Duke may renew the series, which I think there series with UConn ends this season or next. GT said no because they had nothing to gain in the series where Tennessee recruits the state of Georgia really well. I doubt she would ask Walz to start a season, there is no love lost with the recruiting battles for Russell and Reynolds. UCLA said no. Cal said no. I have no idea about FSU. There are a lot of fans, schools and coaches that are hoping Tennessee fades away and are refusing to start series with Tennessee. Its not easy as you think. Just like recruiting, there's a lot of things that go on behind the scenes. I have learned some of these recruits have handlers where coaches make promises so that recruit will sign with there University. AAU coaches can play crucial roles in a prospect recruitment either in a good or bad way. Women's recruiting is getting as bad as the men. I am excited when top talent choose to wear orange because I guarantee you the staff worked very hard to get the recruit to sign. Even after MeMe Jackson verbaled to Tennessee, she stated how many coaches were still trying to convince her not to got to Tennessee, but she was all orange. The hate for Tennessee is real and there so many that want Tennessee to fade away

Reactions: 2 people
My problem is we are dropping them for bad competition. There is both a good side and a bad side. Bad side, it does not help you get better. Good side it allows you to play more players and make evaluations early on. Pat, and I am not comparing, played difficult competition so the Lady Vols would be ready for the rough and tough SEC. We have seen the disappearance of Baylor, NC, and UCONN. I think that we need to try and add UCLA, Michigan State, and Louisville. I believe that the more cup cakes you play the less the chance you will be able to play the big girls of the SEC.:hi:
We didn't drop them. They dropped us. Hard to schedule good teams on a short notice.

Reactions: 1 person
It has been stated that Brenda Frese hates everything about Tennessee. She continued to recruit Candace Parker even after she enrolled at Tennessee. Did you hear her pre-game speech before Maryland whipped our you know what? You can cross out Maryland. Duke may renew the series, which I think there series with UConn ends this season or next. GT said no because they had nothing to gain in the series where Tennessee recruits the state of Georgia really well. I doubt she would ask Walz to start a season, there is no love lost with the recruiting battles for Russell and Reynolds. UCLA said no. Cal said no. I have no idea about FSU. There are a lot of fans, schools and coaches that are hoping Tennessee fades away and are refusing to start series with Tennessee. Its not easy as you think. Just like recruiting, there's a lot of things that go on behind the scenes. I have learned some of these recruits have handlers where coaches make promises so that recruit will sign with there University. AAU coaches can play crucial roles in a prospect recruitment either in a good or bad way. Women's recruiting is getting as bad as the men. I am excited when top talent choose to wear orange because I guarantee you the staff worked very hard to get the recruit to sign. Even after MeMe Jackson verbaled to Tennessee, she stated how many coaches were still trying to convince her not to got to Tennessee, but she was all orange. The hate for Tennessee is real and there so many that want Tennessee to fade away
Frese doesn't like us because Pat put a stop to some of her recruiting tactics in the beginning. She was informed to shape up or it would be over.

If Baylor only wants to play us when they think they have an advantage, we shouldn't agree to play them IMO.

Also, Kalani Brown may be the #1 center, but isn't ranked in the top 10 of all players in that class, so I don't see her replacing Griner or Sims (let alone both) anytime soon.[/QU

South Carolina is for real. They have two lines and they can flat out ball. Clemson was not a great measurement but Holly and the girls can't play them half stepping and throwing the ball any where and every where. Asia Wilson and the two freshman looked like seasoned vets. By the way if you haven't heard, Texas beat Stanford 81-87. I think that the women's game is no longer a one trick pony. Just talent will not do it, you have to know to coach and recruit talent.:rock:

Last edited:
I hope we never play Maryland because Frese is a snake. Her and Waltz recruiting tactics are horrible. I have no problem downplaying another university to land a recruit but when you create rumors about the school/coaches thats where I have an issue. You can not play teams who does not want to play you. Many of these teams are afraid of Tennesse and our legacy and knows it wont be a walk in the park. The only series I would love to see renewed is UConn! We are a powerhouse (whether folk believe it or not) and we shouldn't be looking for the competition it should be looking for us and even if we play cupcakes, the SEC alone will prepare us for the Tournament. I'm tired of teams using us to build their program and when it is estalished they no longer want to play us. Look at Oklahoma with the Paris Twins, Duke with Beard, Tillis, Mo Currie and then with Bailes and Lindsey Harding. I respect coaches like C.Vivian stringer (who I feel should have won a title when Anosike was mysteriously fouled at the end of the championship game and hit the game winning free throws) who plays us regardless of records or rewards. She could have easily decided not to play us since then but has stuck to her guns.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back