Soccer team needs more composure

armchair

Team is young but needs to play with more poise and start getting better. Too many lost possessions with jittery first touches and nervous passes. And bad finishing against BYU. Our two best forwards botched good scoring opportunities. McClung, who will be a good player, had an excellent scoring chance, with the whole net in front of her, and didn't even force the keeper to make a save. Seemed like a shaky shot. Then in the second half, Wilkinson, who plays for the New Zealand national team and is supposed to be UT's best offensive player did the same. Got a good pass just outside the BYU box and instead of settling the ball and calmly whelping it into the net, as she had time to do, she opted to try a one-timer and, off-balance, futzed it badly over the net. Have to do better than that. Looks like Pensky is cranking up the recruiting, which we need, but also need to start playing better in midfield--the problem last year--and finishing better, also a consistent problem.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
Sadly, though not at all surprisingly, not a single comment after many hours from op. So, here goes:

Thanks for the analysis. I haven't been to see the ladies, but I hope to take my daughter (plays for her high school team) up to see them sometime this season. For anyone who doesn't know - admission is free.

AV

Should be able to see their game tonight online at wkusports.com. Impressed with Pensky's efforts and getting the fan base involved. I am outside of Athens, GA and because of distance and time I usually wind up taking my daughter to the games at UGA. They have a loud crowd but the team is not as plugged into the fanbase as we are at UT.

My daughter was impressed with the open house at Regal a few weeks back and was ready to commit at the age of 12. Now if I can just get her a soccer shirt....

I am going to try and watch them play UVA a week from today. The Cavaliers probably will be the best team UT plays all year. Strong competition should only make us better.

Billions of fans worldwide disagree. So, you know, there's that.

AV

If I lived in Ecuador or Chili or someplace like that, maybe. But the statement on the board is the UT soccer team, and there is Free Admission. As it is in all colleges across the land. Nobody gives a rats behind about it. Nobody Is Paying To Watch it here.

In the words of Pat Summitt in her book...... "I don't understand how people can get so excited when you almost score" referring to Tyler playing soccer when she went to his first game.

Reactions: 1 person
Actually rok etop, the advent of free admission to soccer at Tennessee is a recent development. And, unless it is something that has come about at other schools in the recent past, also, I can personally attest to the fact that other schools charge to attend soccer matches. As one who had season tickets to UT Soccer before the building of the "new" stands at the Regal Soccer stadium, a personal opinion is that the new bleachers simply do not have the same fan-friendly appeal that the old bleachers had and that (along with a drop-off in the quality of play of the team) resulted in reduced attendance. It may be that the free admission is an attempt to counter this trend.

Jim

I gotta admit, soccer has always been tough for me to watch. But those kids are amazing athletes.

If I lived in Ecuador or Chili or someplace like that, maybe. But the statement on the board is the UT soccer team, and there is Free Admission. As it is in all colleges across the land. Nobody gives a rats behind about it. Nobody Is Paying To Watch it here.

In the words of Pat Summitt in her book...... "I don't understand how people can get so excited when you almost score" referring to Tyler playing soccer when she went to his first game.

in popularity--check out MLS. Don't come on a thread and denigrate a sport--it just proves that's you're a stupid troll.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back