Dave Hart and the Lady Vols logo

CannonVol80

I have been out of town and just got our season tickets. Anyone who still believes that Dave Hart isn't actively working to eliminate the Lady Vol logo is, in my opinion, seriously deluded. I actually had to look twice to see the Lady Vol logo on the Lady Vol season tickets! 1/4x1/4 inch in the lower left hand corner of each ticket.

I have no problem with recognizing that we are talking about the Tennessee Lady Vols, but I feel that the Lady Vols brand is an important part of the legacy and the character of the program. Frankly, I think that it helps set us apart from other programs. And, as I have said repeatedly in the past, when you have to differentiate between men's and women's teams, I do not understand the resistance to referring to your female student-athletes as ladies.

I think what I find most offensive about this campaign is the public insistence that Hart supports the use of the Lady Vol logo and brand and the subtle and continual erosion of the use of the logo. Last season was the first time that I have seen the cheerleaders at the Lady Vols basketball games wearing uniforms without the Lady Vol logo for a majority of the games. The programs, which used to prominently feature the Lady Vol logo, now have the Lady Vol logo relegated to a small corner or placed on the back of the program.

I'm not sure if the Athletic Department, headed by Dave Hart, thinks I am too stupid to notice the slow erosion of the use of the logo, but I certainly intend to make my recognition of and displeasure at this tactic known. I would hope that those of you who feel that the Lady Vol logo is an important part of the program would join me in expressing a desire that the Lady Vol logo be returned to a place of prominence. And, please understand, I am not advocating the elimination of the Tennessee aspect of the Tennessee Lady Vols. Simply a recognition that they are, in fact, the Tennessee Lady Vols!

Jim

Reactions: 13 people
They are VOLS! Do we need to put Gentleman Vols as a logo on mens sports! Really who cares, just win at whatever sport it is mens or womens. I root for all VOLS in any and every sport, heck if we had a tiddley winks team I would root for them as long as they wear the O & W. GO VOLS.

Reactions: 9 people
I have been out of town and just got our season tickets. Anyone who still believes that Dave Hart isn't actively working to eliminate the Lady Vol logo is, in my opinion, seriously deluded. I actually had to look twice to see the Lady Vol logo on the Lady Vol season tickets! 1/4x1/4 inch in the lower left hand corner of each ticket.

I have no problem with recognizing that we are talking about the Tennessee Lady Vols, but I feel that the Lady Vols brand is an important part of the legacy and the character of the program. Frankly, I think that it helps set us apart from other programs. And, as I have said repeatedly in the past, when you have to differentiate between men's and women's teams, I do not understand the resistance to referring to your female student-athletes as ladies.

I think what I find most offensive about this campaign is the public insistence that Hart supports the use of the Lady Vol logo and brand and the subtle and continual erosion of the use of the logo. Last season was the first time that I have seen the cheerleaders at the Lady Vols basketball games wearing uniforms without the Lady Vol logo for a majority of the games. The programs, which used to prominently feature the Lady Vol logo, now have the Lady Vol logo relegated to a small corner or placed on the back of the program.

I'm not sure if the Athletic Department, headed by Dave Hart, thinks I am too stupid to notice the slow erosion of the use of the logo, but I certainly intend to make my recognition of and displeasure at this tactic known. I would hope that those of you who feel that the Lady Vol logo is an important part of the program would join me in expressing a desire that the Lady Vol logo be returned to a place of prominence. And, please understand, I am not advocating the elimination of the Tennessee aspect of the Tennessee Lady Vols. Simply a recognition that they are, in fact, the Tennessee Lady Vols!

Jim

You ever chain yourself to anything? :unsure:

Reactions: 1 person
I have acquaintances that are Lady Vol fans, but never show any sign of support for our men's teams. Cannot understand it. Likewise, I have a difficult time with Vol fans who do not support all of our women's teams. I support all Vol teams, without regard to gender.

Reactions: 8 people
Our Women's bball program is our most prestigious sports program. I sincerely doubt Hart is dumb enough to remove that kind of history.

The men and women athletic programs merged in 2012. They decided to use Vols in more Lady Vols apparel to signify unity, however they'll never get rid of Lady Vols logo completely. It's just becoming more secondary now. I prefer that they all just be called Vols

It should be just VOLS. We're all about equality now right?

Yeah how well is going for our country.. Its ok to be different n have an identity..

Beside everything being the same results in nothing..which is where all of our sports programs are at.. Nothing...

One logo is enough. I really support the LV basketball over the men's teams because they are always in the hunt. The same with softball over the baseball team. One logo is enough, but I am not getting stressed out if it is 2. JUST WIN BABY WIN.

KEEP the LADY VOL logo! because they ain't men vols, dammit! Except for a couple who won't be mentioned.... lol

Reactions: 2 people
The logo isn't going anywhere. That was part of Debbie Jennings' lawsuit.

What does the logo have to do with a personnel issue?

More generally, the term "Lady Vols" is, to me, antiquated. All of our sports teams are just the Vols--I don't like the idea of specifying that they are "ladies." It's silly. It has been used a long time, I know, and older female fans are attached to it. But it feels like an old-fashioned term. Besides, women want and deserve equal treatment with men, so why make a point of calling a team "ladies."

What does the logo have to do with a personnel issue?

More generally, the term "Lady Vols" is, to me, antiquated. All of our sports teams are just the Vols--I don't like the idea of specifying that they are "ladies." It's silly. It has been used a long time, I know, and older female fans are attached to it. But it feels like an old-fashioned term. Besides, women want and deserve equal treatment with men, so why make a point of calling a team "ladies."

Because it's the brand. They are the Lady Vols. It has nothing to do with being old fashioned or out dated. When women come to play at Tennessee, they know they will be a Lady Vol, and are proud of it.

The logo was included in the lawsuit because the lawsuit as a whole was about the women's athletic department being made into a lesser entity, even though they are outperforming the men. The logo was used as an example. It was said, IIRC, that the logo would remain.

Reactions: 6 people
Because it's the brand. They are the Lady Vols. It has nothing to do with being old fashioned or out dated. When women come to play at Tennessee, they know they will be a Lady Vol, and are proud of it.

The logo was included in the lawsuit because the lawsuit as a whole was about the women's athletic department being made into a lesser entity, even though they are outperforming the men. The logo was used as an example. It was said, IIRC, that the logo would remain.

Yeah they make a more money having two separate LOGOS and that's what having two logos is about.

Males - donate more than women

Males - on the average never support women's sports . if you doubt note how many men drift over into this forum and have a need to make a negative comment.

The LV's women's logo was a significant difference maker when the LVs basketball team was at the top. PHS was better known than anyone else at the University and and and.

The decision to reduce toward eliminate the logo will come from one of the big donors who will be male. Big donors are making decisions at all levels of commerce, politics and sports.

I write this as a person who lived for 30 years in K'ville but did not graduate from UTn and only attended/ supported the LVs.

Thanks, Jim. Our giving to athletics has declined, and with Hart in the forefront will probably continue declining. When all become "equal" the women will become "inferior" IMO. And as far as all "just Vols".....are we all "just Americans"? And as to Ladys...maybe too many have forgotton how to act...which is just fine, gives Florida more recruiting ammo to use against us. And thanks to all the support for when we win, it's needed more in the tough times than the good, but it's great to have those "supporters" around to enjoy the good times with those of us who support the Ladys, and Men, through the hard times.

Before the departments merge, I bet the women's side was hemorrhaging money. The men's side probably bailed out the women a lot of times. I hate to say it, but women's sports are inferior to men's sports. Women's best sport could not beat out football. I'm for the lady vols, but they don't make much money or get as much attention. I personally wish they did, because they should be treated equal. I watch women's softball also.

Before the departments merge, I bet the women's side was hemorrhaging money. The men's side probably bailed out the women a lot of times. I hate to say it, but women's sports are inferior to men's sports. Women's best sport could not beat out football. I'm for the lady vols, but they don't make much money or get as much attention. I personally wish they did, because they should be treated equal. I watch women's softball also.
Football bails out ALL sports except basketball...men's AND women's. Until recent guidance by ADs, whose names start with an H, it also supported academics. What this has to do with the logo....? Nothing beats out football monetarily, but hate it or love it, Title IX is the law and as such women will have sports, unless you want to have no sports and an all academic university. Now there's a thought...a university only focusing on academics. Nah, never work.
Oh, and as to inferior...now you see why Title IX exists..."women's sports are inferior to men's sports". Pretty sweeping statement.

Last edited:
Football bails out ALL sports except basketball...men's AND women's. Until recent guidance by ADs, whose names start with an H, it also supported academics. What this has to do with the logo....? Nothing beats out football monetarily, but hate it or love it, Title IX is the law and as such women will have sports, unless you want to have no sports and an all academic university. Now there's a thought...a university only focusing on academics. Nah, never work.

Universities use to only focus on academics. It would actually work, but it wouldn't be popular. Title IX doesn't say that the ladies have to have their own special logo with that tacky blue. Women should have sports. They should be funded fully. They do not need to pay the trademark and copyright costs on a special logo, and they don't need to pay for a bunch of jobs that don't do anything.

Universities use to only focus on academics. It would actually work, but it wouldn't be popular. Title IX doesn't say that the ladies have to have their own special logo with that tacky blue. Women should have sports. They should be funded fully. They do not need to pay the trademark and copyright costs on a special logo, and they don't need to pay for a bunch of jobs that don't do anything.
Hope you never have to have a discussion where you need to stay on topic or use supporting data. That said, no more responses to anything you write. I value my time.

I hate to say it, but women's sports are inferior to men's sports.

I'm sorry, are you the arbiter of all sports? What exactly is your title?

If you are going to make a monumentally stupid comment like this, you better be able to articulate your points very, very well. Otherwise, I'll just "hate" to say something about your apparent cognitive level . . .

Why, exactly, are women's sports "inferior" to men's sports, in your opinion? Do you believe women to be somehow inferior to men? By stating the former, you imply the latter. You are probably one of those idiots who thinks telling someone that they are doing something "like a girl" is an insult. Am I right? The fact is, most of those "girls" would probably be happy to kick your misogynistic ass into next year, just to show you exactly what it means to do something like a girl.

Women's best sport could not beat out football.

Are you under the false impression that your opinion is equivalent to a fact? If so, might I suggest either a lesson in humility or a repeat of second grade? Both might be appropriate to cure the delusions under which you seem to be laboring.

Women's sports may not bring in as much money as football, but I'd a hell of a lot rather watch a women's basketball game than either a football game or men's basketball. I don't buy tickets to football games or men's basketball games, but I attend as many Lady Vols basketball games as possible. That's where my money is spent. Your opinion doesn't trump mine, nor does your money.

I'm for the lady vols, but they don't make much money or get as much attention. I personally wish they did, because they should be treated equal. I watch women's softball also.

Oh, the old fallacy of "I'm going to spend my entire comment bashing, demeaning, and diminishing you, but hey, I really, really like you. Friends?" *eye roll*

Reactions: 3 people

It actually has a very practical purpose. When I say UT basketball team to whom am I referring, the men's team or the women's team? We could say UT women's basketball team but that is hardly different in any significant way from saying the Lady Vols or Lady Vols basketball team. The latter already is iconic so it would be stupid to toss it for a generic equivalent.

They are VOLS! Do we need to put Gentleman Vols as a logo on mens sports! Really who cares, just win at whatever sport it is mens or womens. I root for all VOLS in any and every sport, heck if we had a tiddley winks team I would root for them as long as they wear the O & W. GO VOLS.

Totally how I feel.... don't care if it's badminton, whatever. . I will cheer and root, no matter what. Tennessee is Tennessee. Men's or women.

VN Store

Back