First Impression: Alexa Middleton

VN News

In the Tennessee women's basketball "First Impression" spotlight this week is Alexa Middleton, a 5-foot-9 guard from Murfreesboro, Tenn.
video_icon.png
VIDEO | BIO

More...

Reactions: 5 people
I think she will have some big games for us she can really shoot the three when open all we got to do is get her the ball and an open shot.

This team has definitely upgraded their three point shooting. I think Middleton is going to be outstanding. They could be a Final Four team. I think Simmons moving on is actually going to help this team.

Reactions: 2 people
This squad has the makings to be very good.....When the pecking order is established at several positions, we will have a better idea of their abilities.

The large roster will allow Holly to play a very up tempo game.....Many players will see the floor....

No one has any way of really knowing how good or bad they will be.

Reactions: 1 person
There is a lot of talent--but there are questions. I question the coaching staff, for starters. Warlick has done some good things on the recruiting front but have not been impressed by the coaching. Team needs more toughness. Beyond that, both the man defense and the half-court offense HAVE to get better. Tougher man defense, more efficient offense (meaning better passing, which translates into more assists and fewer turnovers). Graves and Jones have to get their act together--this is year three for those two. It's hard to be good offensively if you've got players who don't know what they are doing with the basketball.

Reactions: 1 person
This team has definitely upgraded their three point shooting.

Middleton shot 35% from the three point line for the season last year against lesser competition. IIRC that would have been the worst percentage on the team for the Lady Vols. I think both Burdick and Simmons shot about 36%.

Unless she got a lot better then I expect her to only shoot worse at this level... at least until she adjusts to the level play. And it is really questionable if she can create her own shot.

Reactions: 2 people
We can only wait and see if Middleton has the athleticism and game to be successful at this level. It's a big jump. There is a lot more to being a good basketball player than making uncontested shots. We've had three or or four shooters in recent years who turned out to be one-dimensional and simply not good enough overall to help the Vols win a title. You see a lot of players who have some skills but not enough athleticism and others with athleticism but not the fundamental skills or basketball IQ. There aren't that many with the total package.

Middleton shot 35% from the three point line for the season last year against lesser competition. IIRC that would have been the worst percentage on the team for the Lady Vols. I think both Burdick and Simmons shot about 36%.

Unless she got a lot better then I expect her to only shoot worse at this level... at least until she adjusts to the level play. And it is really questionable if she can create her own shot.

l think she's worked on improving her three point shooting. In an interview before the McDonald's game she talked about how she has been shooting 500 three point shots a day.

l think she's worked on improving her three point shooting. In an interview before the McDonald's game she talked about how she has been shooting 500 three point shots a day.

That is good to know. And certainly it served her well at the all-star game. We just have to see how it translates during a game at the next level.

She is going to be challenged. But I don't doubt her grit, determination and effort. I don't think any of those things will ever be a problem for her.

i didn't know that

Alexa Middleton's (Murfreesboro, TN) High School Girls Basketball Stats

Middleton does not strike me as a 2 guard at this level. Maybe she'll prove me wrong, but if you hope to have a title-winning team the players at your 2 and 3 spots (not to mention the 1--point guard) have to be pretty special--Diamond Deshields special. Unless she's got surprising talent and athleticism, Middleton looks more like a point guard to me.

anybody notice in the pic of the team this year that has just been produced that Alex & Coach Summitt's eyes & brows are twins? Told ya'll months ago that Middleton could have a mean glare!

VN Store

Back