90s/00's Women's College Basketball Games on YouTube

bballnut90

Hi all,
I've started a youtube channel where I'm planning to upload all of my old basketball games that I have on VHS. I used to be a regular on the Summitt until it went to subscription only. Many of these games were provided to me by other posters on the Summitt over the years, so a big thanks to everyone who helped out.

Thought this would be a great way to allow some newer fans to see some older women's basketball games from the 90s and early 2000s and relive some great games that have happened in the past. So far I've converted about 15-20 games to digital files and will eventually upload all of these videos on to YouTube (unless they are eventually taken down due to copyright violations....so if you see something you like, I recommend downloading an app that will allow you to save YouTube videos to your computer so you can keep them yourself).

Here's the link to the youtube page:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC0x2e_HQT-JvuCByppzjYAg/videos

In the first batch there are several games from Holdsclaw/Catchings days. There are a lot of Tennessee games that will be uploaded as well, including many Tennessee-Connecticut matchups. If you're interested in seeing some old Tennessee games, I highly suggest subscribing to the channel, as I'll be adding more and more over the next few months (I still have 2 giant boxes of tapes I need to go through and upload).

I'm also looking to add in more games to watch on my own and upload, so if anyone has any of the following games and would be willing to share (either send me the tapes to copy or send me copies) it would be greatly appreciated! Games I'm looking to add are:
1995 semifinals (both Tennessee/Georgia and Connecticut/Stanford)
1996 Semifinal (Stanford/Georgia)
1997 Semifinals and Championship
1998 UCONN-Tennessee
Any game with Chamique Holdsclaw/Becky Hammon/Jackie Stiles
Any Georgia game with The Miller Twins
Any Penn State game with Kelly Mazzante
1998 Regionals
1999 Regionals
2000 Regionals
2001 Regionals
Any regular season UCONN game from 1999-2001
Notre Dame games from 2001 season
2004 Duke-UCONN
2011 Notre Dame-UCONN Final Four

Please PM me if you have any of these old games and would be willing to help out, thanks!

Reactions: 6 people
I did post on there. Thanks for doing this!

Any chance you have the 2001 TN/UConn game in Knoxville?

Thank you! And I do, here is the link:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQcPM3E8co8

I saw, thanks for that! If you have the 1998 UConn/Tennessee game, that would be great too. I did notice that you have one game mislabeled. The 1997 TN UConn game is actually the 1996 NC game between TN and Georgia.

A poster on the Summitt said he had tons of tapes too, and would be willing to send if you paid for shipping I think. I will check if you would like for me to?

Any chance you have the 1980 AIAW National Championship game against Old Dominion? Thanks.

great thread!

Will have to watch some games after I get back from the dentist today.... Wifey found out I had skipped 2 cleanings in a row and is hand delivering me to their doorstep today... lol :(

I saw, thanks for that! If you have the 1998 UConn/Tennessee game, that would be great too. I did notice that you have one game mislabeled. The 1997 TN UConn game is actually the 1996 NC game between TN and Georgia.

A poster on the Summitt said he had tons of tapes too, and would be willing to send if you paid for shipping I think. I will check if you would like for me to?

Yes, please! Can you tell him to send me an email at bballnut90@yahoo.com? And I will relabel that one today. I might have the 1998 game in one of the 2 boxes that will be coming, still unsure though. I have more from the 1998 season that I will upload later on this week.

Many years ago I boxed and sent my tapes to BallNut never expecting that a u-tube would come along and have them reappear.

Question: did Styles ever play against the LVs. I know she was "almost" a signee. Now is Assistant Coach with Jolly.

And the Georgia Twins - yet another memory.

and now 20 games a year.

I do not have this one unfortunately, besides a handful of games from the 80s, everything I have is 90s/00s.

Bummer! I was just recently reminiscing the match ups of Warlick/Leiberman, Noble/Donovan, and Rankin/Nissen.

IIRC that championship was shown tape delay...

Many years ago I boxed and sent my tapes to BallNut never expecting that a u-tube would come along and have them reappear.

Question: did Styles ever play against the LVs. I know she was "almost" a signee. Now is Assistant Coach with Jolly.

And the Georgia Twins - yet another memory.

and now 20 games a year.

I don't think Stiles ever played against Tennessee. Didn't know she was almost a commit. Tennessee in 1998 and 1999 had 3 All-Americans (The Meeks) who had point guard ball handling skills, could break you down off the dribble and hit the midrange/perimeter shot. I can't think of any other team in NCAA history that presented such a unique matchup challenge, as many other teams have had 2 inside/outside threats (UCONN with Montgomery/Moore, Taurasi/Cash, Ralph/Abrosimova) but never 3. If Stiles had chosen Tennessee, they would've have 4 players who could handle the ball and score from anywhere on the court, that line up would have been insane.

Tennessee defensively was not nearly as sound in 1999 as they were in 1998, so when Duke caught them with a couple players ill and a poor shooting night, they were able to pull off the upset.

enjoyed watching 2 game replays today! Still was getting on to the refs though! :)

Thanks for posting this & letting us Vols Fans watch those good ole games from the past. BTW, I hope all I see of these games are the ones that the Lady Vols win. I enjoyed that UT vs UConn 2001 game posted link.

OMG! Love what you're doing!
I had tons of Lady Vols tapes that I recorded eapecially during the Chamique Holdsclaw era, from 98 on. Will have to see if I can find them at my parents place. Hoping they're all still there.

There's a few particular games I am looking for...hoping you have it or come across it.

In 1998 there was a regular season game vs uconn, on CBS. They played 4 quarters during this game. Lady Vols got the W! Nykesha Sales vs Chamique Holdsclaw! Great game.

In 1999 they played a regular season game at uconn, I recall Semeka Randall getting into it with some other Uconn player & the crowd was booing her! Thats how she got one of her nicknames, Semeka 'Boo' Randall!

Last game was in 2000 or 2001 Lady Vols versus Uconn. This was the year Tamika had a season ending knee injury. Lady Vols without their best player, Gwen Jackson & co stepped up! Jackson had a huge game & we pulled off the upset!

Ahhhh...so many great memories.

Reactions: 2 people
imho, these old games were so much better played than today's version with the shot clock & no murder no foul rules....

imho, these old games were so much better played than today's version with the shot clock & no murder no foul rules....

The one thing that sticks out to me when rewatching these games is how fast tempo we used to play. Randall/Catchings/Holdsclaw could get up and down the court faster the anyone, and the minute someone grabbed a rebound they looked up court for the outlet pass. For the last decade or so, Tennessee has become a half court oriented team but without offensive execution. Outside of Parker and Simmons (depending on if she's on or off), UT hasn't had anyone who can take their defender 1 on 1 and beat them.

I had forgotten how good Holdsclaw was.
Loved her. She's had a hard life; hope everything goes well for her in the future. She was so much fun to watch. Except her last game, crying in Pat's arms. Still makes me sick to remember it. They were robbed.

if you think you'll have copywrite issues with YouTube why not create your own website. I dont know what it takes to start a site but it would be cool

I've been watching these games over the past several days. Thanks so much for posting them!

Hopefully you can get your hands on the 1997 FF games. :)

VN Store

Back