Petition to Reinstate the Lady Vols in All Women's Sports at Tennessee

Volstylexx

Sign the petition to "Reinstate the Lady Vols in All Women's Sports at Tennessee:"

https://www.change.org/p/university...-lady-vols-in-all-women-s-sports-at-tennessee

Here's another great write up from the Washington Post. Seems to be an issue that is gaining national attention.

Tennessee women

"Down in Tennessee, they are about to remove the word “Lady” from the Tennessee Volunteers logo, which is like chiseling the face off a priceless work of art. If someone started whacking the arms off statues at the Acropolis in order to sell them, you’d call the perpetrator a destructive vulgarian with no appreciation of history."

Reactions: 5 people
Sign the petition to "Reinstate the Lady Vols in All Women's Sports at Tennessee:"

https://www.change.org/p/university...-lady-vols-in-all-women-s-sports-at-tennessee

Here's another great write up from the Washington Post. Seems to be an issue that is gaining national attention.

Tennessee women

"Down in Tennessee, they are about to remove the word “Lady” from the Tennessee Volunteers logo, which is like chiseling the face off a priceless work of art. If someone started whacking the arms off statues at the Acropolis in order to sell them, you’d call the perpetrator a destructive vulgarian with no appreciation of history."

"Priceless work of art" is a bit of a stretch for anything other than the basketball team.

Reactions: 2 people
I'd like to start a petition to take it away from the Women's Basketball team too. We're the only school in the nation that has two logos that I know of. I'm joking, but let's chill here.

Tennessee women

Dumb.

No one in the AD cares about this petition. The decision has been made. I'm not going to lose sleep because women soccer or volleyball players can't put the word "lady" on their uniforms. I 100% back the One Tennessee movement. It's a much better branding scheme for the university. The Lady Vols being left only for the basketball program is also genius. If the other women's programs win 8 national championships, maybe they'll have an argument.

:no1:

Reactions: 3 people
Bunch of idiots.

No one refers to the women's sports as 'Lady Vols' other than the basketball team.

The women's softball team

The women's volleyball team.

The women's golf team.

The women's tennis team.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Bunch of idiots.

No one refers to the women's sports as 'Lady Vols' other than the basketball team.

The women's golf team.

The women's tennis team.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

So calling them women is OK but not Ladys?

So calling them women is OK but not Ladys?

No one refers to them as 'Lady Golfers' or 'Lady Swimmers', only the basketball team is constantly referred to as 'Lady Vols'.

Just another 'cause' for flaming libs and blue hairs to champion.

I see nothing wrong with the brand of the Lady Vols continuing for the women's basketball team. But, we have an Alabama AD who knows what's best for Tennessee.

No one refers to them as 'Lady Golfers' or 'Lady Swimmers', only the basketball team is constantly referred to as 'Lady Vols'.

Just another 'cause' for flaming libs and blue hairs to champion.

So can't debate without casting slurs? Don't bother answering. Your opinion is not worth the time.

Bunch of idiots.

The women's golf team.

The women's tennis team.

Etc. Etc. Etc.

Hmm,, let's look....

@LadyVol_Soccer

@LadyVol_Softball

@LadyVol_Tennis

@LadyVol_Golf

@LadyVol_Vball

You're right, none of them go by Lady Vols....:thud: Ever been to a "lady Vol" game other than basketball? They ALL go by Lady Vols

Tennessee women

This, is honestly well over due. First the logo is dated by 30 years. Second why was this piece of sexism put into place anyways, shouldn't we all be known as one Tennessee and not segregated out by male or female sports. Third it is a brand killer, our brand is Tennessee....we can refer to them as the Lady Vols all we like but our branding will be and become more consistent thus building our brand....on the espn ticker we won't see an akward blue and orange logo showing Tennessee playing Stanford in woman's basketball, we will see the power T. This denotes that we (our entire volnation) is playing not just the lady vol off shoot of our brand!

Last edited:
I see nothing wrong with the brand of the Lady Vols continuing for the women's basketball team. But, we have an Alabama AD who knows what's best for Tennessee.

I wish people would drop the "Bama Dave" stuff. Hart sucks, but it doesn't have anything to do with where he came from. David Cutcliffe is a Bama alum too. I guess he should've never been on a UT payroll.

I really don't care what they are called, but has anyone asked them what they prefer to be called? That would seem to be a good starting point imho.

Reactions: 1 person
I really don't care what they are called, but has anyone asked them what they prefer to be called? That would seem to be a good starting point imho.

Can't trust dang women to tell you the truth! :blink:

This, is honestly well over due. First the logo is dated by 30 years. Second why was this piece of sexism put into place anyways, shouldn't we all be known as one Tennessee and not segregated out by male or female sports. Third it is a brand killer, our brand is Tennessee....we can refer to them as the Lady Vols all we like but our branding will be and become more consistent thus building our brand....on the espn ticker we won't see an akward blue and orange logo showing Tennessee playing Stanford in woman's basketball, we will see the power T. This denotes that we (our entire volnation) is playing not just the lady vol off shoot of our brand!
Complete and utter BS. You sound like a shill for the AD. The Lady Vols are respected and known everywhere. No matter where I travel I see both Tennessee and also Lady Vol gear. The Lady Vol brand is the most recognizable women's brand in sports. It's stupid to change it.

The term Lady Vols is something of a women's basketball brand, I'll admit--but it is an antiquated, outdated term. It sounds like something out of the 1950s.

This, is honestly well over due. First the logo is dated by 30 years. Second why was this piece of sexism put into place anyways, shouldn't we all be known as one Tennessee and not segregated out by male or female sports. . .

Have you looked at the Tennessee athletic website? When you click on sports to see a list the first thing you see is a breakdown into Men's sports and Women's sports. How much more segregated can you get? And , since when is a term of respect, and yes, I am talking about the word Lady, sexist?

I happen to know a player who played for Pat in the days when it was still called Tennessee Women's basketball. She proudly accepts designation as a Tennessee Lady Vol and believes, as I do, that every female athlete is truly a Lady Vol.

Jim

The term Lady Vols is something of a women's basketball brand, I'll admit--but it is an antiquated, outdated term. It sounds like something out of the 1950s.

No, it's out of the '70s. Softball & track made it a fierce brand also, but it is predominately Summitt's character wrapped up in that brand. It's a good brand, a positive for UT.

Reactions: 3 people
I wish people would drop the "Bama Dave" stuff. Hart sucks, but it doesn't have anything to do with where he came from. David Cutcliffe is a Bama alum too. I guess he should've never been on a UT payroll.
Good point, I guess for many it's just too easy to dis 'bama. Cutcliffe is admirable, always thought of him as a Tennessee guy (or now Duke by default:))
Maybe we should try FSU Dave. That seems to be a univeristy that everyone can hate equally. (And we could get Stevieboy to tell us the true meaning of the F, S, and U.)

Hmm,, let's look....

@LadyVol_Soccer

@LadyVol_Softball

@LadyVol_Tennis

@LadyVol_Golf

@LadyVol_Vball

You're right, none of them go by Lady Vols....:thud: Ever been to a "lady Vol" game other than basketball? They ALL go by Lady Vols

Not as of next July.

Get over it.

:shades:

again, as I posted on the other thread, I'll be happy to sign it when it is corrected. It currently states that all women's sports will lose the Lady Vols name, and my understanding is that BB is exempted.

If I'm wrong, I will happily accept any info.

It doesn't help to have a Change.org petition with such a big inaccuracy, and I know that they can be edited by the originator. :hi:

As long as we got the Lady Vols basketball I am fine. I don't watch much women's golf, track and field, soccer, or tennis. I like the softball team can get used to calling them Vols I guess need the basketball team to stay ladies.

VN Store

Back