Compare 2013 to 2014 to 2015 LV BB

DrDave

What will we see this year compared to last year, and then next year compared to what we have this year?

And the more specific you can give, the better.

We are so far behind teams like ND and UConn that it doesn't really matter. Even in the SEC, Ky. and SC are equal to, or slightly ahead of us. It goes back to before CPS stepped down. We are not getting the top players we once did. That being said, we will be in contention to win the SEC as usual. That's about it. Our coaching isn't good enough to go beyond that.

We are so far behind teams like ND and UConn that it doesn't really matter. Even in the SEC, Ky. and SC are equal to, or slightly ahead of us. It goes back to before CPS stepped down. We are not getting the top players we once did. That being said, we will be in contention to win the SEC as usual. That's about it. Our coaching isn't good enough to go beyond that.

Give me a f-ing break. I can't tell if you are being real or sarcastic with this post but its beyond ridiculous to say that UK and South Carolina are equal to Tennessee in the SEC. Since 2010 Tennessee has won four SEC tournaments--only missing out on the 2013 title and three of the last 5 regular season titles for a total of 8. USC and UK each have one. Again, just so were clear UT has 4 times the number of combined titles that SC and UK have together.

We have definitely slipped nationally behind UConn and a few other schools but we still own the SEC.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Give me a f-ing break. I can't tell if you are being real or sarcastic with this post but its beyond ridiculous to say that UK and South Carolina are equal to Tennessee in the SEC. Since 2010 Tennessee has won four SEC tournaments--only missing out on the 2013 title and three of the last 5 regular season titles for a total of 8. USC and UK each have one. Again, just so were clear UT has 4 times the number of combined titles that SC and UK have together.

We have definitely slipped nationally behind UConn and a few other schools but we still own the SEC.

I agree with this post. The SEC always has surging teams in the SEC behind us. A few years ago it was GA, Auburn and LSU. Now it is USC and Kentucky with TA&M sporadically. UT is still consistently dominant in the SEC. Staley at USC and Caldwell at LSU could change that though.

It really is funny how some so called fans will say anything even though it is not true.

Reactions: 2 people
This is a tough to try and figure how good this team will be since this will be Holly's team officially this year. I hope to see her grow and to see our defense get better this year. Last year I wasn't a big fan of how soft the post game could be. It can't be overlooked that Holly is learning the rigors of being a head coach and having to try to fill the shoes of a legend so there are going to be bumps in the road. Remember Pat and Geno took a while before they started winning titles.

Sorry you feel that way TG....But that is how you feel, then so be it.

Starting with the coaching......Holly has assembled a very good staff. Not many coaches can say they won their conference their first year at the helm, and their conference's tournament their second year. Getting to the elite 8 her first year, and the sweet 16 her second is a major step as a head coach...She has done a fine job.

The 2014 class may prove to be legendary....This class will have for the first time in a long time, shooters that are known for offensive excellence. Dunbar, Nared, Middleton, and Tucker by mid season will have burned up many nets with deep 3 balls...They all posses the shooters arch, which usually means a high percentage of made 3's.

Gone will be the dependency on Simmons to carry the offensive load....She was a gallant lady that gave 100% on every possession. This class will have many players to carry the load. The name Tennessee across the chest will mean excellence again.

Izzy will be tremendous in the paint...She will have outside protection to protect the inside game. A luxury she has not enjoyed yet as a Lady Vol. Graves will refine her beast mode and be the Thunder for Izzy's Hammer. Ariel back at point will bring confidence back to the point guard position. Not many teams fare well with freshmen pg's running the show...We went further than I expected with the kids at point.

Our returning players will find their playing time dwindling if they don't learn to close the passing and driving lanes on D, and score with team work proficiency on offense. The freshmen are that good. They won't watch for long if the vets falter.

The 2015 class with Deshields, Cooper, and Jackson, will be extremely EXCITING! Diamond alone is enough to get any LVs imagination into overload. Her practicing with the 2014 class will forge the chemistry for great things to come.

I firmly believe the foundation for epic battles with UConn, which I consider a great organization, is being forged...Such clashes will bring WCBB back to the forefront of college basketball, where it belongs.

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 people

I think it is a stretch to say TENN is so far behind UCONN and ND. I think TENN is one superstar away from being equal or surpassing the best teams, and we may just have that starting in 15-16. There is consistent talent coming in this year and next and DD will be that superstar that puts TENN back up there.

Reactions: 2 people

Sometimes the truth hurts and a lot of what you said is true. We are behind ND and UConn, the last few years prove that. UT, USC, and KY are the top three teams in the league, that 's for sure. I disagree about us not getting the players we once did. If you look at the recruiting rankings we're in top five almost every single year. I'm still not sure about the coaching, at UT you're judged on Final Fours and National Titles and Holly hasn't been there yet.

We'll be able to tell a lot more about Holly's ability to coach this season. She has made some recruiting fixes that we needed badly. We now have several three point shooters that should make scoring from the perimeter a lot easier than it has been the last couple of seasons. If we don't have to try and force the inside game like we did last season we should be a better offensive team. You hit four or five threes teams have to spread their defense more then you can start going inside.
I don't think were very far behind UConn and Notre Dame in personnel. We may be behind in player development and coaching which will be determined this season if players that have been touted as three point shooters come through..
If Mercedes is not a lot better then it has been a wasted summer. If every player on last year's roster is not better then it has been a wasted summer. One thing about UConn is their players get better every year it is reflected in their numbers. You can look at what they did as freshmen, sophomores, etc. always an increase in production.

Reactions: 1 person

Starting with the coaching......Holly has assembled a very good staff. Not many coaches can say they won their conference their first year at the helm, and their conference's tournament their second year. Getting to the elite 8 her first year, and the sweet 16 her second is a major step as a head coach...She has done a fine job.

The 2014 class may prove to be legendary....This class will have for the first time in a long time, shooters that are known for offensive excellence. Dunbar, Nared, Middleton, and Tucker by mid season will have burned up many nets with deep 3 balls...They all posses the shooters arch, which usually means a high percentage of made 3's.

Gone will be the dependency on Simmons to carry the offensive load....She was a gallant lady that gave 100% on every possession. This class will have many players to carry the load. The name Tennessee across the chest will mean excellence again.

Izzy will be tremendous in the paint...She will have outside protection to protect the inside game. A luxury she has not enjoyed yet as a Lady Vol. Graves will refine her beast mode and be the Thunder for Izzy's Hammer. Ariel back at point will bring confidence back to the point guard position. Not many teams fare well with freshmen pg's running the show...We went further than I expected with the kids at point.

Our returning players will find their playing time dwindling if they don't learn to close the passing and driving lanes on D, and score with team work proficiency on offense. The freshmen are that good. They won't watch for long if the vets falter.

The 2015 class with Deshields, Cooper, and Jackson, will be extremely EXCITING! Diamond alone is enough to get any LVs imagination into overload. Her practicing with the 2014 class will forge the chemistry for great things to come.

I firmly believe the foundation for epic battles with UConn, which I consider a great organization, is being forged...Such clashes will bring WCBB back to the forefront of college basketball, where it belongs.
AMEN. I AGREE WITH EVERY WORD YOU SAID
I am excited for this year to get started and even more excited for 2015 with Diamond and Te'a.
I also agree about Meigan she gave 110 percent every time she hit the floor. She was just a streaky shooter and everyone else seemed to fall apart when she wasn't out there.

Last edited:
Did not mean to disrespect the current LVs, just being honest. Our storied LV program is still at the top in the conference, although Ky. and SC are catching up. If Ky. could get the players that we get he would be hard to beat. Our coaches have got to catch up with the elites with defensive intensity for our LVs to get back to the top. I keep hoping each year they will see that and develop a hard charging defense. I am a huge LV fan and want them to get back to the final four like they used to on a regular basis.

for the last 30, has it not? So to say that Warllck achieved something special by winning the SEC isn't quite accurate. We have more talent than anybody in the SEC. Kentucky and SC and LSU have closed the gap, but there is still a talent gap in our favor. And going to the elite 8 two years ago? We didn't have to beat one good team before facing Louisville, as I recall. Three relatively easy games. Most years we are nearly automatic to the NCAA Sweet 16 as we play two lesser teams at home. We have to be really down to fail to get to the Sweet 16. Also, you might be a wee bit optimistic calling the incoming class as "legendary." Tucker has had two knee surgeries and hasn't played since her junior year in high school. Middleton is a gamer but might have some athleticism issues. Nared looks promising and the other girl I believed played less than stellar competition. Hope you are right, however.

for the last 30, has it not? So to say that Warllck achieved something special by winning the SEC isn't quite accurate. We have more talent than anybody in the SEC. Kentucky and SC and LSU have closed the gap, but there is still a talent gap in our favor. And going to the elite 8 two years ago? We didn't have to beat one good team before facing Louisville, as I recall. Three relatively easy games. Most years we are nearly automatic to the NCAA Sweet 16 as we play two lesser teams at home. We have to be really down to fail to get to the Sweet 16. Also, you might be a wee bit optimistic calling the incoming class as "legendary." Tucker has had two knee surgeries and hasn't played since her junior year in high school. Middleton is a gamer but might have some athleticism issues. Nared looks promising and the other girl I believed played less than stellar competition. Hope you are right, however.

Not sure what you don't like about coach Holly....I don't know how many coaches have better first 2 year records than her, but the woman and the program have not been lost in transition like some feared... Many WCBB programs would be singing the praises of their coach if they had such accolades in 2 years, but here she is questioned. Thus the hazards of following a legend.

As far as competition being insignificant in getting to the Elite 8, remember she did that with Harrison with a gimpy knee and a fairly short bench. Like the Old West story goes, "Boot Hill" was full of bodies that thought the competition wasn't too stellar. All competition is capable of turning out your lights in the NCAA's... Ball State anyone.

I do feel this incoming class will be talked about glowingly for years to come. Four freshmen shooters, that are renown for their ability to put that round ball through the iron hoop from the 3 point line, are going to be lacing up their shoes together at TBA for the first time as players wearing the school's colors. They will grow together as the season unfolds and the fan base will thrill at the raining of 3 balls...Their opponents won't know who to cover. As a result of their aerial attack, the inside game will prosper like a Lemonade Vendor selling Lemonade on a hot sunny day...It is going to be EPIC, and we will have the honor of watching it unfold before our eyes.

These ladies will set the table for the game time arrival of "The Diamond" next season. And that my friend, is the subject for another time.

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people

I think USC has about equal talent with us now or maybe slightly better.

ha, usc is going down...... wilson is the most overated player in the country.... and C Staley is a time bomb ready to blow.....

mark it down!

DD transferred to UT because UNC will receive sanctions and records will be stripped....

mark it down!

USC, we had better guards than USC, last year.

wow gule. You most not no Dawn Staley, stay good USC!

ha, usc is going down...... wilson is the most overated player in the country.... and C Staley is a time bomb ready to blow.....

mark it down!

She didn't look very good in that All-Star game but that was street ball. Nared looked very good. But, USC got a lot of great players in this class.

I think it is a stretch to say TENN is so far behind UCONN and ND. I think TENN is one superstar away from being equal or surpassing the best teams, and we may just have that starting in 15-16. There is consistent talent coming in this year and next and DD will be that superstar that puts TENN back up there.

WOW - you are the first person I ever heard say anything like this.

well said :hi: i do think CHW is a very good coach

Reactions: 1 person
Sometimes the truth hurts and a lot of what you said is true. We are behind ND and UConn, the last few years prove that. UT, USC, and KY are the top three teams in the league, that 's for sure. I disagree about us not getting the players we once did. If you look at the recruiting rankings we're in top five almost every single year. I'm still not sure about the coaching, at UT you're judged on Final Fours and National Titles and Holly hasn't been there yet.

In the past few years, UCONN and ND have beaten teams with much better play in the back court. In 2015, Tennessee should be able to match their backcourt play. However, Tennessee must be able to play better defense inside if they want to compete for the NCAA title.

VN Store

Back