A Look At The Incoming Class

VN News

Meet the five Lady Vol basketball newcomers through the lens of UTAD photographer Andrew Bruckse.
media-icon-photogallery.gif
PHOTOS

More...

That's a good looking group of young ladies. They're going to be fun to watch the next four years. And, yes let's hope they can play too. Pretty sure they can.

I've said before, I think Kortney Dunbar is going to be the Sidney Spencer of this class.

I think that the most important attribute these young ladies can bring to the program is the attitude, expressed by each of them, that they hate to lose more than they love to win. I'm convinced that is an attitude that has been missing from the program for some time now.

Jiim

Reactions: 2 people
I've said before, I think Kortney Dunbar is going to be the Sidney Spencer of this class.

I think that the most important attribute these young ladies can bring to the program is the attitude, expressed by each of them, that they hate to lose more than they love to win. I'm convinced that is an attitude that has been missing from the program for some time now.

Jiim

that we had in our prime. We lack smarts and we lack toughness. I remain shocked by the way we folded not 10 minutes into the louisville game two years ago--a shocking display.

Reactions: 1 person
that we had in our prime. We lack smarts and we lack toughness. I remain shocked by the way we folded not 10 minutes into the louisville game two years ago--a shocking display.

Didn't show much toughness against Maryland either. Pat used to be tough for the team.

We only get to see four of them this season. The best player of the group has to sit out a season. Next year's team looks so awesome hopefully we will do well this season also. I have huge hopes for Nared. I think Tucker is a very good player have to see how she has overcome the injuries. The other two seem to be role players in a role we need very badly three point shooting.

We only get to see four of them this season. The best player of the group has to sit out a season. Next year's team looks so awesome hopefully we will do well this season also. I have huge hopes for Nared. I think Tucker is a very good player have to see how she has overcome the injuries. The other two seem to be role players in a role we need very badly three point shooting.

If you've ever seen video of Dunbar you'd know she's more than a role player.

If you've ever seen video of Dunbar you'd know she's more than a role player.

I've seen tons of video of her everything that is available. I still think her basic role will be to shoot the three and backup the starter. I believe she can grow into a full time player and starter want be this season and probably next either. I expect by her junior season she could be a major player or starter for the Lady Vols this season she is a role player I am hoping she can play herself in to fifteen minutes a game.

I've seen tons of video of her everything that is available. I still think her basic role will be to shoot the three and backup the starter. I believe she can grow into a full time player and starter want be this season and probably next either. I expect by her junior season she could be a major player or starter for the Lady Vols this season she is a role player I am hoping she can play herself in to fifteen minutes a game.

15 minutes per game behind Burdick, Nared and possibly Tucker/Jones will be hard at the wing. If she is strong enough to guard the post, they could certainly use her as Bashaara's backup. Tennessee is deadly thin (in depth and girth) at the low post this year. Any players that can provide productive minutes here will be much appreciated!

15 minutes per game behind Burdick, Nared and possibly Tucker/Jones will be hard at the wing. If she is strong enough to guard the post, they could certainly use her as Bashaara's backup. Tennessee is deadly thin (in depth and girth) at the low post this year. Any players that can provide productive minutes here will be much appreciated!

The one thing she is certainly better than any of those players is three point shooting. If she can play defense and take care of the ball on offense she will get 15 minutes because of her ability to score. I expect Tucker will play limited minutes as a backup at the two because of her knee. Burdick will play as much inside as she does on the perimeter. I expect Jones will also play more inside because she is an awful perimeter player unless she has improved dramatically over the summer.

The one thing she is certainly better than any of those players is three point shooting. If she can play defense and take care of the ball on offense she will get 15 minutes because of her ability to score. I expect Tucker will play limited minutes as a backup at the two because of her knee. Burdick will play as much inside as she does on the perimeter. I expect Jones will also play more inside because she is an awful perimeter player unless she has improved dramatically over the summer.

Nared is supposed to be a solid 3 pt shooter, isn't she?

Don't know a lot about Dunbar, but she doesn't look light on her feet. I don't see a natural perimeter defender. However, if she can play perimeter offense and post defense like Spencer used to, then she could be a really versatile option.

Add Burdick to your "unless she has improved dramatically over the summer" list. And she's the projected starter...ugh! I wish Holly would just let Nared learn trial by fire. Unless Burdick is a different player this year, she's just going to "produce" more of the same as last year.

Don't know a lot about Dunbar, but she doesn't look light on her feet. I don't see a natural perimeter defender. However, if she can play perimeter offense and post defense like Spencer used to, then she could be a really versatile option.

Add Burdick to your "unless she has improved dramatically over the summer" list. And she's the projected starter...ugh! I wish Holly would just let Nared learn trial by fire. Unless Burdick is a different player this year, she's just going to "produce" more of the same as last year.[/QUOTE

Nared is a fair three point shooter around 31 percent in high school. She is more of take a player off the dribble or hit the mid-range shot. She is deadly from 15 feet in loses something above that range. From what I have learned seems again that Moore want play much and that Burdick will play a lot of four to rest Graves and Harrison. Dunbar may not be able to guard anybody and that is the basic fear with her. She shot over 38 percent from the three in high school so she can help there. I think she will get 15 minutes a game if she can guard anybody. It is all up in the air with Tucker still not recovered completely from her knee injury. I look for Carter to get most of the time at the two Massengale and Reynolds at the one. We'll see what Holly does at the three I expect Nared could be the primary player there. I don't know what the plan is for Jones I am hoping she is far better with the ball passing etc than last year.
Holly says the only two sure starters are Harrison and Carter. I expect to see Burdick, Graves and Massengale join them and then from there minutes seem to be wide open for anyone to grab.

Add Burdick to your "unless she has improved dramatically over the summer" list. And she's the projected starter...ugh! I wish Holly would just let Nared learn trial by fire. Unless Burdick is a different player this year, she's just going to "produce" more of the same as last year.[/QUOTE

Nared is a fair three point shooter around 31 percent in high school. She is more of take a player off the dribble or hit the mid-range shot. She is deadly from 15 feet in loses something above that range. From what I have learned seems again that Moore want play much and that Burdick will play a lot of four to rest Graves and Harrison. Dunbar may not be able to guard anybody and that is the basic fear with her. She shot over 38 percent from the three in high school so she can help there. I think she will get 15 minutes a game if she can guard anybody. It is all up in the air with Tucker still not recovered completely from her knee injury. I look for Carter to get most of the time at the two Massengale and Reynolds at the one. We'll see what Holly does at the three I expect Nared could be the primary player there. I don't know what the plan is for Jones I am hoping she is far better with the ball passing etc than last year.
Holly says the only two sure starters are Harrison and Carter. I expect to see Burdick, Graves and Massengale join them and then from there minutes seem to be wide open for anyone to grab.

I saw that Nared was in one of the 3 pt shooting HS All Star games, so assumed she had some shooting range.

I'm surprised that Carter and Harrison were the two starters named. I personally like Carter better off the bench. With Simmons gone, I don't see the point of a shooting guard who doesn't like to shoot. I'd rather see Reynolds there, assuming she's improved her shooting percentage. At least she was willing to try to shoot.

Graves should be a lock to start. I really have high hopes for Nared...

Just reading everyone's thoughts (which I do enjoy), and it seems as if everyone agrees that the depth has improved, as well as the versatility. The most common concern, next to turnovers and/or skill set, seems to be the mental toughness of this team. Has anyone heard of any new techniques that the coaching staff might be using to improve the team in this area?

Just reading everyone's thoughts (which I do enjoy), and it seems as if everyone agrees that the depth has improved, as well as the versatility. The most common concern, next to turnovers and/or skill set, seems to be the mental toughness of this team. Has anyone heard of any new techniques that the coaching staff might be using to improve the team in this area?

They've gotten depth at the guard and wing spot in terms of bodies, but not a lot of proven results outside of Ariel.

They are super thin at post. There is no legitimate backup for Harrison if she gets in foul trouble or hurt.

While mental toughness has been an issue for years, I hope Holly has come up with a bunch of defensive schemes to keep Izzy out of foul trouble. Tennessee goes as Izzy goes.

Nia is legit! the coach is just too dumb to play her ... cause she hate beauty... :)

Nia is legit! the coach is just too dumb to play her ... cause she hate beauty... :)

How cretinous a comment can you make? Who are you to call someone dumb? No need to answer; the answer is obvious.:loco::loco::loco:

How cretinous a comment can you make? Who are you to call someone dumb? No need to answer; the answer is obvious.:loco::loco::loco:

cretin-a congenital disease due to absence or deficiency of normal thyroid secretion, characterized by physical deformity, dwarfism, and mental retardation, and often by goiter.

If they could have put 20 pounds on Nia she would have been a factor. She has a good shooting stroke might play some minutes this season.

cretin-a congenital disease due to absence or deficiency of normal thyroid secretion, characterized by physical deformity, dwarfism, and mental retardation, and often by goiter.

Cretinous - adjective. Characteristic of a cretin; very stupid.
(comparative: more cretinous, superlative: most cretinous).

VN Store

Back