Lady Vols [finally!] heeding Warlick’s message

kamoshika

Tennessee guard Ariel Massengale says the Lady Vols are listening more closely to coach Holly Warlick this season.

The Lady Vols are hoping that extra attention helps them earn the Final Four bid that has eluded them since their 2008 national championship season. Tennessee opened practice Monday with most of the nucleus back from a team that went 29-6 and reached a regional semifinal last season.

“Everything the coaches have been talking to us and preaching to us since we’ve had this new coaching staff, we’re finally taking heed to it,” Massengale said. “We’re finally putting it into action. They’re very happy about that, and we’re very happy about that. (We’re) understanding now that what they say to do, we have to do it.

Lady Vols heeding Warlick

Whew! That's a relief! Now we have no excuses for getting pissed this year when we fail to defend penetration to the bucket! :thumbsup:

Reactions: 1 person
Tennessee guard Ariel Massengale says the Lady Vols are listening more closely to coach Holly Warlick this season.

The Lady Vols are hoping that extra attention helps them earn the Final Four bid that has eluded them since their 2008 national championship season. Tennessee opened practice Monday with most of the nucleus back from a team that went 29-6 and reached a regional semifinal last season.

“Everything the coaches have been talking to us and preaching to us since we’ve had this new coaching staff, we’re finally taking heed to it,” Massengale said. “We’re finally putting it into action. They’re very happy about that, and we’re very happy about that. (We’re) understanding now that what they say to do, we have to do it.

No mention of Jannah Tucker in the article, is she not expected to help this year?

So, another way of saying this is that players have simply ignored the coaching staff and done what ever pleased them? But now, they're willing to implement the coaches' plans.

This is hard to hear that they have been ignoring the coach for two seasons. I don't think I would like hearing this if I was the coach. Second the coach should be able to realize they are not doing what she said and on the bench they go. Hopefully we'll see better play this season a lot of defensive breakdowns last season.

It is possible that this "heeding the coach" talk is in response to Meighan Simmons no longer being on the team. Perhaps she was somewhat of a disruptive figure for the Vols.

It is possible that this "heeding the coach" talk is in response to Meighan Simmons no longer being on the team. Perhaps she was somewhat of a disruptive figure for the Vols.

She was out of control but I don't know about disruptive.....she still comes back and helps out with camps and such. She seems very well liked.

For all her faults, at least Simmons was ready to play. She was willing to win or lose the game, and take ownership of it.

Izzy and Ariel are the only two players on the roster who also have this attitude.

If Simmons is around helping the team practice, I hope that she imparts some of her fearlessness on the team. Yeah, I know she had her share of bad games where she shot Tennessee out of games, but I'd rather see players who are not afraid to fail instead of those who are afraid to play (most of the team excluding the aforementioned 3).

Simmons has shouldered a lot of the blame over the last 4 years (including from me), but she's going to be seriously missed. She was never afraid to take the shot, miss or make. Who's going to fill that gap this year?

From reading and hearing what Ariel said, I think the response Ariel should have used was, "Oh, We heard Holly, we just weren't sure she meant what she said". It takes time for players to look at someone who use to be in their corner and now is removed by being the head coach. Just remember back how Holly had to advise/console these girls after Pat jumped down their throats.

Last edited:
Holly is easy to like, wants to be liked, and I think that is a problem with her as a head coach. The best basketball coaches strike a little fear in their players. You need that fear and respect factor--it makes players want to play well and do everything necessary to avoid incurring your wrath. I'm not sure our players look at Holly that way. I think she tries to be tough, but in fact she really isn't. It's not a fault, it's just her personality. Players develop a very good sense of the coach and what s/he is like at root--and if they don't fear you a little, you probably aren't going to get the best out of them, and you are probably going to have a team that's a little soft, IMO.

Reactions: 2 people
i think you hit the nail on the head armchair,she is going from the one that the players went to after uuuh a mild talk with CPS and was the one that smoothed things over,to be the one in charge,that is hard to do,it seems it may finally be starting to work now,hopefully

From reading and hearing what Ariel said, I think the response Ariel should have used was, "Oh, We heard Holly, we just weren't sure she meant what she said". It takes time for players to look at someone who use to be in their corner and now is removed by being the head coach. Just remember back how Holly had to advise/console these girls after Pat jumped down their throats.

That would explain the team not playing as tough as in years past. They appear to not have much resolve when the going gets tough. You can't be their buddy as a hc. I hope we play with some more grit this year.

Holly is easy to like, wants to be liked, and I think that is a problem with her as a head coach. The best basketball coaches strike a little fear in their players. You need that fear and respect factor--it makes players want to play well and do everything necessary to avoid incurring your wrath. I'm not sure our players look at Holly that way. I think she tries to be tough, but in fact she really isn't. It's not a fault, it's just her personality. Players develop a very good sense of the coach and what s/he is like at root--and if they don't fear you a little, you probably aren't going to get the best out of them, and you are probably going to have a team that's a little soft, IMO.

I know. Do you remember that game we lost last year that our players quit trying very early in 2nd half? I can't remember the opponent, but the team had about 3 or 4 steals and none of our girls hustled back, they just watched them hit a layup. They even missed one of the lay ups, but since no one was running bAck, another player just put it back in. Holly was praising their effort in the press conference. I thought wow, you must of been watching another game on your phone, because effort was in poor supply.

i just reread the article and guess who is missing ? that would be one coach
Pat Summit, I do hate what is happening to her,has anybody heard how she is doing so far ?

VN Store

Back