Basketball lineup questions...

armchair

Warlick's challenge offensively this year is to find the right players for the 2, 3, 4 positions--shooting guard, small forward and power forward.

Carter really HAS to play the 2 (shooting guard) spot this year. She's smart, athletic, a good defender and experienced. She played a lot of PG last year in Massengale's absence, but Mass will be back at point guard unless Warlick makes a radical decision and decides to switch the two. I don't see that happening has Carter can more naturally defend the opponents shooting guard from the two spot.

The 3 position looks to be completely up in the air. It seems destined to go to a new kid, no--either Tucker, Nared, Dunbar. If not one of those three, maybe Burdick.

If I'm Warlick, I have Graves and Jones battle it out for the 4 (power forward spot). Or maybe it is those two and Burdick--a three-way battle. Or maybe Warlick opts to let Graves and Burdick compete for the 4 and puts Jones at the 3.

That would be a mistake, IMO. Jones is too turnover prone to play away from the basket. Put her closer and her decent turnaround jumper from 6-12/14 feet and her hops for rebounding can be an asset. I'd push her to take the position and bring Graves off the bench, unless Graves really shows improvement in her all-around game this year. It's not that Jones doesn't need a lot of work, but she's got more potential, in my view. Maybe they both play when Harrison is resting.

Can anybody see Burdick, Jones and Graves all playing at the same time? I can't--they've all got positives but they are all quite erratic.

Figuring out the right personnel packages and developing offensive chemistry so that we can score consistently and defend will be huge, as it is for every coach every year. Good luck!

Warlick's challenge offensively this year is to find the right players for the 2, 3, 4 positions--shooting guard, small forward and power forward.

Carter really HAS to play the 2 (shooting guard) spot this year. She's smart, athletic, a good defender and experienced. She played a lot of PG last year in Massengale's absence, but Mass will be back at point guard unless Warlick makes a radical decision and decides to switch the two. I don't see that happening has Carter can more naturally defend the opponents shooting guard from the two spot.

The 3 position looks to be completely up in the air. It seems destined to go to a new kid, no--either Tucker, Nared, Dunbar. If not one of those three, maybe Burdick.

If I'm Warlick, I have Graves and Jones battle it out for the 4 (power forward spot). Or maybe it is those two and Burdick--a three-way battle. Or maybe Warlick opts to let Graves and Burdick compete for the 4 and puts Jones at the 3.

That would be a mistake, IMO. Jones is too turnover prone to play away from the basket. Put her closer and her decent turnaround jumper from 6-12/14 feet and her hops for rebounding can be an asset. I'd push her to take the position and bring Graves off the bench, unless Graves really shows improvement in her all-around game this year. It's not that Jones doesn't need a lot of work, but she's got more potential, in my view. Maybe they both play when Harrison is resting.

Can anybody see Burdick, Jones and Graves all playing at the same time? I can't--they've all got positives but they are all quite erratic.

Figuring out the right personnel packages and developing offensive chemistry so that we can score consistently and defend will be huge, as it is for every coach every year. Good luck!
My five is almost the same. You have to play Massengale at the one from the senior leader aspect. It's really a lose-lose situation though. If you play Carter at the one you have the best defensive player in, but the offense will suffer because she's not aggressive on offense. But then there's Massengale whose aggressive on offense, but lacks the defensive intensity.

At the the 2, I would start Jordan. She was really coming into her own the latter part of year. I could see her being the most improved player next year.

The three will be Burdick. UT has this thing in playing seniors and not the best person at the position.

The four is Basharra. If she's 100% healthy and get back the intensity she had her freshman year, then there's no way you cannot start her.

But the only way Burdick, Graves, and Jas play together is if Jas comes in to give Izzy a break. Or if Izzy is in foul trouble. Tucker would be coming in for Burdick and Nared for Graves.

Sidenote:If Burdick doesn't produce this year. She will become the most overrated and over-hyped player in UT history.

Nared ? you must be kidding? She has no game.....

"pulls up chair, grabs popcorn & soda.."

I think we have to hope that Nia Moore has improved she is the tallest player we have other that Izzy that is available this season. I am expecting to see Burdick play a lot of four. I am hoping that Tucker and Nared are ready to help big time. I am hoping Carter has more confidence in her shot and will let them fly without hesitation this season.
My rotation looks like this:

PG-Massengale, Reynolds, Middleton
SG-Carter, Tucker, Middleton
C-Harrison, Moore
PF-Graves, Burdick, Jones
WF-Nared, Jones, Dunbar

I am sincerely hoping that Jones, Izzy,and Burdick have improved their floor game. We start making a lot of silly turnovers like last season this season goes down fast. We need big time play from the freshmen hoping Nared is a big time player from game one. I'm sure I'm wrong about Nared starting will probably be Jones or Tucker we can go a lot of combinations.

Next season is the huge one for us we get what is certainly the top additions in the nation with Russell redshirting she should be upper body strong hopefully her foot problem is corrected. Deshields wow how would everybody feel if she was able to play this season. Me Me Jackson a lock down defender who also can score. Tea Cooper she will be our starting point guard from day one she gets here I believe. Hopefully we add a post to this list on paper our talent level will match anybody JMO.

I think we have to hope that Nia Moore has improved she is the tallest player we have other that Izzy that is available this season. I am expecting to see Burdick play a lot of four. I am hoping that Tucker and Nared are ready to help big time. I am hoping Carter has more confidence in her shot and will let them fly without hesitation this season.
My rotation looks like this:

PG-Massengale, Reynolds, Middleton
SG-Carter, Tucker, Middleton
C-Harrison, Moore
PF-Graves, Burdick, Jones
WF-Nared, Jones, Dunbar

I am sincerely hoping that Jones, Izzy,and Burdick have improved their floor game. We start making a lot of silly turnovers like last season this season goes down fast. We need big time play from the freshmen hoping Nared is a big time player from game one. I'm sure I'm wrong about Nared starting will probably be Jones or Tucker we can go a lot of combinations.

Warlick started Burdick the majority of the games at the 3. Why do you think that will change.

From an outsider point of view, I think the starting lineup will be Massengale, Carter, Burdick, Graves and Harrison.

An excellent team. Top 5 starting lineup. If the freshman can contribute off the bench, and Massengale can stay healthy, you have a possible final four team.

Reactions: 1 person
Warlick started Burdick the majority of the games at the 3. Why do you think that will change.

From an outsider point of view, I think the starting lineup will be Massengale, Carter, Burdick, Graves and Harrison.

An excellent team. Top 5 starting lineup. If the freshman can contribute off the bench, and Massengale can stay healthy, you have a possible final four team.

I agree this is a pretty good starting lineup, but a Final Four team they absotively are not.

Ddaddy of UConn, Burdick has had a reluctance to shoot the ball in sometimes less than critical situations. In critical times she has found ways to not shoot at all.

We are only speculating starting 5, but could you imagine the reaction Geno would have at a player that is gun shy at the moment of truth. I'm sure I agree with you. They would find their butt on the bench, or worse. She has worn many of us fans out.

Our team, by mid November, will have a good pecking order of the rotation of the starting 5. However, the starting 5 will be fluid...

Based on the athleticism of this squad, the full court press should be a standard mode of operation, which will allow most of the players to get plenty of minutes. It has been a long time since we have had so many 3 point shooters, may be a good thing.

By the way Doggy, UConn looks solid as usual. A great group of girls that do your school proud.

Ddaddy of UConn, Burdick has had a reluctance to shoot the ball in sometimes less than critical situations. In critical times she has found ways to not shoot at all.

We are only speculating starting 5, but could you imagine the reaction Geno would have at a player that is gun shy at the moment of truth. I'm sure I agree with you. They would find their butt on the bench, or worse. She has worn many of us fans out.

Our team, by mid November, will have a good pecking order of the rotation of the starting 5. However, the starting 5 will be fluid...

Based on the athleticism of this squad, the full court press should be a standard mode of operation, which will allow most of the players to get plenty of minutes. It has been a long time since we have had so many 3 point shooters, may be a good thing.

By the way Doggy, UConn looks solid as usual. A great group of girls that do your school proud.

If you assume that Massengale, Carter, Graves and Harrison are the starters than you have Burdick, Nared, Dunbar, Tucker, Middleton, Jones, Reynold and Moore available to fill that fifth spot.

If Warlick plays 3 guards, it could be Reynolds, Middleton, Tucker.

If she plays a more traditional 3, it would be Burdick, Jones, Dunbar.

Warlick could go big and play Moore at the 5 and move Harrison to the 4 and Graves at the 3.

In my opinion Warlick likes the traditional 3 and will pick from Jones, Burdick and Dunbar.

If Jones has found a was to not turn over the ball and take bad shots, she might be the pick. The freshman Dunbar would have to blow Warlick away in preseason. Unlikely.

Based on the above and Warlick starting Burdick 25 time last year, I just can't see Burdick not starting.

Yeah, Uconn should be really good again. Just need to stay healthy.

Last edited:
If you assume that Massengale, Carter, Graves and Harrison are the starters than you have Burdick, Nared, Dunbar, Tucker, Middleton, Jones, Reynold and Moore available to fill that fifth spot.

Warlick could go big and play Moore at the 5 and move Harrison to the 4 and Graves at the 3.

In my opinion Warlick likes the traditional 3 and will pick from Jones, Burdick and Dunbar.

If Jones has found a was to not turn over the ball and take bad shots, she might be the pick. The freshman Dunbar would have to blow Warlick away in preseason. Unlikely.

Based on the above and Warlick starting Burdick 25 time last year, I just can't see Burdick not starting.

Burdick will most likely be the starter at the 3 spot...This will be due to her being a senior and experience, but there is a lot of talent coming from Nared and Dunbar behind her, that will give BUrdick a short leash on her performance, or lack of.

As I said earlier, there will most likely be a lot of quick substituting at all positions, but the 3 spot will be most interesting to me. I'm a huge fan of Dunbar's possibility. This girl is big and shoots 3's like they were short 10 footers. And as an added bonus, she is very pleasing to the eye.

Reactions: 1 person
Burdick will most likely be the starter at the 3 spot...This will be due to her being a senior and experience, but there is a lot of talent coming from Nared and Dunbar behind her, that will give BUrdick a short leash on her performance, or lack of.

As I said earlier, there will most likely be a lot of quick substituting at all positions, but the 3 spot will be most interesting to me. I'm a huge fan of Dunbar's possibility. This girl is big and shoots 3's like they were short 10 footers. And as an added bonus, she is very pleasing to the eye.

that is a wing/small forward position. she doesn't not have the quicks to create shots with the ball.

wow, tampa bay just got screwed by the refs, ****ing 10 second injury run off ended the game.. NFL sucks!

wow, tampa bay just got screwed by the refs, ****ing 10 second injury run off ended the game.. NFL sucks!

That was the right call....mike Evans should have fought to get to his feet so they could down the ball.

Burdick does a lot of things well. Good rebounder, good passer, good defender, and despite her shooting percentage she actually has a great midrange shot. Last year for whatever reason she couldn't buy a bucket at the start of the season and it seemed to kill her confidence for the rest of the year.

She isn't a player to create off the dribble and break down a defense and she never will be. But she doesn't have to be either. If she can start hitting that midrange shot again when our posts get doubled, and get some high/low passes down to Izzy/Graves she would help out the offense tremendously. With thin post depth she will probably play the high post a lot more in addition to wing, and that might not be a bad thing for her....

Reactions: 2 people
the fans were cheated by that ending... the NFL needs to stop that "run Off rule". imho

the fans were cheated by that ending... the NFL needs to stop that "run Off rule". imho

I disagree.....if the Bucs had a timeout then there would be no run off. It's unfair for the defense for a player to be injured or fake an injury to stop the clock to get the field goal unti on the field. Does it stink for the Bucs? Yes but still the right call.

I don't think Jones or Burdick is a traditional 3. They are both power forwards playing the wing out of necessity. Jones has the first step and ability to create her own shot needed of a wing, but lacks the ball handling and passing skills. Burdick has the ball handling and passing skills, but lacks the ability to create offense for herself and is a headcase. I'd rather see both of them at the "4" since there are some big guards (Tucker, Reynolds) who can shoot, a true "3" (Nared), and another tweener forward (Dunbar) with a consistent perimeter shot.

Intriguing big lineup you mention, but I would switch Moore and Harrison. Moore has no girth to play the 5 against most teams. Harrison is pretty scrawny as well, but at least she's aggressive. Graves is no 3. She can't shoot beyond 5 feet without thinking if she should take the shot for a good 5 seconds first. If she developed an semblance of a mid-range game, she will be much more difficult to defend than last year.

But UConn is pretty much a lock for 3 in a row...

VN Store

Back