Upcoming season

boxerpupsrcool

I know we all are excited about the great recruting class coming together for 2015, but I'm also excited about this coming season. We are going to have a much more lethal outside presence than we did last year and I think that will open up our post players for some easy baskets. I personally think we challenge someone for the national championship. South Carolina will be really good too I think. I think dawn is building something special down there. So what does everybody think about this coming seasons. Anyone want to make predictions?

I have to see if any of the players have improved. Some of our problems from last season was getting defense out of some of the players. Everyone needs to be a lot better passers than last season. Nared could be a star as a freshman she has a lot of talent can create her own shot. I am optimistic that team will be much better than last season. I can see the shot selection being a lot better. The real key is improvement from several of the players on the team in a lot of areas.

In the beginning, we were actually a better team with the uptempo style of play. Trying to run on the fast break, going for steals, and trapping on every possession.Then later in the year they switched to trying to run a half-court offense and it was terrible from then on. Every possession whoever had the ball would dribble with the shot clock running down while everyone else would just stand and watch. That's why I didn't fault Simmons some of the time, because she was the one willing to make something happen. Also, PLEASE no more ZONE defense we got our behind shot out of gyms last year because of the zone. Next year just strictly man to man if they can't guard their man one on one then someone else will.

Reactions: 1 person
I know we all are excited about the great recruting class coming together for 2015, but I'm also excited about this coming season. We are going to have a much more lethal outside presence than we did last year and I think that will open up our post players for some easy baskets. I personally think we challenge someone for the national championship. South Carolina will be really good too I think. I think dawn is building something special down there. So what does everybody think about this coming seasons. Anyone want to make predictions?

I'm still not sure about Holly and her ability to lead the LV's back into National Championship contention. Her first overachieved by a wide margin, but last year they underachieved badly. I think they'll be good, but i'm not sure if they contend for a NC

I'm still not sure about Holly and her ability to lead the LV's back into National Championship contention. Her first overachieved by a wide margin, but last year they underachieved badly. I think they'll be good, but i'm not sure if they contend for a NC

They did about what I expected they would do last year. They were overrated in the preseason and it got everyone's expectations up. But they still wilted when challenged in the big games. They still have that mental hurdle to overcome.

Reading some of these posts about running a four guard offense you can see how unrealistic people are about what is possible and what is not. We will have to make a quantum leap to be a legit top four team and finish that way in the tournament. It is possible, but we will need to see more progress than most people seem to think.

Things could improve greatly if the following happens....

1. Players that have potential to really improve (whether by coaching or just growth thru maturity) such as Russell & Carter. Both are coming off of their first season at the D1 level. Experience alone can create a better player.
2. Tucker comes back healthy. If she does, then bye bye Burdick inconsistent play, turnovers, lack of speed/athleticism on the perimeter, and no three-point threat ability. That one position change could do wonders.
3. Nared. If she is as advertised, look out. We could put two very athletic, long, talented wings on the floor. Instant upgrades like this could push us to the elite level.
4. And I'm not putting these in order, but if Middleton and Dunbar can defend at this level, then we are a lot more versatile than last season, because these two can really shoot the basketball.

If these things come about, look out!

There is talent and experience, and we should do well, but there are also many questions. Among them:

1) Does Warlick know how to build and lead a championship contender? She and her staff have shown that they can recruit, but I have doubts about HW's mentality and the overall coaching.

2) Defense: UT hasn't been a good, tough man-defense team for a number of years. Slow players, soft players, indifferent defensive players. In the past UT NEVER played zone. In recent years, we've played it quite a lot because the man defense has been a problem--players getting beat regularly. We've got three or four players now who are fairly good at man defense--but it has to be better.

3) Turnovers/half-court offense: The achilles heel of UT basketball for a LONG time. I keep thinking the coaches will fix this problem--which is basically about slow ball movement and crappy passing, no sense of purpose in half-court sets--but they never do. We remain a poor passing team, which is why the assist/turnover ratio is not good, and that's a big reason why we can't beat the better teams.

4) Development of Graves, Jones and Russell: Graves and Jones simply have got to get better. Graves badly needs an offensive game in the half court, and Jones needs more basketball IQ. Harrison had no help inside--that's why we got thumped by Maryland, that and bad defense. I though Jones should have played more than Graves last year; instead she played far less. Jones turns the ball over, but she's not afraid offensively and can rebound and defend as good if not better than Graves. Jones would help the team more playing closer to the basket, IMO. Mercedes, with her body and good hands, needs to become a low post scoring threat--and there is absolutely no reason why she can't be.

4) Massengale. There have been a number of UT players over the years who so impressed me as freshman that I thought they'd be great--and then they weren't. Massengale would be close to the top of the list. She has the skills and body that outstanding point guards tend to have; she can distribute and shoot--her decision-making is fairly solid. BUT: she has never shown the toughness and leadership that you need to be a championship-level PG. And it is hard to see how that will change now that she is coming back from the head injury that kept her out far longer than expected last year; indeed, she didn't play again. I think Carter might be our best PG option, but then shooting guard becomes a question!

There are a lot of good pieces, but weaknesses too--and the mark of good coaches is that they play up individual and team strengths and play away from weaknesses, which results in the whole being greater than the sum of the pieces. I thought at times last year that the team was coming together in that way--but didn't happen. This feels like an important year.

Reactions: 2 people
Ariel is the main key to a strong season.....If she is healthy and fearless, the team will prosper.....If not, perhaps more of the same we saw last season, inconsistency.

Tucker at this point is an unknown....But she has a hell of a resume.

The 3 spot: Burdick is way to inconsistent and lacks confidence in herself, a needed ingredient for success...Jones had way to many offensive turnovers, but played tough man to man D....The incoming freshmen, if they are anything like their press clippings and YouTube videos, will transform that position into a position of strength, finally.

With the quick whistles by the refs for breathing on an offensive player, man to man defense will suffer...That is why some zone has to be played....Individual and team fouls were a huge problem last season.

Offensive philosophy has got to be modernized if we are to be elite again...We have the shooters now, give them an offensive scheme to succeed.

Russell has got to be a force in the paint, not just a tall girl...Izzy will play big and dominate her position...Graves has got to remember how to hit a lay up again.

Most importantly is ball security....We must have averaged double digit turnover ratio for the season...Each turnover was a lost scoring opportunity.

This team will be fun to follow.

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people
Turnovers were a huge problem last season. Players looking lost at times on where they should be was another problem. When Tenn was patient and passed the ball and getting the ball inside and kicking it out and making opponents play defense is when they looked good. To many games where Tenn looked good for one half and not so good the second half . Players need to be taught what to do and drilled on it. No playing favorites. Its all about the team winning and nothing else. Tenn has the talent now they have to learn to make plays through the team concept and not make plays one on one.

I hate saying this but UT is a long ways off from being able to beat UCONN right now.

We must have ball security next year. Be able to finish layups, and be a better free throw shooting team. We also need more passing and less one on one play. Our guards will be the key to how good we are next year.

has anybody heard anything about Massengales injury ?i assume it was a concussion and will she be able to play next season ?

i've said it before,with a lot of freshmen coming in,you never know how they will play at this level,some are going to land with a splash and some will struggle

it will be fun to watch what happens though,I'm ready for some Lady Vol basketball :)

Since the last Title, I do not believe we have had the players to compete with the elites. Holly can no longer walk onto the court and play basketball herself.

What payers are ranked as when they come out of high school (Russell) is useless about half the time. How many players has UT had the past five seasons that were McDonalds All-Americans? Plenty.

As for the upcoming season I think it will be about like last season, unless Russell improves a lot, and we have a player who can consistently hit the three pointers.

I am anxious to see how good UT will be in the 2015-2016 season with DeShields.

Last edited:
Since the last Title, I do not believe we have had the players to compete with the elites. Holly can no longer walk onto the court and play basketball herself.

What payers are ranked as when they come out of high school (Russell) is useless about half the time. How many players has UT had the past five seasons that were McDonalds All-Americans? Plenty.

As for the upcoming season I think it will be about like last season, unless Russell improves a lot, and we have a player who can consistently hit the three pointers.

This recruiting class has 3 point shooters, so here's hoping

Surgery on her knee in April?? Anyone know about that?

Sounds like she's happy & wants to play soon. :good!: That's great news right there coming from Ariel. I can't wait to see her back on the floor running the team along w/Carter & Reynolds. As far as her knee is concerned she may have had to clean some things up on it but she acted like it's no big deal.

Last edited:
I thought we were lacking perimeter shooters last season hopefully we have them now. A huge amount of turnovers were created because of trying to force the ball to a post. This year players with open shots need to take them our efficiency suffers greatly when we try to force plays. If we hit enough perimeter shots the inside will open up because clogging defenses will have to stretch a little more.

No doubt we had some growing pains after 2008 because we lost too many players at one time and the residual effects lingered because there were not any reliable upperclassman, veteran players to nurture the new players, but I do think we've had the talent the last two or three years and I think we've been in the mix. Granted, OTHER teams have fared a bit better than us when you look at star players like Griner and Maya, but we've had a couple of #1 seeds to the big dance plus several SEC regular season and tournament titles.

My personal opinion is that we have been missing the mark some getting players with that "refuse to lose" mentality and just general mental toughness that you need to make it to the next level. I also question some of the off season work. I feel pretty confident that Izzy really worked hard last Summer. I'm not sure if I can say the rest for others and that goes back to the mental side and doing everything you can to win. I heard that Cooper is supposed to be a huge gym rat and hard worker. Hopefully she's an example of correcting the ship.

First, this group has talent but mental toughness is one of several question marks. Massengale is a skilled PG but she's never shown championship leadership ability or mettle, in my opinion. That's a problem. Title teams start with excellent point guards.

Second, Graves and Jones simply have to improve their games. I think Warlick should have flipped their roles last year, with Jones getting more playing times than Graves as she has some offensive game whereas Graves has none. Both are them are good athletes--but they are also both rather clueless with the ball. They are holding back the team. If it's me, I'm playing Jones at the 4 spot before Graves when only one of Harrison or Russell is in the game at the 5. Warlick's personnel decisions of course will be important.

Third, must reduce turnovers. Move the ball on offense until someone gets an open look. As Volfan and myself and others have noted, please stop trying to force things. Run plays and keep moving the ball until somebody gets open. It's not rocket science.

Lot of good pieces but Warlick must prove she can put the puzzle together so that Vols have a well-functioning team.

Graves was SEC FOY and the only player on the All-SEC First Team her first year. She has a subpar second year which has a lot to do with lower back problems, and all of the sudden a very raw tweener who is known for taking ill-advised shots and turning the ball over at an alarming rate should be getting minutes over her? What?

JJ is an athletic freak. That's about it. She has better range than Bash, but she is very, very inconsistent with her shooting and driving ability. Her motor is inconsistent and it appears as if she has to get pissed off before she gets motivated. She has shown moments of brilliance, but every every moment of brilliance you get from her, you get three moments of ineptitude. I was very high on her coming into her career at UT but we are halfway through her career and I've basically lost all hope I had that she would be some sort of steal in that class.

Saying "they are rather clueless with the ball" as if to equate something is confusing to me. There is no question who is more careless with the ball between the two.

Reactions: 4 people
Playing Jones more than Graves at the 4 spot would be a monumental mistake. She doesn't have the toughness to mix it up like Graves and is too careless with the ball.
I agree about running the offense and moving the ball until someone gets a good look at the basket. Too often an early shot was taken when a much higher percentage of success could have been available in time with a few passes. Most often this quick shot was a Simmons jump shot from outside the arc.

The only problem with Jasmine is that she is reckless with the ball. Her physical ability is what is getting her playing time the last few years. Unless she has learned to control these mistakes, she may be sitin' the bench the next two years!

VN Store

Back